Opinions...SII vs Elite 4200

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK85Shooter

Reaction score
OK...I've made up my mind that I'm going to buy a 10ML-II some time this coming spring. I've been looking at scopes recently and I've narrowed it down to two. Sightron SII 3x9x42 and Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9x40. To me they seem like two of the better values on the market right now. Max I want to spend on a scope is $250. Sightron ~ $200 and Bushnell ~ $240. Scopes are similar in length and weight. I had a Sightron SII 3x9x42 and I liked it, but gave it to my dad when he damaged the scope that was on his Omega. I put my old Tasco World Class 1.75x5x20 back on my MK85 for this season since it was already sighted in for the load I am shooting.

I've looked through a couple of different Elite 4200's, (however, not specifically the 3x9x40), and optically they seem very similar to the Sightron to me. The only advantage I could see would be the Rainguard on the Bushnell. Don't know if its worth the extra $40.

These are the two that I've narrowed it down to. While they not be your choices, I'd appreciate any input from those that have experience with either or both.

Thanks,
Chris

I've got the Elite in a 3200. I wanted rainguard. I also wanted more magnification so went with a 4 - 12 X 40. Love it.

I have two Elites. Very happy with both of them.

The Elite 4200 will have better optics. The Sightron S-II will have more eye relief. Sightrons customer service eats Bushnells lunch. I'd go with the Sightron.

I love my 3200 but would also agree with Chuck on the Service issue ONLY.
Personally I like the Elite 3200 for the money. I don't think you will be able to tell the diff between the 3200 and 4200 unless you are trying to read an eye chart or license plate at dusk. JMHO

I own a Sightron II 3x9x42 Can't be happier. I plan on ordering another in the spring for my 209x50 m/l bbl. A great buy at $200. :D

Have you looked at Nikon's Prostaffs for Buckmasters?

I bought a Monarch for my yote gun this summer and when comparing the Nikons to Leupolds and such I felt they were as clear and brighter. The Prostaffs and Buckmasters can be had for your price range as well.

I can't compare the Sightron, but I'd put the Nikon up against the Bushnells. I'll be putting one on my 10ML-II, when I buy it as well. :wink:

Thanks for the input guys...even yours Grouse :p

Honestly, Leupold was on my short list but, (at least to my eyes), I'd have to go VX-III to equal the other two and that's way over my budget.

I'll make up my mind and probably bite the bullet shortly after the new year on both the gun and scope. I'd like to do a "touchy-feely" with a 4200 in 3x9x40 to compare. Based on the dimensions, it sounds like a 3200 with FULLY mulitcoated lenses. Looks like a trip across state to Cabelas is in order.

Sorry if this is a little off course for this post, but I have been hearing for YEARS and years now that Bushnell makes great optics for the $$$ but their C/S sucks butter milk. Is it realy THAT bad? I have shied away from their products by and large because of this supposed poor C/S issue.

Experiences anyone?

For the $$$$ I would go with the SII. I have had several 3200's and SII's that you are asking about but not a 4200. The optics on the SII are very good for the $$ you cant beat the Sightron. It really comes down to rainguard or customer service.

Sightron customer service is second to NONE!

Is it realy THAT bad? I have shied away from their products by and large because of this supposed poor C/S issue.

In my experience, yes. I think it took me 9 months to get a problem with an Elite 2.5-10X40 reconciled...and yes it keeps me from buying some of their scopes too. I otherwise like their 4-16 and 6-24 power scopes..still have some. I hope I never have to send another product to Overland Park, KS.

Back