Percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody notice that percussion caps are getting harder to find.
I was checking a few sites and see that caps were out of stock with no backorder.

Anyone been inside a beretta tricentenial o/u 12 ga. I think my mainspring broke or slipped, cant find much on it, looks like i may be making my own. Thanks

Has anyone used the sky lighter black powder kit. I usually make my own charcoal, but was curious about the kit they offer, I do have a ball mill.

Bass pro shop or Cabela's is usually my last resort to find anything. I placed an order for 500 of the CCI number 11's, at Bass pro. I think I have another 300 or so in my box.
I also just recently received 2 pounds of 3f from Midway USA.
Which brings my inventory to about 7 pounds. So I think I'm good for a while.

Our North 40 Outfitters had some kind of a Close Out Sale Awhile back on CCi #11 Caps, They had THOUSANDS of them in Bins Reduced to 2.00, 2.50 a Tin (100 Caps) I suspected that they were gonna Stop Carrying them? I Bought 5,000 of them and didn’t hardly Scratch the Surface. I see they are now Carrying them again at Normal Price?

Our North 40 Outfitters had some kind of a Close Out Sale Awhile back on CCi #11 Caps, They had THOUSANDS of them in Bins Reduced to 2.00, 2.50 a Tin (100 Caps) I suspected that they were gonna Stop Carrying them? I Bought 5,000 of them and didn’t hardly Scratch the Surface. I see they are now Carrying them again at Normal Price?
Safe investment no doubt.

I noticed the same thing at our local ACE hardware. Like $3 a tin, now back up to like $5. I only bought a couple of packs. Side note: I was hunting one day in Enterprise, Utah (about 1000 residents in the town) and realized I only had about 6 caps in my capper, and none in my tackle box. Sometimes they fall out of the capper as you’re trudging through the thick scrub oak, so I went to the local sporting goods store to buy another tin. They were out.
On a whim, I bought instead, a pack of cap gun caps, you know the red plastic rings with six caps to a ring? Yeah that’s what I bought.
I cut one off the ring, it fit the nipple good, so I thought what the heck, pulled the trigger and the gun went boom. This was my Whitetail.
Don’t know if they would do the same in a sidelock, I suspect they would. I was loaded with either 777 or Pyro Select, don’t recall, I have switched back and forth over the last 35+ years...

The True Value hardware store in Burlington WIS. carries goex black! i would get some when we visited the wife's folks.

Jeeze, Lew. that should last you, what, like a week or 2?

Maybe this is off-topic, but do caps have an expiration date? I mean, so long as they stored in a coo, dry place.

WOW! Percussion caps in a hardware store! That blows my mind! I wish I lived in America instead of New Jersey.
Our local Ace has a pretty nice gun counter, reloading stuff, MZ supplies etc.. used to carry archery stuff as well, not any longer...

I am lucky that I live only 45 minutes away from a black powder gun shop. Been buying from there for over 30 years now. I can get about anything I want there in the way of caps, powder and other essentials. If they ever close down I will be lost.

WOW! Percussion caps in a hardware store! That blows my mind! I wish I lived in America instead of New Jersey.
I went into a Wal Mart in New Jersey a few years back. While waiting for my wife to finish shopping I decided to browse the sporting goods section. I asked the clerk where the guns, bows and ammo were. A guy behind me started belly laughing. After done laughing he says; "you ain't from around here, are you?''

Latest posts

Back