Overshot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you prefer the thin card osc or something else? First muzzle loading shotgun just purchased. I’d like to kill a turkey with it. Knight tk2000. I’ve seen where someone recommended 1/8 felt

When I had a muzzleloader shotgun, which was years ago, I experimented with different wads, etc.
I ended up using 2 thin overshot cards. That seemed to work well with my setup.

Do you prefer the thin card osc or something else? First muzzle loading shotgun just purchased. I’d like to kill a turkey with it. Knight tk2000. I’ve seen where someone recommended 1/8 felt
Powder / equal amounts cream of wheat no wad /shot and then a Dura felt wad try it you'll like it /Ed

Powder / equal amounts cream of wheat no wad /shot and then a Dura felt wad try it you'll like it /Ed
I understand using your load in a traditional BP shotgun where the use of modern loading components aren't easy to use bc the gun isn't made to use them. The TK can be loaded just like a modern shotgun, minus the shell. So, your loading method is not the way to go in that gun IMHO.

Last edited:
I understand using your load in a traditional BP shotgun where the use of modern loading components are easy to use bc the gun is made to use them. The TK can be loaded just like a modern shotgun, minus the shell. So, your loading method is not the way to go in that gun IMHO.

Certainly for powder wad and shot but some type of card or wad needs to go on top to hold it all in place, just like on a roll crimped shell

This is one of those things you need to experiment with OP, since what is on top is acting as your crimp etc. to keep shot in place and allow pressure to build a bit before the payload lets loose and starts moving. A thin card wad of the right diameter will do the job for keeping stuff in place (unless your walk to the blind is *really* energetic) but it may not be the best performance for pattern. As said above, try a thin card or two, a thicker hard/nitro wad, even a oversized felt wad both dry and lightly lubed and maybe even very lubed. Play with patterns, when you are happy there give the gun the shake around bump around test to ensure the charge and shot all stay put, and good luck for gobbler season!

The thickness of the cards can vary depending on the load and shooter's preference, but a popular choice for the OP card is a .125" thick waterproof card, and for the OS card, a .025" thick card.

A 1/8" thick felt wad is a good starting point, but you may need to experiment with different thicknesses to find what works best for your specific load and gun.

I had a brand new NWTF TK2000 about 20 years ago and ended up selling it unfired, because I was too stupid to figure out the loading process.

Latest posts

Back