Paper Patch bullet question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
As I have mentioned here several times, I have osteoarthritis in all my joints, but my shoulders is where the pain is expressing itself at the present.

I also have a .50 caliber LRH barrel that I have not as yet shot.

It, and the single-trigger Renegade, currently reside in my gunsmith's shop waiting for me to make up my mind what mods I am going to have performed.

My problem is that I want more than I can probably afford.

So, while I would REALLY, REALLY like to have the barrel re-lined to .45 caliber, I am financially going to have to stick with the .50 caliber LRH barrel as is.

The question for the PP gurus (shaved heads, saffron yellow robes, staring at their man-cave walls, humming "Don't wrinkle the PAPER, Grasshopper!!!") is:

Can I purchase a PP mold that will cast a 300-325 grain (relatively light weight) bullet, measuring approximately 0.494" in diameter (as cast), that when wrapped will stay on top of the powder charge/wad, ALL DAY LONG, during vigorous hunting conditions?

I really need to mitigate the recoil of this, new-to-me, fast twist .50 caliber rifle. I simply CANNOT AFFORD multiple barrels/rifles due to my fixed income. So making this one work with the least expenditure of funds is what I gotta do.

Bruce

imho, you can mitigate recoil cheap and easy. A good pad on the stock, I fitted a Crushzone recoil pad to my Rene. And a wearable shooting pad. I took a piece of silicone bike seat material from malwart for $10-$12 and had it sewn inside the shooting pad that cost $25? Now, if I remember to wear it, the recoil is about half what it use to feel like. I'm all about saving money.

You might want to look into the Crush Rib sabots and .452 pistol bullets.

I use a 255 grain cast and sized to .452 for some of my sabot loads.
Very mild recoil, depending on how hard you push it...

That is the beauty of the .50 LRH barrels, you have a large choice of projectiles.
Just depends on which sabot you choose.

Sam A.

imho, you can mitigate recoil cheap and easy. A good pad on the stock, I fitted a Crushzone recoil pad to my Rene. And a wearable shooting pad. I took a piece of silicone bike seat material from malwart for $10-$12 and had it sewn inside the shooting pad that cost $25? Now, if I remember to wear it, the recoil is about half what it use to feel like. I'm all about saving money.

I had looked at P.A.S.T. style pads that you wear, in addition to the recoil pad.

Never thought about a bike seat pad. I could sew a velcro closure pocket into a suitable shirt, by hand myself.

Thanks for the idea.

I had looked at P.A.S.T. style pads that you wear, in addition to the recoil pad.

Never thought about a bike seat pad. I could sew a velcro closure pocket into a suitable shirt, by hand myself.

Thanks for the idea.
my renegade pad is wearing a CVA Crushzone butt pad. Very close match without mods. ill send you pics of it.

You might want to look into the Crush Rib sabots and .452 pistol bullets.

I use a 255 grain cast and sized to .452 for some of my sabot loads.
Very mild recoil, depending on how hard you push it...

That is the beauty of the .50 LRH barrels, you have a large choice of projectiles.
Just depends on which sabot you choose.

Sam A.

I called Harvester last week to inquire about bulk pricing on the black crush rib sabots, and the hard cast bullets.

A case is 6100 sabots. Price quoted was $0.065 per sabot, or $396.50/ case, plus shipping.

The black crush rib sabot only fits the 330 grain, and 400 grain hard cast bullets that they sell together in the packages/20.

The company that made the bullets is out of business, but Harvester bought an enormous stock of the bullets before the company closed its doors.

I have not gotten a price back on a 330 grain, bulk, 3000 bullet purchase at this time.

I am not equipped, housing wise, to cast bullets. And, probably won't be for some time.

So, my thinking was to shoot the hard cast Harvester bullets in the crush rib sabots by purchasing some of the 20-packs. If they were accurate for my purposes, then I might consider a bulk purchase until such time as I can return to casting my own.

MY BIG PROBLEM is that there is SO MUCH interesting information here at MM, that I am suffering from information overload. Staying focused is a problem!!

Thanks to all.
Bruce

This is another Pet Peeve of mine with Paper Patch Bullets for MY STYLE of Elk Hunting, When i Elk hunt i am Covering Several Miles a Day, and can end up in ROUGH Country. The LAST thing i want to Worry about is a “Slip Fit” Paper Patch Bullet Sliding off the Powder Charge, i pull up and Shoot in the “Heat of the Moment” and Possibly Ring my Barrel, Ruining it. I have Loads that Fit GOOD N TIGHT, That i would Fully Trust. But here we are again With the ABSOLUTE NEED To Swab Between Shots (If using Real Blackpowder that is)

Here is a “Bump Test” i did on Paper Patch Bullets to see how much it would take to make them Slide?

Don’t get me Wrong, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Paper Patch Bullets, They are where i Started in this Hobby, I have Shot No telling how many Pounds of Them over the last 4 Years? A BUNCH!! I have MANY Custom Molds for .45, .50, and .54 Caliber. I enjoy everything about my Paper Patch Bullets, even Cutting the Papers :lewis: They are a REALLY Cool Bullet, with a Neat History. But To me Personally, I am NOT a Fan of them For My Style of Ground & Pound Type Hunting. If i were on a Whitetail Stand/Sit Type Hunt they Would be Just fine, I would Carry some Pre Soaked Alcohol Patches in a Sealed Container so i Could QUICKLY Swab, and Dry the Bore Before Reloading.

For MY Style of Hunting i will take a Good Snug/Tight Fitting Grease Groove Bullet over my Paper Patch Bullets ANY DAY. Where I REALLY Enjoy my Paper Patch Bullets is from my Bench, Shooting Targets.

I had an Extra Doe Tag a few years back and Decided to Fill it with 1 of my Muzzleloaders, I chose my Stainless 50 Cal LRH, with a Paper Patch Bullet from a Custom Mold i had made, It did a NUMBER on The Ole Doe :lewis:

Idahoron has used, and Swears by His Paper Patch Bullets, He has Killed a TON of Game with them. Ron has Methods of Carrying his Rifle that works for him, He obviously Trusts His PP Bullets, And that’s what Counts!! Trust in your Gear is an IMPORTANT Thing

Latest posts

Back