Opinions wanted on a Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
Im looking at this flintlock rifle for sale on american longrifles. Its a 50 cal full stock hawken. Is there anything that any of you long time flint shooters can see with this rifle that it wouldnt make a guy a good rifle. The price on it is reasonable and I really like the looks of it. Thanks for your opinions Al                   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=39254.0

HELL YES BUY IT! 

It's a beautiful gun and very authentic. Don't hesitate and lose it to another buyer. I'd give my left nut for it.

Good quality parts and fit/finish looks well done. POI is easily adjusted and a tighter ball/patch combo will tighten the group. If within your budget and the pull/drop and caliber are right for you go for it. Everyone should have at least ONE flinter of their dreams.
TC

Nice looking gun. If you can afford it, buy it.

The only thing that would scare me is the weight. I'm puny.

It is a beautiful rifle, Al!

It is full of premier components. If the LOP fits you, I suggest buying it.

Of course you get into the interminable debate about whether a flintlock, full stock rifle was ever built by Hawken. I can show you photos of full stock Hawken and Gemmer percussion rifles at the Cody Museum, but I couldn't find flintlock versions.

I would definitely consider buying it.
Ron

Well Im not politically correct either and Im not going to let that make my decision on whether I bought a rifle I liked or not. I like this one because the barrel comes out of the stock with wedgies rather than pins. So if it means whether I can shoot or not with the authentic boys, I can just set up way down at the end of the line where I wont interfere with the authentic part of the shoot. I can shoot with the kids. :D Al

RonC said:
It is a beautiful rifle, Al!

It is full of premier components. If the LOP fits you, I suggest buying it.

Of course you get into the interminable debate about whether a flintlock, full stock rifle was ever built by Hawken. I can show you photos of full stock Hawken and Gemmer percussion rifles at the Cody Museum, but I couldn't find flintlock versions.

I would definitely consider buying it.
Ron
You sure about that? I researched it quite a bit once and asked on a lot of traditional forums if there ever was a flintlock halfstock Hawken. Nobody had ever saw one. What was found out is caplocks started with the halfstock Hawken. Which means all the full stock Hawken rifles were flintlocks. Any fullstock caplock Hawken rifles found have been converted from flintlocks. Which was quite common back then.

I'm only talking about Hawken rifles. Not any other plains type rifle.

1059.jpg

1059a.jpg

1059b.jpg

1059c.jpg

There are many reasons and justifications about why full stock, flintlock Hawken family rifles should certainly have been built, sold and used. But no one can come up with one.

There are several full stock percussion Hawken, Gemmer and family rifles at the Cody Museum, but not a single flint lock.

The discussion goes on and on on another site, even recently, but where are the rifles or even photos of the full stock flint locks?
oolxPO.jpg

ikrFHj.jpg

ATBCLK.jpg

Ron

Now, THAT flint lock is really cool, Muley!
I am pleased to be proved wrong.
Ron

I would like to ask about this guys proof loads. Im not real educated on his proofing. So what does he mean by  The rifle was proofed with 210 gr 3F, a .490 ball with a .015 ox-yoke patch. It was fired three times to establish POA, and then 5 shots were fired to prove group with 70 gr 3F , .015 patch and a .490 ball.  I know what the group firing is but Im wondering about the first part of his comment. I guess I don't understand the 210gr part.  Is the only way to adjust POI by movng the front sight or can one adjust by load also. Thanks Al

The 210gr loads were test loads to check the barrels strength. It's not done for you to copy.

RonC said:
Now, THAT flint lock is really cool, Muley!
I am pleased to be proved wrong.
Ron
 Just did more research, and we're both right. I may be right that the early fullstock rifles were flintlocks. The halfstock started with caplocks. I assumed when they started to make the half stock they quit making the full stock. That's not true. They continued to make fullstock guns right up to the end. Here's a fullstock Hawken made in 1850.

4171a.jpg

Ok thanks Muley I guess I didn't think of that. The proofed thing went right over the top of me little brain. Al

The rifle was proofed with 210 gr 3F which is about 3 times what you would be normally shooting.  BigAl52 that Hawken looks like a very nice rifle which would be fun to shoot and proud to own.  Remember, he who snoozes....looses.

I missed out on a flintlock myself on Gunbroker.  I hesitated from jumping on it and now someone else now has a very nice rifle.  They called it a Jaeger but it looked more like a English Sporting rifle which is more what I'm looking for.

Me thinks you need to buy that rifle........NOW!! :bounce: :bounce: :cheers:

I appreciate all the opinions on the flintlock. I decided to pass on it and chose to buy the GRRW from track. I have wanted one of the GRRW rifles since I have been looking at them. I think this will be a neat rifle to have. Al

aap-682_1.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I looked at that rifle on TOTW.
But, I have one that is somewhat similar and couldn't justify the purchase.
I'm glad it is going to a good home.
Have Fun,
Ron

Latest posts

Back