Open Sight Shooters!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Thought i would share this, I have a HORRIBLE time with regular open sights, This is truly a Game changer for me!

I got this idea from back when i was hurt in the woods logging MANY years ago, i got my right eye cut badly and it has never been the same since, I went to my Dr appt way back then (25 years or so ago) he said ‘lets do an eye test’ and figure out how well your vision is, I immediately got mad and said ‘AN EYE TEST?? Hell, i am blind in it, the only thing i can tell is daylight from dark! But other than that everything is nothing more than a Fuzzy mess, The Ole Doc Smiled and walked over to me with a large Ladle type spoon that had lots of tiny holes in it? He had me cover my good eye and he placed that Spoon looking thing in front of my blind eye, HOLY COW!!! I COULD SEE AGAIN!! And it was actually REALLY good vision! Quick as he took it away i was back to being ‘basically’ blind again. I wanted to glue that spoon to my head! :lol:

I recently got to thinking about that, and wondered if it would help my vision with regular buckhorn style open sights? So i went on a mission to make me a pair of glasses to try it out? All i did was drill a small hole (size of hole I don’t remember?) And covered the rest of the Lens in black tape to totally Darken it. This forces my vision directly through the little hole. It WORKED, AND WORKED AMAZING!! I can see the target Crystal clear, and my fine front blade is crystal clear. Any of you guys having a rough time seeing regular open sights, TRY THIS! :yeah: Tinker around with it, whats it gonna cost ya? An old pair of safety glasses, big deal! The tricky part is getting the hole in the correct place to naturally see thru it with your rifle shouldered, again just tinker around with it! For me it’s a total game changer and allows me to shoot regular open sights again :yeah:

Here is what i did
IrXykic.jpg

And here is an actual product i found that is made by Lyman, this is doing the EXACT same thing, called an EyePal
http://www.eyepalusa.com/how-works.php

An easier way to achieve the above is a pack of Stickers, poke different size holes in the center and test your vision. No need to pay for a Lyman, it’s Nothing more than a Sticker with a hole in it. It’s designed to ‘Cling’ to the Eyeglass Lens, Would be SUPER easy to make! I chose to drill a hole in an old pair of Shooting glasses. Either way, make a little hole so your eye is forced to look through it :yeah:

great except if you already wear glasses and cant see open sights, don't want to drill holes in a 800.00 pair of glasses :D
Guess could get a pair of clip on`s and do it to them.

dbowling said:
great except if you already wear glasses and cant see open sights, don't want to drill holes in a 800.00 pair of glasses :D

dbowling, :lol: You definitely wouldn’t want to do that!! Did you see the the Lyman one i linked above? It is designed to go on your shooting glasses, prescription glasses etc. Forcing your vision down through that little hole makes one heck of a Difference!! Here’s an easy test to try, poke a tiny hole in a piece of Dark paper and look through it with your shooting eye, focus on a small object on a Wall, Then take it away and see the difference? Then go back to it, take it back away. I think you would be amazed at the difference

they have something similar for shooting archery to be able to focus on pin/target..never tried it though may give one a whirl to see how it works, peep sights help me a lot.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

dbowling, :lol: You definitely wouldn’t want to do that!! Did you see the the Lyman one i linked above? It is designed to go on your shooting glasses, prescription glasses etc. Forcing your vision down through that little hole makes one heck of a Difference!! Here’s an easy test to try, poke a tiny hole in a piece of Dark paper and look through it with your shooting eye, focus on a small object on a Wall, Then take it away and see the difference? Then go back to it, take it back away. I think you would be amazed at the difference

Latest posts

Back