PA pellets in the Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20200808_090257.jpg
I tried out some of those PA conicals in the pistol today.
Range 50 yards, 70 grains of Swiss 3f powder.
My first 2 shots were low as I held my aim at the 6 o'clock position.
My next 5 shots, I held pretty much dead on center.
Not bad for open sights.
The PA conicals are definitely going to be my hunting bullet for the season.

You need to modify the title from pellets to conicals, it's confusing!!

Thanks for the data. My guess was that the PA Conical would shoot well in the Optima V2 pistol, but you are the first here to publish any data.

The PA Conical tends to be given short shrift nowadays, due mainly I think because Hornady bills it for use in slow twist barrels. Since the vast majority of folks these days are shooting fast twist rifled inline m-l's, not many people seem to think out side of the box enough to give these short, kinda ugly looking bullets a try.

In fact, when it comes to the Optima V2 pistol, it is my belief that if there were readily available lead conicals for sale over the counter, in the 250-300 grain weight range, with wide hunting meplats, then the TRUE versatility of this pistol would REALLY start to become known.

I just cannot wait to get my pistol.back from DOC White with the Javelina, two-handed, pistol grip stocks on it.

If there is a second stimulus check, and the pistols are still available for sale, then I might snatch up a second one.

Thanks for the data. My guess was that the PA Conical would shoot well in the Optima V2 pistol, but you are the first here to publish any data.

The PA Conical tends to be given short shrift nowadays, due mainly I think because Hornady bills it for use in slow twist barrels. Since the vast majority of folks these days are shooting fast twist rifled inline m-l's, not many people seem to think out side of the box enough to give these short, kinda ugly looking bullets a try.

In fact, when it comes to the Optima V2 pistol, it is my belief that if there were readily available lead conicals for sale over the counter, in the 250-300 grain weight range, with wide hunting meplats, then the TRUE versatility of this pistol would REALLY start to become known.

I just cannot wait to get my pistol.back from DOC White with the Javelina, two-handed, pistol grip stocks on it.

If there is a second stimulus check, and the pistols are still available for sale, then I might snatch up a second one.
I was very surprised how well they did for me. My plan was to start off with the Hornady xtp 240 grain hollow points, which I did and they shot very well. The little lead conicals shot way better, I think.

Back