Pellets to powder

Discussion in 'New to Muzzleloading' started by 1 raggedhole, May 16, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. May 16, 2019 #1

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

This will be my second season owning my own muzzleloader. Ive used several different borrowed ones over the years all have used pellets. I want to make the switch over to powder and see if i cant get even better groups. Im shooting a cva accura pr with pyrodex pellets and barnes tez 250 gr. Im getting 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards. I know thats not bad shooting but want to see if i can push 200 yard shots. Any help would be great because ive never shot with anything but pellets. Thanks.

2. May 17, 2019 #2

Checkmate

Checkmate

Checkmate

hi,

I posted a thread of my experience recently getting into muzzleloading. It has been quite fun. I started off with blackhorn 209 for a variety of reasons. The thread is:

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/a-huge-thank-you-and-a-question.33776/

I also posted a thread called "Newbie Help" which contains a ton of good info from some savvy folks here.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/newbie-help.33625/

Mind, I have shot less than 100 total shots, but so far the experiences I have had were pretty fun. I was able to punch a group just under 0.75" just the other week at 118 yards. My groups really strung out when I shot 110 grains of powder with the bullet/sabot i was using. I am still planning to test some other combos and try to increase the powder charge to get more velocity, but I haven't had the time yet.

I think the loose powder option was definitely the right choice for me, hopefully you find the results you are looking for. Best of luck in your endeavors.

3. Jun 29, 2019 #3

Dave951

Dave951

Dave951

Part of your grouping problems might be the amount of powder. You don't need huge amounts to get good groups. Play with the charge amount (don't be afraid to go down!) and seating pressure.

4. Jun 29, 2019 #4

GoexBlackhorn

GoexBlackhorn

GoexBlackhorn

Depending on your powder choice and bullet choice, 80-90 grains loose Goex FFF have produced harvests for me, out-to 150 yards. Mostly all XTPs, anywhere from 200-300 grains.
    I (somewhat) did a reverse of you a few years ago. I switched over and use 2 pellet loads, instead of Blackhorn 209 loose. That's with my Omega and Vision. In my sidelock, I'm still going with the Goex FFF.

5. Jul 7, 2019 #5

KTK

KTK

KTK

In NY, real black is extremely hard to get.
    I like Hogdon 777 FFG.

6. Jul 7, 2019 #6

txhunter58

txhunter58

txhunter58

The short answer is that I would start 25-50 yards with 90 gr, shoot three times, then 95 gr, shoot three times, 100, 105, 110...… Once you find an accurate load, then extend the distance.

I have never needed to go over 110 gr of powder, and my elk load is 90-95 gr of powder. However, I don't shoot past 150 (open sights only) so if you are looking for a 200 yard load, you might have to exceed 100 gr of powder. That said YOU MOST LIKELY DO NOT NEED 150 GR OF POWDER!

You definitely don't need that much to kill an animal, and the added cost and recoil both make me cringe. So why not try lesser amounts and see what happens.

7. Jul 8, 2019 #7

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

1 raggedhole

I know a 150g load is just to much and not needed. I'm going to work up a good load at 100 then move to 150 and then 200. I'm going to start with a light load and work up, was thinking about starting around 70g and just doing a lot of shooting