Open letter to CVA Paramount and MRX 1-22 twist rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pleased to find this forum and as a newbie here I'll simply say that in the past I did a whale of a lot of posting at several ML forums.
So allow me to politely jump in with both feet here. Contrary to common knowledge, having space between powder and bullet is not an "obstruction" situation, and instead creates, via internal-ballistics principles, a larger powder-volume space. That means lower, not higher pressure is created by the ignition of the powder. There is, very rarely, an issue of "detonation", a poorly understood phenomenon in smokeless powder rifle loads wherein the primer flash might travel over the surface of a "leveled-out" powder load and thus ignite it far too fast, creating a highly excessive pressure peak. But note that is smokeless powder, and very rare.
So, using BP in caplock or flintlock MLs, or in an inline rifle, or Pyrodex, Triple7 or Blackhorn 209, will mean poor pressure buildup if the bullet migrates forward of the powder charge. And with the marvelous pressure capabilties of BH 209, its tendency is to ignite poorly if there is diminished restriction to its burning, such as a loose bullet, oversized bore, too-small sabot, etc. That means lower, not higher, pressure. Additionally, for what it's worth, BH 209 has a virtual duplicate of BP's pressure curve, meaning it is a very quick peak followed by rapid pressure drop-off. It also means that BH 209 is more likely to produce bullet oburation and hence fill the rifling grooves, than the other BP substitutes do, and gives it the remarkably low ES (extreme spread of velocity) in any given string of shots (provided that the bullet is tight in the bore via its initial diameter, sabot, skirt diameter, or bullet obturation at ignition).
In the later 1840s, there were some european MLs with typical soft iron barrels that had an iron post projecting forward from the breechplug (Delvigny style), intentionally creating a space between powder charge and bullet!
As far as undersized bullets, the ML ones that look jacketed are instead soft lead that has a thin copper coating to lessen fouling and look nice (read, cost an excessive amount). They are designed to obturate upon ignition of the powder (yes, that happens before the bullet even starts to move, which was proven by Dr. Franklin Mann in his 1902 book).
In closing, blown up barrels are virtually always caused by an actual obstruction in the barrel, which a fired bullet or shot charge meets, thus producing an instant pressure spike that may blow up the barrel.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa
It occurred to me that a disclaimer is needed with the above post I made. If you run a patched ball, bullet or skirted or saboted bullet down a bore that is fouled and it gets firmly stuck, that does form an obstruction of sorts, and you don't want a wad that is down on the powder slamming forward to that "obstruction" and possibly forming a "barrel ring" via sudden pressure jump at one spot, which the black powder cartridge shooters worry about. Again, a ball or bullet that has simply been moved forward by jostling, gravity or inadequate seating, and is not extremely tight in the barrel ( like a rusted-in load, for example a spit-patched ball left in the barrel) should fire on out, but perhaps rather poorly due to decreased velocity, or inadequate powder burn such as with BH 209 that likes to build pressure at ignition.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

do you have a budget recommendation ?
Nope unless you want to make a Scout rail work which ive been over before. Holes line up but the entire rail sits more forward on a CVA ML.

So you are back to the EGW extruded 6061 rail as the only other option unless you can find a well stocked USA Contessa dealer. Contessa makes a rail for Scouts that looks like it could be reversed and work.

This talley might be able to be reversed and/or work too. CVA Picatinny Rail
CVA-Picatinny.jpg

Last edited:
Man, sounds like I dodged a bullet on this one. I was looking at paramounts but didn't find any in stock.
Its a damn shame that it really is a crap shoot with these new CVA Paramounts & Accura lines with their inconsistent bores & blowback & BP issues. But - when you get one that isn't screwed up, they really are outstanding to shoot. My 2019 Paramount & Accura V2 .45 are both awesome.

I just sighted in and shot a good friend's MRX 50 cal no issues, about the only thing I could find aesthetically is the fit of the four end of the stock to the barrel if your OCD it is probably going to mess with you a little bit back to the rifle for a moment my accuracy load and all of the Acuras has become 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn in a 250 grain Fury in the Harvester black sabot that load instantly went to less than an inch on the rifle I stopped, clean the rifle up and ready to give it back to my friend for the Texas Muzzleloader season.

thanks MM . that's encouraging :) what distance ?
except for the forstock :(

anyone know what grade of aluminum the CVA EABCO PeepRib is made of ? ..... should it at least be more durable/stronger that what comes stock on a MRX ?

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/bases-rails/products/cva-eabco-ribpeep-peep-sights-127-813
Did you look at their other base for the CVAs. If you dont need a peep it might be a better choice.
https://www.eabco.net/Keylock-CVA-Scope-Mount-Base-Black-or-Silver-Finish_p_13912.html

ATM im not seeing any better deals on rings than the PRW2s. I like them better than the QRW2s to be honest. If you wanted to try a cheap one that should be overkill strong....SWFA SS rings with the 1" inserts might work. Guys like them without the insert for 30mm tubes. Just not sure how well their delrin inserts hold.

Loopie customer service is GREAT though if you loose a screw or something like that.

i like that much better ! i didn't look around their site . if i don't like the stock on i'll order that one after the 1st . thanks MM :)
There was a guy on here that had 2 CVA MRX rails bust. Replaced them with something else and no problem.

Oh and yeah, medium rings on the Keylock weaver base should clear the OBJ bell......Looks like it anyway. .850" to scope center + the base thickness.

Last edited:
i've got defender scope caps on it also . the bell is right at 2 inches so probally 2 3/16 maybe ... divide by 2 round up 1 1/8 to kiss . i don't know the height of the rail on the MRX though . the high PRW2 rings are .13 inches taller than the mediums . i don't think 1/8 inch will make a difference to my eye (even without an adjustable stock) but it may make a difference having a space between the cap and the barrel . am i over thinking it ? should i bump up to high PWR2s ?

those swfa rings look bad to the bone ! but the delrin ring ...... :(

i read somewhere about someone having flashing or burrs on the rail having to file them down so their scope would sit right and also about the rails breaking as you mentioned . was it you that posted a pic of one 54 ? i really like the looks of these weaver rings , but i could already see you posting about them being aluminum ! hahaha

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477135627?pid=290209

Last edited:
I know .815s fit mine with room to spare but thats on the Lehigh rail. It might be thicker. I think my 3-12x42 has the same bell OD.

54 will these PRW2 weaver rings provide a secure fit on the hanks picatinny rail ?
if not can you suggest a set of pic rings similar in price ?

Back