Paper Patched Bullets - 395 & 450 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
This time, 395gr Lyman Plains Bullet, Paper Patched. 70gr Pyrodex P, Lubed Wad from 50 yards. These loaded way to easily and after a couple shots, I decided that I may have better accuracy without swabbing to tighten the bullet up a little. Accuracy without swabbing I am extremely happy with!
100_1511.jpg

100_1512.jpg

Make'em Throw Up, 450gr Paper Patched bullet. Again, loaded super easy to the point where I would not be able to hunt with them. 70gr Pyrodex P was a very nice comfortable shooting load. After 3 shots ( these are marked with a RED slash ) I upped it to 80gr Pyrodex P and shot the last 2 bullets. It was a little more recoil, nothing hard on my neck, but the tacking on top of the wrist really grips your thumb and so, that was about the only pain I felt with this bullet/load combo.
100_1514.jpg

Bullet hole in bulls eye was a fouler load with a 12 O clock hold. All other shots were a 6 O clock hold. Accuracy seemed like it was actually improving. I'd sure in hell hate to try 90gr Pyrodex P! I'd have to put a leather glove on.
100_1513.jpg

For muzzleloading season and a .50cal its conical only now for elk and moose.

You can also tighten those PP bullets up by horsing around with your paper thickness. I'm with you on wanting a tight fit to avoid shifts during carry, but I don't want to be dependent on a fouled bore to achieve it.

Back