Optima V2 Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
In the next several weeks I will be trading for a lightly-used Optima V2 pistol.

It is my intention to shoot both Swiss black powder, and Blackhorn209 powder in the pistol.

I have spent quite some time reading old threads to try and educate myself on breech plugs for Blackhorn209 powder.

The consensus seems to be that the Lehigh Defense QRBP Breech Plug is the best available for the Optima/Accura line of weapons.

Is this correct?

Does Bestill Creations make a breech plug that is better, or fits better; than a stock CVA Blackhorn209 breech plug, or the Lehigh breech plug?

I am looking to purchase 2 breech plugs. One for the pistol, and a spare. Both that have been lapped/fitted properly. Along with enough vent liners to carry me through a decade of shooting.

This pistol will be my primary hunting/target shooting muzzleloading weapon. I live in a state where it is legal to hunt with a handgun.

Thanks for any, and all answers.

Bruce

lwh723

Explain why one should purchase this breech plug, please?

You are talking to someone who has never owned, nor shot, an inline. I don't know DIDDLY SQUAT!!

This Optima V2 pistol will be my first inline. I have a lot of experience shooting handguns, so I am confident that the transition to the V2 will be relatively smooth.

Thanks,
Bruce

Lehigh Defense, CVA and Western Powders offers a very good replacement plug for BH in CVA products. Click on the link shown below.

Lehigh Defense CVA BH breech plug

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=308
Lehigh replaceable Vent Liner

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=282
CVA replacement plug

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessories/cva-qrbp-blackhorn-209-breech-plug.html
Western Powders

https://www.westernpowders.com/breech_plugs?product_id=147
Now that I know that Lehigh builds a replacement plug it certainly may be the better plug in that it has replaceable vent liners. This feature extends the life of the way beyond the others.

Last edited:
I've used both the Western and CVA plugs and they both work fine. I'm using the Western at the moment and I like it better because it comes with a pin vice and proper size drill to clean the flame channel. It also comes with o-rings to use in case the primers get dirty from blowback. Also, a wrench to seat the plug the first time you install it. The CVA sometimes comes with the wrench. It's not a big deal though. There are other tools you can use to seat the plug.

Mine is only a year old, Accura it is. This is the CVA BH plug. It has been pulled and cleaned within a day or two of being shot, every time. This rifle has had 6 loads of 777 through it, with the factory plug. Every other load has been BH 209 with this plug. There is a ring of crap between the threaded portion of the breech and the bore that I cannot get out. It’s undercut in this area, it appears anyway, allowing a ring of stuff to build. It appears that it’s leaking where the rifling comes out of the bore, as it appears it’s only sealing by a few thousandths. I don’t know if the plug is actually reaching the bore, or if it’s supposed to. Not impressed....

Attachments

• 55547411-B414-461D-A429-7AAB812F9F72.jpeg
    55547411-B414-461D-A429-7AAB812F9F72.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 15
  • F7C7DBFE-2AF0-41DA-BB61-E2449E801614.jpeg
    F7C7DBFE-2AF0-41DA-BB61-E2449E801614.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 15
From all the reading I did here, and on other forums, I came to the conclusion that the Lehigh Defense breech plug with the removable vent liner seemed to me the most commonsensical solution.

If the breech plug was properly fitted at the beginning of its life (and this seems to be a HIGHLY controversial topic), then the replaceable vent liner should allow for a nearly unlimited breech plug life span.

Needing only to replace a vent liner when the flash hole eroded to a size that destroyed accuracy.

I am assuming that that nearly unlimited life span would be contingent upon properly installing the breech plug at the beginning of each shooting session or hunt.

As well as properly cleaning the firearm each and every time it was used.

Unless, I am missing something because of my limited knowledge of inlines?

Bruce, one thing that would add... be very protective of the interior nose of the BP. It is soft so that when tightened in place the nose can conform to the fit of the seat in the barrel. Dropping the nose on a hard surface can ruin the seal of the BP. Be very protective of the nose.

Bruce, one thing that would add... be very protective of the interior nose of the BP. It is soft so that when tightened in place the nose can conform to the fit of the seat in the barrel. Dropping the nose on a hard surface can ruin the seal of the BP. Be very protective of the nose.

Thanks for that advice!

Latest posts

Back