blow by on plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought the plug with vent liner to replace the week old new Black BH209 plug and the o rings that did not work
(with or with out) hope that helps/Ed
I'm going to try the o ring and see what happens but I'll probably get the vent liner plug too. It's a good price and cheaper than what I paid for the one that I already have!

Thanks for the info! I'll try the o ring and see what happens.
I'm no expert on inlines, but have learned a few things -- I think. If your rifle is hard to close with primer in place, "headspace" is too tight, so try tightenening either the firing pin bushing or the breech plug just slightly. Or try a slightly shorter primer. More blowby will of course occur with more powder charge, but the primers themselves do vary. Get a cheap digital caliper at Harbor Freight or elsewhere and measure both length and diameter of your primers.
Here's what I found by measuring the 209s I had on hand, Length and Diameter:
W209 (Winchester) .298-.303" L .242 D.
Rem Premier 209 .295 L .240 D.
Win Triple7 .304 L .242.5 D.
CCI inline ML .302.5 L +- .240.5 D.

So I measured all my selected Blackhorn 209-suitable primers (Win.), and chose the ones best suited to my primer pocket length and diameter. I needed the .303" L and .242 D. ones for best fit. The best fit does reduce fouling around and behind the primer, it seems to me. Try it.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

I'm no expert on inlines, but have learned a few things -- I think. If your rifle is hard to close with primer in place, "headspace" is too tight, so try tightenening either the firing pin bushing or the breech plug just slightly. Or try a slightly shorter primer. More blowby will of course occur with more powder charge, but the primers themselves do vary. Get a cheap digital caliper at Harbor Freight or elsewhere and measure both length and diameter of your primers.
Here's what I found by measuring the 209s I had on hand, Length and Diameter:
W209 (Winchester) .298-.303" L .242 D.
Rem Premier 209 .295 L .240 D.
Win Triple7 .304 L .242.5 D.
CCI inline ML .302.5 L +- .240.5 D.

So I measured all my selected Blackhorn 209-suitable primers (Win.), and chose the ones best suited to my primer pocket length and diameter. I needed the .303" L and .242 D. ones for best fit. The best fit does reduce fouling around and behind the primer, it seems to me. Try it.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa
I was using the Winchester W209 primers and the blowback was minimal. I found some Cci 209M primers and tried them this year and the blowback was a quite a bit more than the Winchester W209! I went with the Cci because I heard that they were better primers for the blackhorn powder. The real problem is finding either one of em! I'll try to measure em and see what I come up with.

How many shots did you have on the oring? I get 20-30 before mine leak.
Not more than 6-8 and saw no change in crap sneaking past , the funny thing is I think this is the same Optima I have in the pistol variation that I put on the AR stock . Same problem and the Black horn plug with the same o ring solved that problem ,speaking of problems that receiver is being replaced (they have had it since early Dec) ! Seems while final sighting in the week before season opener I went from great off the bench groups to off the pie plate groups and notice the stock was sloppy . Seems the receiver is what looks like (pot metal) and I tried tightening and heard a crack ,went back to the house and the screw that secures the stockwas never gonna hold again as it was split either side hanging on by a thread . Took photos to the company that who wholesales them to Muzzle loader.com I suspect , They responded back with a shipping label /bad news was it would take 4-5 weeks before I would see it . So the Renegades took care of deer season but That gun I was looking to hunt out of trees with (Renegades) ain't the slickest guns to get in a tree with but it all worked out @ 114yds (ranged)ran 20 yds and laid down , the happy camper is the neighbors kid I took and he had a solid rest 65 yds off the bench at our short range his 1st deer/ 1st Handi rifle 45/70 (mine) and his 1st gutting job !! So all around a great year/Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0529[1].JPG
    IMG_0529[1].JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0539[1].JPG
    IMG_0539[1].JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0538[1].JPG
    IMG_0538[1].JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not more than 6-8 and saw no change in crap sneaking past , the funny thing is I think this is the same Optima I have in the pistol variation that I put on the AR stock . Same problem and the Black horn plug with the same o ring solved that problem
I wonder if the problem could be the breech plug? Does this receiver seem like its loosening? Wobbly at the pin when its open?

Not more than 6-8 and saw no change in crap sneaking past , the funny thing is I think this is the same Optima I have in the pistol variation that I put on the AR stock . Same problem and the Black horn plug with the same o ring solved that problem ,speaking of problems that receiver is being replaced (they have had it since early Dec) ! Seems while final sighting in the week before season opener I went from great off the bench groups to off the pie plate groups and notice the stock was sloppy . Seems the receiver is what looks like (pot metal) and I tried tightening and heard a crack ,went back to the house and the screw that secures the stockwas never gonna hold again as it was split either side hanging on by a thread . Took photos to the company that who wholesales them to Muzzle loader.com I suspect , They responded back with a shipping label /bad news was it would take 4-5 weeks before I would see it . So the Renegades took care of deer season but That gun I was looking to hunt out of trees with (Renegades) ain't the slickest guns to get in a tree with but it all worked out @ 114yds (ranged)ran 20 yds and laid down , the happy camper is the neighbors kid I took and he had a solid rest 65 yds off the bench at our short range his 1st deer/ 1st Handi rifle 45/70 (mine) and his 1st gutting job !! So all around a great year/Ed
Up date on receiver, crock of crap on date /repair and reason for all to hear/ said they did not get until 1-4-23 when sent same day as retune label was sent think 12-2-22 and had not even looked at it! I pitched a ***** and got it Feb6/23 ! Same condition as shipped ,their gunsmith (eyes like Ray Charles) said he oiled receiver and included a new grip and cautioning against over tightening bolt as it might strip threads .Never asked for a new grip (old one works fine). I sent along with photos and much discussion about while shootin in cold conditions prior to opening day (WAY BACK WHEN) the grip got sloppy and when I tried to tighten heard a distinct snap . So I again sent new photos marked with a sharpy showing my concern . BPI said they would show photos to smith who said along after looking at photos it was probably a mold casting mark . And I said I never saw a crooked crack before I heard it snap . Chances of being renamed Ray Charles /heller Keller slim to none
(they're both dead) and I am forgetful . But I will remember this and the (lifetime warrantee) just figured it out ,they were counting on me going under ! Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0615[1].JPG
    IMG_0615[1].JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back