Paper Patching for Muzzleloaders (Video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis
It is fixing to storm again today so i rolled and sized some more bullets, maybe get to shoot some this weekend. Hornady Great Plains GG bullets .

IMG_0997.JPG

I then size them .499
IMG_0994.JPG

Then i roll them damp and they are .505 dia.
IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

Once they dry over nite they are resized again in my Lee .499 sizing die and they come out .500 dia. Still a good snug fit in my barrel and starts with thumb pressure.
IMG_0996.JPG
I need time to go play now. I got 20 rounds of Hornady Great Plains 385 grn HBHP-PP ready to go. Traditions Timber Ridge inline 1-32 twist 50 cal with #11 or #209 breech plugs with Goex, Swiss and T7 as propellants. May just use the #11 starting out. 65-70 grns starting loads. Work up from there.
DL

Lewis
It is fixing to storm again today so i rolled and sized some more bullets, maybe get to shoot some this weekend. Hornady Great Plains GG bullets .

View attachment 8668

I then size them .499
View attachment 8662

Then i roll them damp and they are .505 dia.
View attachment 8666

View attachment 8667

View attachment 8663

Once they dry over nite they are resized again in my Lee .499 sizing die and they come out .500 dia. Still a good snug fit in my barrel and starts with thumb pressure.
View attachment 8664
I need time to go play now. I got 20 rounds of Hornady Great Plains 385 grn HBHP-PP ready to go. Traditions Timber Ridge inline 1-32 twist 50 cal with #11 or #209 breech plugs with Goex, Swiss and T7 as propellants. May just use the #11 starting out. 65-70 grns starting loads. Work up from there.
DL

Looks good DL :lewis: I have Paper Patched that Same Bullet and it Shot well for me. I go at it a Bit Differently. I Lube, and size the Lead Bullet itself to .492-.493, Then i Patch it “UP” to Bore. I am not a Fan of Sizing the Bullet with the Paper on it. If you choose to do that, I HIGHLY advise you to use the New onion Skin Paper from the Paper mill Store, I did a LOT of testing this Stuff a LONG time ago. That particular Paper is REALLY SLICK stuff, and it will “SHUCK” Away Upon Exiting the Bore (As a Paper Patch Bullet is Suppose to do) I did this Same Test with the Old “Vintage” 25% Cotton Onion Skin Paper, I shot 5 or 6 Bullets in to a Sand Trap, And EVERY SINGLE Bullet had Paper Stuck to it!

This stuff can easily be found with a little searching, i have spoke of this for Several years now

Here is that Same Bullet you are Tinkering With. Again, it shot well for me
YVkJPnOl.jpg

This was years ago when i was Testing NUMEROUS ways. Here you can see the Paper “WELDED” Bit in to the Bullet Bands, this was my Old 25% Cotton Paper, This Bullet was .501-.502 from the Mold, Then ad 2 Wraps of my Particular Paper and these Bullets ended up .508-.509 When Patched, Then i FORCED them through a .498-.499 Sizer, Here is where you get “STUCK” Papers that Ride the Bullet. Again, if you choose to Go this Route, I HIGHLY advise you to use the New 9# Onion Skin Paper you get from the Paper Mill Store Online (Wood fibre stuff I believe?) It is REALLY SLICK! And in my EXTENSIVE Testing they will “SHUCK” away from the Bullet upon Exiting.

gA9AZvrm.jpg

My FIRST Advice will ALWAYS be to use a Bullet that is of CORRECT Diameter from the Bullet Mold. That will be .492-.493 for most .50 Cals. Then you Patch that Bullet, Bringing the Diameter “UP TO BORE” Actually just slightly under. That is the Correct way to go about it :lewis:

There is more than 1 way to Skin a Cat, the important part is that you get the Hide off of it :)

Lewis

FIDELITY Onion Skin White Paper - 8 1/2 x 11 in 10 lb Bond Smooth 100 per Package.

This is the paper i am using that we had discussed using before. It measures right around .002 single thickness. I know from our talks that the best way is size down then paper patch back up to size, but at the moment i dont have a .492-.493 sizing die. I dont cast so right now this is my best option till I get more equipment, smaller size dies. I also sized the factory lubed Horndy PB then i clean them then patch them. I didnt patch over the lube but i guess you could huh? I can get 21 cuts per sheet of paper and i just got in 200 sheets so that gives me roughly enough for 4200 bullets, more than a life time supply for me. I got 385 grn and 410 grn Hornady Plains Bullets. The 385's are hollow point where as the 410's are not. Both are hollow base and swaged lead. We all gotta start somewhere and learn on our own, with guidance from guys in the know. As i always listen to people with a little more experience, i have cotton balls and 54 cal 1/8 wool wads to go with these bullets. I may be getting another inline with a 50 cal 1-28 twist barrel, a CVA Wolf break action. That way i can test both and keep the one i like best. I will always have my 1-48 TC Hawken 50 cal. These bullets may run good in it also.
DL

Lewis

FIDELITY Onion Skin White Paper - 8 1/2 x 11 in 10 lb Bond Smooth 100 per Package.

This is the paper i am using that we had discussed using before. It measures right around .002 single thickness. I know from our talks that the best way is size down then paper patch back up to size, but at the moment i dont have a .492-.493 sizing die. I dont cast so right now this is my best option till I get more equipment, smaller size dies. I also sized the factory lubed Horndy PB then i clean them then patch them. I didnt patch over the lube but i guess you could huh? I can get 21 cuts per sheet of paper and i just got in 200 sheets so that gives me roughly enough for 4200 bullets, more than a life time supply for me. I got 385 grn and 410 grn Hornady Plains Bullets. The 385's are hollow point where as the 410's are not. Both are hollow base and swaged lead. We all gotta start somewhere and learn on our own, with guidance from guys in the know. As i always listen to people with a little more experience, i have cotton balls and 54 cal 1/8 wool wads to go with these bullets. I may be getting another inline with a 50 cal 1-28 twist barrel, a CVA Wolf break action. That way i can test both and keep the one i like best. I will always have my 1-48 TC Hawken 50 cal. These bullets may run good in it also.
DL

That’s the Stuff DL,
https://www.thepapermillstore.com/f...-11-in-10-lb-bond-smooth-100-per-package.html
Like I said above, i tested this extensively a few years ago and this Paper will DEFINITELY “SHUCK” away from the Bullet like you want it to do, I had ZERO Hitchhikers in my Testing. The problem came from my Old “Vintage” 25% Cotton 9# Onion Skin Paper, It “Bites in” and GRABS the Bullet When i Harsh Sized with the Paper on the Bullet, My Old 25% Cotton 9# Onion Skin Paper is NOT Slick, Whereas The Paper Mill Stores Wood Fiber paper that i tested is VERY SLICK Stuff and Won’t “Bite in” and Grab The Bullet. Even after HARSH Sizing with the Paper on the Bullet i could stil grab the Nose of the Bullet, hold the Paper jacket with the other and i could Turn the Bullet in the Jacket. This could NOT be done with my Old 25% Cotton Stuff, It was STUCK to the Bullet after Sizing, and is PRECISELY where my Stuck Paper problems Came from.

Even though what you are doing is not ideal, if done correctly it definitely Works. Idahoron has been Doing this for Years with Great success. Me being a perfectionist, I personally didn’t like Ron’s method, Even Though i Learned how to make it work Well. I instead chose The way of Our World Level Shooters, They are who I learned to Paper Patch my Bullets From.

If a person decides to Take Paper Patching Bullets SERIOUS like i did, It is NO MORE expensive to do it Correct from the Start. Simply buy a Proven Mold that drops Correct Diameter Bullets that you need for YOUR Bore When Patched with the Paper you have, or is easily obtainable, Then Simply Patch them, Which will be Bringing them “UP to Bore”

Sizing a GROSSLY oversized Bullet Down to Correct PP Diameter, such as a .501-.502 Diameter Bullet Down to .492-.493 Can be done, But it is DEFINITELY NOT ideal, And Should be done in 2 Steps, I have done a LOT of this over the last 4-5 years, And i have had Very good Success Doing it.

Just Keep in mind, you will be nearly 100 Dollars in 2 Custom Lee Sizer Dies. You can Buy a CORRECT Diameter Paper Patch Bullet Mold From Accurate Molds for 70 Something Dollars if you Choose his Aluminum, and 125.00 Shipped to your Door for his Steel/Iron Molds.

Last edited:
I have explored the Buffalo Arms idea and when my supply of Hornady 410 GP bullets are gone this may be the way to go. As always i appreciate your advise and guidance. Glad your back here again. :lewis:
DL

I have explored the Buffalo Arms idea and when my supply of Hornady 410 GP bullets are gone this may be the way to go. As always i appreciate your advise and guidance. Glad your back here again. :lewis:
DL

No problem DL, The Smaller .492-450s are my Favorites, I have Shot some of my VERY BEST Groups with those, I HIGHLY recommend them

Lewis I like big lead. I got turned off early on sabots. Never really got into round balls all that much till I started shooting pistols. There I go with Dutch's system. I got 2 target pistols. One a 50 and one a 45.

One more question buddy, am i rolling them the right way or does it matter? I heard some say it does but i dont know for sure. Your thoughts?
DL

Lewis I like big lead. I got turned off early on sabots. Never really got into round balls all that much till I started shooting pistols. There I go with Dutch's system. I got 2 target pistols. One a 50 and one a 45.

I just got done shooting a Blackpowder Pistol, That is a VERY NEW Game to me! I just posted it in the Pistol Section.

Back on track with Paper Patching, Here is a little 45 Caliber Bullet i Paper Patched, To much for my New Pistol Though

q349hu3l.jpg

The Paper Jacket by Paul Mathews

Yep, that's the source! The book had been out of print for some time, the good news that it is once again available, I got my copy a couple of weeks ago. Excellent resource!

Yes i got a copy also and read it cover to cover in a day. Next i will reread it more slowly and absorb all i can.
DL

DL, I have most every book that's out there and by far the most valuable and informative is" Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets, A beginners guide". By Randolph S. Wright. It takes you from start to finish and then some.

Mike

DL, I have most every book that's out there and by far the most valuable and informative is" Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets, A beginners guide". By Randolph S. Wright. It takes you from start to finish and then some.

Mike

I also have than one too, and yes is is full of great, very usable information!
Curtis

Back