Optima, Hornady XTP Max PBR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided this year to sight in both my ML and my 350 Legend for Max Point Blank Range Hunting...anybody have any experience with this. Using a calculator, and using a conservative vital zone of 4", with muzzle velocity as published by BH209, the directions said to zero the Optima, shooting a 300 grain XTP with 63 grains of BH209 (w), to hit 1.34 inches high at 100 yards, and that that should mean I can hold center mass on a deer out to 140 yards and expect to hit vitals. Anybody else use this method? I don't have a range long enough to test 140 yards, but it worked correctly when pulled back from 100 to 50, like it hit where the range card said it would hit. - With 180 grain winchester powerpoint bullet in 350 Legend, this supposed to work out to 162 yards.

I am a big believer in the PBR factor... I sight all of my ML's in with a 6" PBR at 100 yards. Which computes the fact that though a given range you will not be more than 3" high or low with the POI. Works really well for me.

Check this thread out.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/pbr-point-blank-range-scope-zero.26613/
There use to be a very good Barnes Ballistic Program for doing the ballistics calculations. Since Windows 10 the program has been dropped. Today I use a couple of other programs and build in the 6" PBR.

This is an example of the printed sheet.

452x265-HP.jpg

Latest posts

Back