Pellets to powder

Discussion in 'New to Muzzleloading' started by 1 raggedhole, May 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. May 16, 2019 at 12:40 AM #1

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

This will be my second season owning my own muzzleloader. Ive used several different borrowed ones over the years all have used pellets. I want to make the switch over to powder and see if i cant get even better groups. Im shooting a cva accura pr with pyrodex pellets and barnes tez 250 gr. Im getting 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. I know thats not bad shooting but want to see if i can push 200 yard shots. Any help would be great because ive never shot with anything but pellets. Thanks.

2. May 17, 2019 at 4:27 AM #2

Checkmate

Checkmate

Checkmate

hi,

I posted a thread of my experience recently getting into muzzleloading. It has been quite fun. I started off with blackhorn 209 for a variety of reasons. The thread is:

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/a-huge-thank-you-and-a-question.33776/

I also posted a thread called "Newbie Help" which contains a ton of good info from some savvy folks here.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/newbie-help.33625/

Mind, I have shot less than 100 total shots, but so far the experiences I have had were pretty fun. I was able to punch a group just under 0.75" just the other week at 118 yards. My groups really strung out when I shot 110 grains of powder with the bullet/sabot i was using. I am still planning to test some other combos and try to increase the powder charge to get more velocity, but I haven't had the time yet.

I think the loose powder option was definitely the right choice for me, hopefully you find the results you are looking for. Best of luck in your endeavors.