Patterned some more turkey loads....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
.....even though it was RAINING!

First I shot the Tominator again to see how it would do hunting. I used the same load as last time; 85gr ffg Swiss, 1 3/4 oz by volume B/P #5 nickel shot, B/P Turkey ranger shot cup. Here is the first shot from a fouled bore, 35yds:

Photo012.JPG

Now that's about the worst pattern this shotgun has ever shot! But that's the way it was. Now I think I would have still killed this turkey, expecially since I was shooting #5s. So I loaded up another just as before, second actual shot down the bore:

Photo008.JPG

Now that is MUCH better.... Just wonder if it likes a dirtier bore? I would think the opposite would be true.. At any rate this is a really good pattern!

I got a new TK2000 with a T/H stock...and put a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5X20 scope on it...

photo009%20_2_.jpg

Not the best photo in the world! :oops: Very cloudy/rainy...I'm gonna blame it on the light! 8) At any rate...I can't tell any difference between this TK2000 and my old one(JJ has it now! :lol: ) except for the stock and it includes a non-FPJ breechplug which I don't and won't use.. A representative at Knight told me to try #4s with this gun which I had never done..so TODAY I did! It was very easy to bore sight this gun and I fired one shot at 20yds and was on paper and adjusted the scope. I moved the target to 35yds. Using 90gr Swiss ffg, 1 7/8 ounce by volume Knight #4 shot, B/P Turkey Ranger wad I shot THIS:

Photo007.JPG

Now that's pretty good...especially considering that's #4s! That turkey would have been TOAST! This is one of the better patterns I have shot with a TK2000. SOOO...I decided to load up again and see what would happen on a SECOND shot:

Photo013.JPG

Not NEARLY as good :huh?: I have no idea why.. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and I'll also try the Knight 3.5 inch wad....BTW...it didn't SEEM like this TK2000 kicked as much as the other one I had.. T/H probably helped some and the recoil pad MAY be a little softer...but I don't know...

ANYWAY....here's the way a gun SHOULD pattern at 35yds:

IMG_0180.JPG

Courtesy of Mossberg 835, Winchester Supreme 3.5 inch #5s!

Big 6x6: What choke size and brand were you using in the Mossberg 835? Thanks

jims said:
Big 6x6: What choke size and brand were you using in the Mossberg 835? Thanks

I was using a M.A.D. Max MD-1007 .680 constriction. I have had it SEVERAL years and it has been a good one!

Actually any of them would have toasted that bird. If you can hit them right, they go down a lot easier then I ever thought. I want to get out and shoot mine somemore. Maybe I will cut the powder charge back and see if that helps.

Went back today....I want to keep checking to see how the guns shoot from a clean, oiled bore...just like when hunting. SO...when I first got to the range I snapped two #11 caps in the Tominator and two 209s in the TK2000. Then I poured about 50gr ffg Swiss into each gun, seated an over-powder wad and fired off to foul the bore. Then I loaded as usual and set up my target at 35yds. First up was the TK 2000 using the same 90gr ffg Swiss, 1 7/8 ounces of Knight #4s, B/P TK Ranger shotcup:

IMG_0239.JPG

Now IMO that's just not that good of a pattern. Now I believe that turkey is dead, but not by much. Mainly because those three #4s almost hit the bull.

Next up was the Tominator using 85gr ffg Swiss, 1 3/4 ounces Knight #5s, and a B/P Turkey Ranger shotcup:

IMG_0242.JPG

Now that turkey IS dead due to numerous hits.

NOW trying some other stuff in the TK2000...Here is the same EVERYTHING as above except I used Knight #6 shot:

IMG_0240.JPG

That's pretty good. Maybe better than the #4s with numerous good hits.

Now HERE is a different load. Knight 3.5 inch shotcup and used an empty to meaure shot, 95gr ffg Swiss, and Knight #4s:

IMG_0241.JPG

That's a kill and a decent pattern. This load will loosen your FILLINGS! The 3.5 inch Knight shotcup holds an actual 983grs of #4s! It will get your attention! I'm not sure I can do it or not!

So to close out my shotgun session I moved up the targets to 25yds.... Here are the targets:

IMG_0243.JPG

Tominator

IMG_0244.JPG

TK2000

CERTAINLY nothing to worry about at 25yds with either gun!

That pattern would make for a very dead turkey.

Courtesy of Mossberg 835, Winchester Supreme 3.5 inch #5s!

Man,,,you ARE into pain.. :lol: Ever try Hevi 13s out of that Mossberg? My 870 SPS-T LOVES the Hevis! 3.5" of 2.25 oz. #6s are awesome. :wink: Thank God for the jelly pad thats on her... :lol: The Hevis are actually rated at around 1095fps if I remember correctly. Much kinder than the Winchester loads.

Those turkeys are toast, by the way. :wink:

All the turkey birds would have been flopping... 100 grains of the Swiss, your turkey ranger wads, and 2oz of #6 shot in your new TK. Load this combo up and quit killing yourself... or your shoulder as the case may be,,, :wink:

flint head said:
All the turkey birds would have been flopping... 100 grains of the Swiss, your turkey ranger wads, and 2oz of #6 shot in your new TK. Load this combo up and quit killing yourself... or your shoulder as the case may be,,, :wink:

Well it IS kinda FUN to shoot these muzzleloading shotguns! I DO use a PAST strap-on recoil while at the range and it's not all THAT bad... :D It's especially fun to do something DIFFERENT!

Back