Pedersoli Hawken peeps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato boy

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a Hawken Hunter, fast twist 50. I thought I would like the rear peep, but I do not. My Lyman is miles ahead of the Pedersoli sight, IMO.Has anyone found a suitable alternative to the Pedersoli rear peep, I’d like to keep a peep sight, just not that one. I was even considering tapping the barrel. Any body been down this road?

I feel the same way about mine for Target Shooting, These Pedersoli Hawken Hunters are not Target Rifles, Hence the Name “Hawken Hunter” Me being a Target Shooter almost exclusively with my Muzzleloaders, I prefer a Fine adjust Peep Sight, This Pedersoli Hawken Hunter has a LARGE Ghost Ring Tang Peep designed around Low Light Hunting. I don’t plan to Change mine as i have Many other Muzzleloaders Setup for my preferred Style of Shooting. I plan to Work up a Good Load for this Pedersoli Hawken Hunter, Get It Zeroed at 100 Yards, Lock it down, and Have it Ready to Hunt.

I will need to look at my Pedersoli “Hawken Hunter” again and Measure Hole Spacing to be sure, But i am Confident a Guy could Mount a Lyman 57SML, or a Williams FP Hawken Peep on the Pedersoli in place of the Ghost Ring Setup that comes with them (Hole Spacing looked the same, best i can remember?) The Pedersoli being a NON Hooked Breech Setup makes it less convenient for Barrel Removal to Clean The way i do in a Bucket of Water, I have to Pull the Front Tang Machine Screw so i can Swing the Peep to the Side for Barrel Removal, as the Tang is permanently Attached to the Barrel. This is NOT a Big deal, Just not as Convenient as my TC’s With Hooked Breeches.

I understand the concept of the large peep, I have them on several rifles. I’m a firm believer in practicing with what I hunt with, the Pedersoli set up is an ok low light sight. I’m not always in low light however. The Williams and Lyman sights are convertible from large peep to whatever in seconds. This is where the Pedersoli fails in my opinion. No versatility, I’m also not wild about the adjustment method, it’s a set it and forget it design, well I also like to plink with round ball in summer, again not very versatile. I tried mounting the 57 Lyman ( excellent sight) the angle however was completely wrong, it would take a lot of shimming and looks kinda goofy. I wish Pedersoli had threads for different apertures or at least had a right angle face instead of a ball with a hole drilled into it. There is no contrast for quick acquisition. Like I said, I’m looking for options, if anyone has used anything else for this rifle, I’d like to know. Thanks for your help

I understand the concept of the large peep, I have them on several rifles. I’m a firm believer in practicing with what I hunt with, the Pedersoli set up is an ok low light sight. I’m not always in low light however. The Williams and Lyman sights are convertible from large peep to whatever in seconds. This is where the Pedersoli fails in my opinion. No versatility, I’m also not wild about the adjustment method, it’s a set it and forget it design, well I also like to plink with round ball in summer, again not very versatile. I tried mounting the 57 Lyman ( excellent sight) the angle however was completely wrong, it would take a lot of shimming and looks kinda goofy. I wish Pedersoli had threads for different apertures or at least had a right angle face instead of a ball with a hole drilled into it. There is no contrast for quick acquisition. Like I said, I’m looking for options, if anyone has used anything else for this rifle, I’d like to know. Thanks for your help

The other thing a person could do is pull the Aperture Post from the Pedersoli, take it to a Machinest, or send it to one, Have them make one with a Threaded eye (The one on the Pedersoli is to thin to Cut threads in, at least it looked that way to me?) This way you could use Lyman, or Williams Apertures. That would be an Easy task for Anyone with the proper Tools. They could Probably fashion it from the Original Aperture Post? Again, I think this would be an easy task for a Machinest type Guy. I believe the Threading is 7/32-40

Ha great minds think alike! I did that last night!
The left over metal is very thin however, I don’t believe it would last “ in the bush “

Don't know if you found your answer, but on the sister site Cowboy has a few peeps for sale and one mentioned says with an extra peep

The problem isn’t usually the tapping, I tried the Lyman, the angle was way off. I’d have to shim, a lot. I’m also looking at a Lyman # 2

That is the Williams # 1340. I bought the same one a month ago. I am not sure what to think of it. I cant get my gun to shoot lower so it shoots 3" high at 50 yds. It is right on at 100yds however. I think it's a quality sight and made for hunting. It didn't improve my groups much over the old iron sights. I could buy a higher front glow sight and get a smaller peep. That would no doubt help my groups. I am only at about 3" @ 50 yds with the Swiss the other day . However, there was , , , of course 1 flyer . Without the flyer , it would have been about 1.75" . Good enough for hunting .

I had a Skinner Express installed on one of the Renegades, works well.

Attachments

• 995D0A17-71E4-478B-A234-869287E1FB59.jpeg
    995D0A17-71E4-478B-A234-869287E1FB59.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 41
  • D8DFEEF9-E2A3-4F12-A296-A9055532C158.jpeg
    D8DFEEF9-E2A3-4F12-A296-A9055532C158.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 893998FF-80BE-486D-B8F5-8E475E88582B.jpeg
    893998FF-80BE-486D-B8F5-8E475E88582B.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 36
I am dusting off my old T/C sidelocks after a long time away from black powder. I found these sights on eBay. Was able to zero using round balls. I may do the same with my 58 Big Boar. I am gathering supplies now. I ordered Lyman REAL molds. I have some 54 maxi's from way back when. Back to the sights, this combination was very easy to shoot and adjust.

This is a Lyman made Thompson Center rear with a medium ht Lyman front. T/C sold these back in the 80's and 90's. Now they are hard to find. T/C sold an extra high front and I dont believe that height is necessary. There is a windage screw. The windage is a pusher or stop. If you are making a list, consider these. I will include an over all view.

Hmm, the forum rotated the full gun view 90 degree. I think I will try and fix that. Nope, try again ... Please forgive me. I am new. Dang..... Ok, I know when to tap out. Here are 2 pics of sights.

Attachments

• Rear_peep.JPG
    Rear_peep.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 20
  • Front_globe.JPG
    Front_globe.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well Idaho Lewis you were right, I did manage to fit the Lyman 57ML, I just had to drill the wrist, epoxy two brass inserts and install. That angle on the tang was all wrong but the angle on the wrist was just right. Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• 3B2FDAB3-5728-494D-8F7E-4C5BC1A34940.jpeg
    3B2FDAB3-5728-494D-8F7E-4C5BC1A34940.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 33
Potato boy, I am interested in that set-up. How about your cheek position in regards to the sight being back aways?

Also, what aperture did you put on the Lyman. And what front sight are you using. Nice set-up.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

Potato boy, I am interested in that set-up. How about your cheek position in regards to the sight being back aways?

Also, what aperture did you put on the Lyman. And what front sight are you using. Nice set-up.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

The sight picture is great for me, no issues at all. Also with the peep closer to my eye, it works even better. The Lyman came with the standard peep, ( pictured ) as well as a 1/2” target peep. Plus you have the option of removing it all together for those low light condition. The front sight is original, I may have to replace it with a taller unit. I’ll test in a bit. Turned cold here lately, expecting 20-30 cm of snow in the next couple of days. I will have to delay shooting, that’s ok. I’ll be at the casting bench tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back