Out with the old

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear lots of guys say how easy the break actions are to clean and then i see this. Takes a tool to remove the bushing and if its that bad the action needs flushing out good. Thats another 2 tools to remove the buttstock right?
0vO5BJ5.jpg
We were talking about cleaning the barrel. How many tools does it take, to disassemble a bolt out of the Mod 700?

It does not take me any tools to take my Knight bolt apart. When using a Rem700 action and the Hankins/ASG modules you wont have to worry about fouling in the breach. The modules seal as well or better than a center fire cartridge.

All it took was a $25 plug upgrade to make my Knights spotless. 2 tools to take it totally apart. Well 3 if you include the ratchet.

From what im seeing and what i remember from my old Accura

1) Flat head to remove the front stock and clean/oil/inspect the action. Barrel has to come off to get at the firing pin bushing right?
2) Included tool to remove the firing pin bushing or a huge screw driver
3) Phillips to remove the cap to access the buttstock bolt
4) Allen to remove the buttstock bolt...Dont really want to be flushing it out with a solvent with the stock on do you?

All of that and you still can not get at the trigger assembly for a really good inspection. You just got to hose it out with something like GunScrubber and hope you did a good job. Even if fouling is not the main concern a thorough inspection should still be done when exposed to the elements occasionally at the very least.....So yeah i will suffer through using a breach plug that is not as easy to remove and the piece of mind that i can thoroughly clean/inspect mine just as easily or easier.

As I said, we were talking about cleaning the barrel after shooting. All I have to do is remove my BP with my fingers and run a couple of patches through it. My rifles do not have any blowby, so my firing pin area stays clean. I don't have to remove my trigger assembly, any more than anyone else has to, and certainly not after 20 shots at the range.

Gee, I wonder how I owned all these firearms, for so many years, and they are in such good shape? Maybe they didn't know that they were suppose to get dirty and rusted up from the owner being careful with them and being cleaned when they needed it.

Encore, thank you for starting this thread, it’s interesting stuff to me, sorry it morphed into petty bickering. I sure hope this isn’t how this site is gonna be in the future since the ownership change

When I joined this forum, it was all about good guys helping and sharing with each other, with Sabot Loader, being the go-to guy. I have not seen him posting. Is he still active?

OK...Out of pocket yesterday so I didn't get a look at what this thread had become or I would have been deleting posts. So...Any future posts that are not about the original post by Encore will be deleted.

BuckDoeHunter: Even though the site changed hands GM54-120, sabotloader, 03mossy, Idaholewis and myself are still Admins and have the ability to pretty much do what we did. Angie has been added and she is AWESOME and communicates with us.

When I joined this forum, it was all about good guys helping and sharing with each other, with Sabot Loader, being the go-to guy. I have not seen him posting. Is he still active?

Still is Chick...You just got a little off topic. Please start new threads if you want to discuss topics other than the OP. Sabotloader is still around and posting.

It does not take me any tools to take my Knight bolt apart. When using a Rem700 action and the Hankins/ASG modules you wont have to worry about fouling in the breach. The modules seal as well or better than a center fire cartridge.

All it took was a $25 plug upgrade to make my Knights spotless. 2 tools to take it totally apart. Well 3 if you include the ratchet.
Interested in the plug upgrade. What exactly are we talking about? Any help would be appreciated.

I’am new to this forum, but in no way to muzzleloading. I have owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-45 ( I’m sure nowhere near most you) and have hunted exclusively with them for the last 20 + years. I just don’t understand the big deal about having to use tools to take your bolt,action, or trigger assembly apart. I guess if you were hunting and forgot tools and had a problem tooless would be and advantage. Other than that is it just ease of disassembly?

I’am new to this forum, but in no way to muzzleloading. I have owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-45 ( I’m sure nowhere near most you) and have hunted exclusively with them for the last 20 + years. I just don’t understand the big deal about having to use tools to take your bolt,action, or trigger assembly apart. I guess if you were hunting and forgot tools and had a problem tooless would be and advantage. Other than that is it just ease of disassembly?

The original intent of this post, was about removing a DESIGNED non-removable breech plug and replacing it with a new design and much better removable breech plug. The design of the BP Xpress and for that matter the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, did not require the removal of the OEM breech plugs. The BP Xpress cleans extremely easy and fast, and yes, it and the RUM are both bolt action rifles.

The OEM breech plug was replaced with an AGS Gen2 breech plug, which never leaks and is a much stronger and better made plug. The same Gen2 plug is also available for the RUM through AGS.
The post got off track...…….

Well. I like to hunt, more than work on my rifle......

Latest posts

Back