Optima V2 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted my feelings about the CVA optima over in the Inline section. The tolerances on that pistol are just way too tight. I didn't get it to just shoot 10-30 rounds a year during hunting season. I think it could be a very useful survival tool with the 209 ignition, but not with the barrel being so prone to jamming up. I never had those issues with my Lymans Plains pistols.

Hangfire,
Can you please explain what you mean about the barrel being prone to jamming up? I own three and have never had any problems with it. I only shoot about 100 rounds in each a year, maybe a little less.

Just saw your other thread. Now I understand! I use xtp and crush rib sabots over 777along with the 20pgr sst in a blue sabot with no issues.
Thanks
John

I wrote a pretty long grumble in the inline forum. I've had it jam up both with thick patch round ball loads as well as sabots. I don't trust it.

I wrote a pretty long grumble in the inline forum. I've had it jam up both with thick patch round ball loads as well as sabots. I don't trust it.
I think you might reconsider that, unless you got one hell of a lemon, barrel wise, that it might just be what you are trying to feed the barrel, as opposed to the barrel being defective.

Bad barrels happen, but they are very rare. Not saying that your V2 pistol couldn't be defective, but the odds are against it in modern barrel manufacturing.

That barrel MAY be a little rough, or slightly choked toward the breech plug. I have a
PacNor barrel which is choked there and work around it, but have never tried patch
and ball.

Back