ONIONS - An Old World Cure.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
 DON’T LAUGH THIS WORKS

Onions - An Old World Cure.

An old family cure (wives’ tale) from the colonial period was to prevent sickness; place an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, change it weekly.

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu. Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Another thing I read in another article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague in that period in Europe. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties. I found that years later our own Ben Franklin wrote of this in his newspaper when in that business in Philadelphia.

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case. Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!

Maybe a so called “old wives tale“, but what the heck,. any port in a storm as the sailors used to say!

Haven't had a flu shot since middle school LOL. Needles and I just do not mix.

That is very  interesting though! I may have that a  try. First complaint from the girl friend about me smelling like onions though, may cause an issue :lol: :lol:

Muley, how can you dislike onions when you smell like one?

We did a 1260 mile river canoe trip following in the footsteps of Lewis & Clark years ago.  In their journals they wrote about using garlic for protection from flying insects.

Like always we followed suite, man you should have seen the looks we would get from anyone within a 20 foot radius. We could have knocked a cow down at 10 feet.  We were so use to the smell it didn't bother us and the best part never got a bite on the trip.

Told the wife "we didn't get bite by insects or humans".  That went over like a lead bomb.

Back