blow by on plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekjellander

Reaction score
brand new CVA Optima NM 90 gr OE 3F under a 50x40 Blue Harvester 50x40 sabot /CCI 209 primers . The load I ended up with due to flask of powder was running on empty /26 shots and 19 degrees out (thanks to electric vest/socks/hand warmer ) ! Got home started cleaning and what a mess in the breech /trigger group , kept up with wiping between shots /plug cleaning but noticed after the 1st couple shots primers got dirtier as I shot . Got home and measured primers , a portion went 297-96
also quite a few 98-99and 300 . Made sure the plug was clean and installed a rubber ring (McMaster-Carr # 5462109-01 )

9262K611 oil resist o ring 1 mmw, 4.5mm ID /296 -297 took 2 snaps to close and trigger hammer function work and 298-99
I could have stood a better chance of running the deer down ! Ant thing else to do , never had this much grief wit the CVA/V2 pistol/Ed

You could try to adjust the firing pin bushing.
Tighten it up all the way, then back it out a turn or two or three, see if that helps with blowby.
Just did tight all the way and works@ 297 /296 nope/298 yup so the problem is the primer gets dirty along with the receiver which is a big problem ! I could clean 3 side locks compared to this mess and tightened all the way works , I assume I will still have the dirty primer and going out with pin bushing just makes it non functioning /Ed

Last edited:
I wonder if a new breech plug would make any difference?
Not sure but this is brand new (BH 209 plug) and the one that comes with the gun again new , useless as tits on a bull/do not use pellets for anything but the parrot and air guns (the bird died)1

It's not always the primer's length, but the diameter than can lead to this kind of fouling. I'd try a different primer along with the o-rings and see if things don't get better.

I just noticed that you're using Old Ensyford black powder.
IDK if trying some Triple 7, or any other sub powder would be any better?

I just noticed that you're using Old Ensyford black powder.
IDK if trying some Triple 7, or any other sub powder would be any better?
I have lots of OE ,did I mention that? I bought the in line to try but subs cost and did I mention subs /nope . If I can't use black the gun will have to go . thinking I have the shorter version shooting to 200 yds the pocket rocket
CVA V2 pistol and do not have this issue with the plug or the o rings that cured the crap in the receiver ! Only thing different is barrel length/ it's new/ cost more. Same powder /primer /shooter me /scope and this comes with a nicer stock as the (pistol) has an ugly AR stock , but the ugly one shoots clean and this needs diapers /ok pampers

I use a rubber o-ring in my optima as well but have not had to use as much force to lock the action up. One easy “snap” is all it takes. Every primer I’ve used has come out clean and bright. The only difference is I forwent the CVA “Blackhorn” breech plug and bought an SSK plug with removable vent liner. $29 for the plug was more than worth it for me.

I use a rubber o-ring in my optima as well but have not had to use as much force to lock the action up. One easy “snap” is all it takes. Every primer I’ve used has come out clean and bright. The only difference is I forwent the CVA “Blackhorn” breech plug and bought an SSK plug with removable vent liner. $29 for the plug was more than worth it for me.
Who sells that plug ,I'll try anything as cleaning this is way to much (fun) as in (down the road) fun/Ed

Should I try the o rings first or just get this plug? I believe I paid around $50 for the blackhorn plug that I have now. I paid a little extra for the black one instead of the stainless one.

Latest posts

Back