Percussion vs Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCountry1

Reaction score
Percussion vs Flintlock

What are the pros and cons. Of both percussion and flintlock rifles ? Is one any better than the other ? I am about to purchase a new BP rifle and i am just wanting some input ? Looking at the traditions mountain rifle. Also does anyone have any experience with Tennessee Valley arms ?

Re: Percussion vs Flintlock

TVA makes really nice guns. You won't be disappointed.

Is this your first sidelock muzzleloader? I'd suggest you start with a caplock if it is. The flintlock is an older design and can be a little finicky getting reliable fast ignition. You also need to get used to the pan flash going off in your face. The caplock is more friendly to a newer sidelock shooter.

i Have shot sidelocks in the past. but i have been a long shooter of inlines ml. I wanna go back to a traditional ML . Just for the plan fun of it. TVM shop is not far from my house. I wanna get a caplock first. But i plan on having me a flint rifle made to my specs. I like .50cal rifle bc i dont hunt anything bigger than deer. but a 54cal Flinter would be nice..

Some of use hunt for elk with a .50 PRB, so don't feel you're restricted to just deer with a .50.

Excellent !! round balls can make a nasty wound channel !!

I agree with Pete. Percussion is likely better for a start. 

Flintlock takes some extra getting used to at first. You need a few more 
tools. It is also less bad weather hardy. It IS, however, a load of fun 
(except for those days when it gets ornery).

Now, for those who are already readying their indignant defense 
of flintlocks? I have two things to say. 

:blah: :blah:
Oops. How did that get there? ;)
This is what I meant to say. 

1. I shoot flintlock, too, and enjoy it.
2. There is a reason they switched away from flint and to percussion: it works more easily and dependably.

sounds like very sound advise !! Thank you for the reply. I  am definitely gonna get a caplock gun first. I have shot a traditional muzzleloader in 15yrs  .

I shoot both, but always go back to my flintlock for these reasons. Just more challenging and bragging rights are at the top of the camp fire talk. Its always fun to brag about some of the shots made when hunting, and some of the issues experienced with weather conditions (wind, rain, snow, hot, cold) each can do strange things at the most unexpected time. Once you learn to shoot a flintlock you'll find your a better shot when using an in-line, or a cartridge gun and the reason for this is you have learned to follow through with each shot.

Many shooters think about the break of the trigger as the last step of shooting, since it comes at the end of all the preparation you undergo before taking a shot. The shooter has gotten into position, adjusted his sites, has a round ball seated, calmed his breathing, and so on. The point is that there’s actually a lot going on after the trigger breaks and, in order to shoot accurately, proper follow-through is absolutely required. Follow-through is to not disturb the rifle in any way during the time between the trigger break and the ball exiting the muzzle. 

Practice, there are (2) things you can do to develop good follow-through. First is to keep pressure on the trigger after the shot, holding it in its most rearward position in a deliberate manner. Letting your finger bounce forward is a common mistake, but with a bit of effort this is easy to correct. Second skill is hardier. You want to keep your eyes focused on the target with a laser-like intensity and try not to blink.

1). The first benefit is that it forces you to keep your head on the stock where it belongs. A common mistake rifle shooters make is to lift their head from the stock to get a better look at the target. This reaction is so automatic in some shooters that it’s funny to observe. Don’t do it.  
2). Try to not blink, many feel blinking is done so you will become more adept at calling your shots. Assuming you’re set up on the rifle correctly (so that it recoils straight back and stays aligned with the target), you will be able see hits and misses at closer ranges. (Spotting hits on targets farther away is easier since it takes longer for the ball to get there, giving you more time to reacquire the target with your sights.)  Just some thoughts that good shooters try and adjust too.

The MR is a fine looking and handling rifle. TVM is on a whole different level, but then again, so is the price. Buy what you can afford, or save a little more for what you really want.

If you have experience with a flintlock, they are a ton of fun! A pure headache if you get a picky one. Percussion I like the best for hunting. I bust my rear end off enough as it is to fool around with a flintlock during an important hunt that I waited 2-3 years to draw a tag. However, I am a risk taker and will hunt my doe this year with a flinter! LOL, and probably run into that bull elk I will be hunting with my percussion.

I have never used a flintlock. I have used percussion guns before. I am definitely getting a MR based on FrontierGander reviews. I dont think you can go wrong for the price and accuracy of that rifle. When i get a flintlock i will probaly get a TVA rifle. Thats is if i dont change my mind. I have always like Hawken style rifles. I wanna also get a Pedersoli RMH. I hunt swamp land mostly here in the south where i live. Reliable ignition is a must.

BigCountry said:
I have never used a flintlock. I have used percussion guns before. I am definitely getting a MR based on FrontierGander reviews. I dont think you can go wrong for the price and accuracy of that rifle. When i get a flintlock i will probaly get a TVA rifle. Thats is if i dont change my mind. I have always like Hawken style rifles. I wanna also get a Pedersoli RMH.  I hunt swamp land mostly here in the south where i live. Reliable ignition is a must.
Jack Gardner owned and started TVA then sold out to his son-in-law (the kids are nice folks).  I took Jack and his stock provider Freddie Harris on their first buffalo hunt. Those guys were use to shooting 85-100 lb. deer in Mississippi and when they saw an 1,800 lb. buffalo bull they started getting second thoughts. There were several of us there for support and backup shots if needed.

Jack and Freddie are use to 40-50 yard shots in brush not twice that distance on the Kansas plains. Needless to say their first adventure at shooting bison was a real eye opener for these southern boys. The first shots were at least 85 yards (they tried to tell us it was 50 yards). Anyway they managed to bounce a ball off the ground and hit him in the brisket, second shot wasn't much better. I'm screaming my lungs out for them to reload, "that bull is real mad and he coming for you two". That got their attention, once reloaded they did what was needed to end the danger. Other than that we had a good time.

The reason for bringing this up is I was buying muzzle loading stores that were for sale or kitchen table traders that wanted out. Paying .10-.15 cents on the retail dollar, they would give it some thought and half would take the offer. I purchased stores from Lakewood to Cheyenne, ending up with more parts than a six horse trailer could handle. When we walked in we took everything from counters to inventory. I had a 5,000 sq. ft. barn for storage. Met Gardner in St. Louis at a large encampment, asked if he needed barrels, locks, triggers, stocks, hardware and screws for TVA, he jumped at it. We did a trade, he got the parts for rifles in the "white". He was sending me a couple rifles each month for a few years, I had more guns in the "white" than the states of CO., WY., NE., and UT. Doc White would call to see if we had something he was looking for as did others having a sale and knowing I would trade, swap or sell outright.  Fun times with TVA.

I'll be damned if i'll use older technology than I want to so I can brag about it. That's ridiculous.

Then again I feel that way about bragging about anything.

Bear Claw said:
I'll be damned if i'll use older technology than I want to so I can brag about it. That's ridiculous.

The bragging part is some of the shots made with a flintlock that others couldn't make with their TC or CVA percussion guns. With some "a holes", its salt in the wound.

Bear Claw said:

Nope. Not 'ridiculous.' There is an extra feeling of accomplishment when the challenge is just a bit higher. 
And, it ain't really bragging. It is the pride in answering questions about the hunt and self reliance and all that other cool stuff we understand as black powder folk.

Them: "That is a NICE grizzly. What did you take it with?" 
You: "Oh, I used my .36 calibre smooth bore flintlock."
Them: "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!"
You: "Yeah, it was raining, the sun was in my eyes, it was snowing for some reason in 
90 degree weather, and I was standing on my head at the time. I just wanted to be certain 
I was giving the bear a sporting chance."

The bad-ass factor is off the charts! You become 'the most interesting man in the world.' :lol:

Note: I would not hunt a griz with a .36. I would need a reason to use flintlock. 
I would need serious back up to use percussion. I'm just saying...
:joker: :joker: :joker:

PS. Making shots "with a flintlock that others couldn't make with their TC or CVA percussion guns. With some "a holes", its salt in the wound." Yep. That, too!

I understand what bragging is and you two just described it. If that's your reason for shooting a flintlock. Then you've lost what the real reason is to use one.

Bragging is never a good reason to do anything. That's how I was brought up and I never saw a reason to change.

Bear Claw said:
I understand what bragging is and you two just described it. If that's your reason for shooting a flintlock. Then you've lost what the real reason is to use one.

Bragging is never a good reason to do anything. That's how I was brought up and I never saw a reason to change.
Somebody needs a hug... :lol: 

Its about the fun. Laugh, Pete. Its good for ya! Nothing will break. I swear! :joker:

*Pete as voiced by Walter from the Jeff Dunham shows: 
"Harrumph... KC is out there standing on his head while shooting a flintlock in the snowy heat. Idiot... Grumble... KC done went and forgot what shooting flintlock is all about! And, he's using' too much gun! A .22 calibre was good enough for my Grandpa and its good enough for him! ... fuss and kvetch... And, I don't see the need to change my underwear... they was good enough for me when I was brought up and I don't see the need to change!" 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:Hide:

I like flintlocks and will probably buy another one someday. Nothing against anybody using one.

I just question the motives for owning one.

I enjoy shooting the caplock, however, when at the range with my brother, I enjoy the flinter so much more.  For me it is just a lot of fun.  As far as hunting with the flinter, it would be more challenging, but for the hunters that's why they do it!  If successful, they are "worthy" of some bragging rights!

Well I was going to shoot my flinter today, but I just added a new nipple to my hunting rifle, so now I must go recheck its zero!

How much will changing the nipple affect your zero ??  Also who can point me in the direction of buying round balls in bulk?

Latest posts

Back