Loose conical options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkbark36

Reaction score
Shooting No Excuse conical out of my GPH .54 caliber.

They are sized to .541 to my understanding.

Last season I had consistent issues with conical sliding off the charge. With a bit of work I could get it to fall out of the barrel even.

Anyone have a few options to snug it up? Maybe cross patch? Paper patch?

I did a rudimentary PP last year with some receipt paper. Was snug going down but it stayed. Only one I shot like that so can't comment on accuracy or anything.

Thoughts? Ideas? Should I just sell the rifle and buy a new one??!!

Shooting No Excuse conical out of my GPH .54 caliber.

They are sized to .541 to my understanding.

Last season I had consistent issues with conical sliding off the charge. With a bit of work I could get it to fall out of the barrel even.

Anyone have a few options to snug it up? Maybe cross patch? Paper patch?

I did a rudimentary PP last year with some receipt paper. Was snug going down but it stayed. Only one I shot like that so can't comment on accuracy or anything.

Thoughts? Ideas? Should I just sell the rifle and buy a new one??!!
I don't understand ,my Renegade barrels (both 54) use 530/ 535 conicals cast by me Lyman Great Plains/Accurate molds using pure . The 530 is tight and the 535 is (way tight) and almost never used so what are you doing with a 541 ? Starting with a sledge hammer ? My bullets stay put and if they didn't I would change from pure to 40-1 alloy but starting with what your using would be a bear ! My suggestion is don't buy conicals but make them using pure with a good mold (like I mentioned ) and go from there, then you know exactly the BHN and adjust from there . As stated I hunt with what I make and adjust hardness out to 200 yds as it varies 50/100 yds soft and harder out to 200 . You can't buy that commercially ,it needs your impute , I know what my cast for that day is and too soft at yardage will not produce the same result as a harder bullet . Testing pentation at targets pre season proves it ./Ed

The .54 maxis I get from Dixie are 541 at base and 547 at base of nose cone

Start with some thumb pressure and pushes down smooth, no issues w coming off powder

I don't understand ,my Renegade barrels (both 54) use 530/ 535 conicals cast by me Lyman Great Plains/Accurate molds using pure . The 530 is tight and the 535 is (way tight) and almost never used so what are you doing with a 541 ? Starting with a sledge hammer ? My bullets stay put and if they didn't I would change from pure to 40-1 alloy but starting with what your using would be a bear ! My suggestion is don't buy conicals but make them using pure with a good mold (like I mentioned ) and go from there, then you know exactly the BHN and adjust from there . As stated I hunt with what I make and adjust hardness out to 200 yds as it varies 50/100 yds soft and harder out to 200 . You can't buy that commercially ,it needs your impute , I know what my cast for that day is and too soft at yardage will not produce the same result as a harder bullet . Testing pentation at targets pre season proves it ./Ed
I'm assuming a good amount of people use this size. From what I can tell No Excuses are fairly popular and both of their .54 caliber offerings are in either .541 or .542. They definitely don't start tough. Thumb pressure then go down with little more than rod pressure. Eventually I'll get into molding and sizing my own, but right now I'm just trying to make due with what I have.

My .54 Renegade will shoot .530 prb's with a .012-.018 patch. Don't have any .435 balls. Conicals that fit snug are the REAL 300 gr & the T/C Maxiball. I am thinking that less than a .542 will be a touch loose.

Try some a strip of teflon tape across the bore, then seat.

Or the thin onion skin paper strip.

1/2" wide.

The best option of all is to either cast or purchase conicals that are the correct diameter for your rifle. Adding a slight amount of tin will also make them less apt to slide off your charge.
I'll get there eventually with making my own.

I guess I could try some .542 from No Excuses to see if that extra .001 will make the difference for me.

Back