Open Breech/Plunger Style In-lines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
I have to say that I really really like them. They are so simple and very accurate. I find #11 caps on sale frequently (as little as a quarter a tin)and so I can shoot for little of nothing. With a round ball mold & the right chemicals (make your own powder)these guns might be one of the very best backwoodsman's rifles.

I wish someone made a cheap plunger style 20 gauge.

.62 caliber is 20 guage I believe. You might find them in sidelock, not sure about the smaller guages with inlines. Just get a .12 guage and use less powder/shot...

Oh, and I have three also, all Whites...Super 91's and Thunder shotgun. 8)

Swampman, I really want to encourage you in that powder development aspect of your post. Please continue to mix those chemicals together, who knows, the results of that could be extremely beneficial to all the members here.

flint head said:
Swampman, I really want to encourage you in that powder development aspect of your post. Please continue to mix those chemicals together, who knows, the results of that could be extremely beneficial to all the members here.

:lol: I saw that and forgot to leave a comment...surely??...never mind :roll:

I just want a bucket of those 25 cent tins of #11s.

Get me a bunch of them, Swampman. :D

Swampman said:
I have to say that I really really like them. They are so simple and very accurate. I find #11 caps on sale frequently (as little as a quarter a tin)and so I can shoot for little of nothing. With a round ball mold & the right chemicals (make your own powder)these guns might be one of the very best backwoodsman's rifles.

I wish someone made a cheap plunger style 20 gauge.

I like some of my old plunger guns as well, but if you can find #11 caps at a quarter a tin, WHY would you Pay $3.00 a "Box" (your words) for #11 Winchester caps? How many tins were in that $3 box anyways, or did you mean tin? I have only seen them in tins stuck to a buble pack card.

Swampman said:
The Walmart off 29N near Pensacola, FL had 2 CVA Optimas for $149.00 ea. They had the Omega Z5 kits for $225.00. They had a gray lam Omega for $485.00. The 2F 777 was $15.00 a lb. The T/C powder measures were $5.00 dagnabbit!

I bought some Winchester Magnum #11s for $3.00 a box.

Oh yeah, keep working on that powder. Let us know when you have the perfect formula! :roll: Oh, and be careful. :D :lol:

Last year I bought 8 boxes (800 caps) of Remington #11 caps for 25 cents a box at Walmart. Yesterday I bought 2 boxes (200 caps) of Winchester Magnums for $3.00 a box. When they are cheap I buy them.

Powder is very easy to make and will soon be unavailable IMO.

The Jan/Feb issue of Backwoodsman Magazine tells you how on page 30.

I think your door may soon be kicked in by jack booted thugs who may not approve.

:shock:

The open breech hammer striker model rifle is one of my favorite. Their simplistic design and easy to care for manner makes them safe and reliable. My Whites for instance with the double safety I think are one of the best muzzleloaders made, even though their breech is old technology.

I have an MK-85 that I hold on to in case I go to a state that requires iron sights. It shoots beautifully but the only problem I have had with it was in a freezing rain. Moisture in the breech froze and when I pulled the trigger on game the hammer stuttered and wouldn't strike hard enough to fire the cap. In talking with another friend about it, he reiterated a similar experience that caused him to turn away from the MK-85. Have any of you experienced this and how do you combat it? I have tried a couple of the breech covers manufactured to protect the underside of the scope but don't like them much.

When at the range I cover the bottom of the scope with duct tape. I use Warne QD rings so I can take the scope off, which makes it easier to clean the bottom of the scope as well as the breech area.

I've never had my plunger freeze up. If we have rain in the forecast I will take a plastic trash bag and cut it up so it will cover breech area to keep the water out.

We never have freezing rain here, but a strip of duct tape over that area will keep out the rain.

Open action

I have a TC System 1 and while a great shooter, my issue is I have knocked the cap off hunting thru the thick stuff. I was told to use a small piece of clear aquarium hose (cut smaller than the cap size) and place over the cap which does hold it on a bit tighter.

Re: Open action

NautiBuoys said:
I have a TC System 1 and while a great shooter, my issue is I have knocked the cap off hunting thru the thick stuff. I was told to use a small piece of clear aquarium hose (cut smaller than the cap size) and place over the cap which does hold it on a bit tighter.

Like Nimrodder said, try the RWS 1075 Plus caps. If they don't stay on, get a new nipple.

Maybe you are not pushing the cap on tight, use a inline capper and don't be afraid to push it on tight. I alway push them on as tight as I can, have never had one fire no matter how hard I pushed it on. Of course I always point in a safe direction while capping.

Try this, with an EMPTY rifle. Take your caps and UNLOADED rifle pointed in a safe direction, push the cap on as hard as you can. I bet you can't get the cap to fire fro just pushing it on. Now try to remove the cap, I have to use a special brass tool made by T/C to remove my caps. If yours comes off easily, try that new nipple, because yours is too small.

i too have a mk85, awesome gun,, nimrod, try some birchwood casey sheath on your mk 85 any any of the moving parts that fire the gun, i have been in some freezing rain and sleet where it still moved free a could be.i hunt a lot in the mountains of virgina where it can be from the lsingle digits up to the 60's and mine never fails me.

Back