Percussion vs Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Percussion vs Flintlock

It can change it a lot, especially if it doesn't fire off the Pyrodex reliably. Hornady or speer is about all you'll find for bulk balls. Track of the wolf sells hand made balls, but how good they are, I don't know.

Casting yourself is a little money up front, but once you have everything, its super cheap.

Smokin' Joe said:
I enjoy shooting the caplock, however, when at the range with my brother, I enjoy the flinter so much more.  For me it is just a lot of fun.  As far as hunting with the flinter, it would be more challenging, but for the hunters that's why they do it!  If successful, they are "worthy" of some bragging rights!
Mine fired every time. Where's the challenge to deserve bragging rights? As for staying down on the shot after it fired. That should be done with any gun.

I think how someone hunts is the challenge. Not the gun used.

If I use my flinter for my doe, I'll be bragging :D :D

Roger that !!!!! i will look into all that once i get everything else arranged. i can see where casting urslef can save you a lil money

BigCountry said:
Roger that !!!!! i will look into all that once i get everything else arranged. i can see where casting urslef can save you a lil money
The biggest problem is finding a cheap source of good lead. If you can find that you'll save a bunch.

can u use tire weights ? i have never cast lead before just a thought .

You can, but it's not pure lead and will be harder.

I've read the stick on weights are pure lead. If that's true it will be a good source.

How much of a balance do you want 50/50 or 60/40 . Soft and hard combined

Personally, I want 100% pure soft lead.

I don't speak for anybody else.

Bear Claw said:
I like flintlocks and will probably buy another one someday. Nothing against anybody using one.

I just question the motives for owning one.
Several of our eastern states are "Flintlock Only Seasons" a special primitive season, like what Colorado use to be like when a dozen of us set the rules (they held that season until the manufactures like Remington, Ruger and a few others paid off the DOW to let them add in-lines in a primitive hunting season). The state muzzle loading association lobbied for the old primitive season to be brought back but money talks and we all know how piss poor the membership of the CSMLA is, always has been since it started and always will be. Lots of talkers but no doers Pete. Not bragging I was there in the beginning in the mid/late 60's and fought the wars with the DOW until 1990. Our jobs were not paid positions. The guys that I stood shoulder to shoulder with (many have passed on) and those left can only remember we gave it a 110% for a lost cause. 

We just couldn't see the trees for the forest, when you have 50,000 - 75,000 plus apply for permits and have to wait for years while you gather points. Then an outfitter with deep pockets has clients from out of state apply and draw before the ink is dry ($$$$) there's a problem). This is happening all across this land, I hear from old friends that were involved with their state associations around the country from time to time, same old story.

Pennsylvania has one of the strongest associations and run several muzzleloading seasons, one for primitive (flintlock only). Colorado screwed up and should have followed their lead. That's the facts Pete like it or not.

BigCountry said:
can u use tire weights ? i have never cast lead before just a thought .
 You can use it as long as its patched, but it is so hard it keeps its shape (round shape). Our club did many tests with wheel weights and adding different ratios of solder, range lead and pure lead - just doesn't work very well.

A friend cast some conical bullets for my 40/70 2-1/10 Sharps to do some testing on expansion, a waste of time. I shot several game animals (large and small) and had bad results, the bullets never expanded they kept their shape and just punched a hole.

Make a nice sound on steel gongs ...  :tongue:

Probably fine as long as they have been poured with the same heat, no voids, weigh the same (this is the hard one with the crappy material used for wheel weights) some metals separate leaving voids causing weigh differences.

Bear Claw said:
You can, but it's not pure lead and will be harder.

I've read the stick on weights are pure lead. If that's true it will be a good source.

Check old scrap yards (they buy different metals) your looking for battery lead (nasty smelling when melted) or the very best is lead sheet that phone cables were wrapped in. Every once in a while I run across it and grab what they have. Have always kept in touch with phone guys I use to work with, in farming communities they always remember where this stuff is laying in a cable yard.

Oh boy, you're going to hate what I say now.

It's true that Pennsylvania has a flintlock season and I applaud them for the effort. Unfortunately, they caved in worse than Colorado. It started with a PRB, but now with the new rules you can use a sabot. A sabot in a flintlock? Even in Colorado we can't use sabots.

I understand what you went through with the DOW in Colorado. I used a 30-30 to hunt in Colorado until 1980 when I switched to muzzleloaders. Ever since then and every year since then i've talked to the DOW about starting a primitive season.  It's hopeless and the really sad part is they think they have a primitive season now.

However, it doesn't really matter when it comes right down to it. We can make our hunts as primitive as we want. Even when we get laughed at for doing it. It doesn't matter.

However, no matter how difficult we make it for ourselves. It's no reason to brag about it. Especially, if that's the only reason you're doing it.

It's our choice to hunt the way we do and it should be done to bring pleasure to us and for no other reason. Nobody is better than anybody else. No matter how much you think so.

I have relations that hunt and live in Pennsylvania, have hunted with flintlocks for over 50 years on their properties 1,500 plus acres all private and access to that and several other farms of similar size, everything is posted and always will be. That's the way they like it.

I have bought more drinks at DOW meetings that even you could drink Pete. Didn't do anything other than gain a few more available permits for deer or elk the following season. Their big complaint was "it cost us money to field officers for special seasons". When asked about the amount of funds collected for a "special season" they walk away from you. There's always an excuse why they can't do something. At one time we submitted a plan for approval of a simple test to quality a hunter for a special season (muzzle loading). At least it got their attention and they voted on it. We had muzzle loading clubs on the western slope, down south, up north and out east willing to provide the free service of testing (no cost to DOW). They were afraid of the accidents, even though we had insurance through NRA.  No win win situation.

There's a group that I hunt with in Northern Colorado in the January (late season) a high power rifle season. We all hunt with flintlock rifles in period clothing and use the least amount of orange to meet the regulations. Not bragging, we just enjoy each other and what we like doing, hunting with flintlocks. This is where you had better know what your doing with the weather conditions, snow to your waist and keeping your powder dry in the barrel and the pan. Moisture, wind and just keeping your bearings is always a challenge.

High power guys ask "was that you guys over there" (half mile away or down the slope in the downed timber). The usual answer is "that was us, why? ". "Are you using old rifles, do they shoot". "One guy asked "why would you guys do that", the usual reply is "because we go where the game is and don't sit in a warm truck with a spotting scope complaining about no game animals".  That was the end of that communication and that's the way we like it.

We're a dying breed, but who cares? I could care squat what anybody else thinks. I get called a snob all the time for just using dry flies, bamboo rods, and silk lines when fly fishing. I ignore them. I do it because it brings me the most pleasure.

I'm the only one I have to please. The same with fish caught, range reports, and hunting kills. It's for me. I feel no need to take pictures of them.

conner said:
I shoot both, but always go back to my flintlock for these reasons. Just more challenging and bragging rights are at the top of the camp fire talk. Its always fun to brag about some of the shots made when hunting, and some of the issues experienced with weather conditions (wind, rain, snow, hot, cold) each can do strange things at the most unexpected time. Once you learn to shoot a flintlock you'll find your a better shot when using an in-line, or a cartridge gun and the reason for this is you have learned to follow through with each shot.

Many shooters think about the break of the trigger as the last step of shooting, since it comes at the end of all the preparation you undergo before taking a shot. The shooter has gotten into position, adjusted his sites, has a round ball seated, calmed his breathing, and so on. The point is that there’s actually a lot going on after the trigger breaks and, in order to shoot accurately, proper follow-through is absolutely required. Follow-through is to not disturb the rifle in any way during the time between the trigger break and the ball exiting the muzzle. 

Practice, there are (2) things you can do to develop good follow-through. First is to keep pressure on the trigger after the shot, holding it in its most rearward position in a deliberate manner. Letting your finger bounce forward is a common mistake, but with a bit of effort this is easy to correct. Second skill is hardier. You want to keep your eyes focused on the target with a laser-like intensity and try not to blink.

1). The first benefit is that it forces you to keep your head on the stock where it belongs. A common mistake rifle shooters make is to lift their head from the stock to get a better look at the target. This reaction is so automatic in some shooters that it’s funny to observe. Don’t do it.  
2). Try to not blink, many feel blinking is done so you will become more adept at calling your shots. Assuming you’re set up on the rifle correctly (so that it recoils straight back and stays aligned with the target), you will be able see hits and misses at closer ranges. (Spotting hits on targets farther away is easier since it takes longer for the ball to get there, giving you more time to reacquire the target with your sights.)  Just some thoughts that good shooters try and adjust too.

Agree with 99% but just one thing:

"
You want to keep your eyes focused on the target"

Your vision should be FOCUSED ON THE FRONT SIGHT!! :Salute: :ttups:

Here in Mississippi where i live our state has done awway with making you use a muzzleloader. You can use a single shot breech loading rifle with a straight walled cartridge. However some management area set there own rulles. They still make u pack the powder they are hunts by draw only. The draws only last 10 days. Adter that no gun hunting period on those lands you have to use a bow only.

At a National Rendezvous in Leadville CO in 1981 I was still fighting the muzzle loading season wars, we're in a 22' tipi. It was packed and several of us were being asked questions on how the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association saw the future of the sport with the DOW. We are just making suggestions and I mention Pennsylvania had a "flintlock only season".  

Within 10 minutes a group outside was ready to hang me from a lodge pole for mentioning this. Everyone inside tried to explain this was just a discussion not a consideration, that was a touchy moment until they realized what we were talking about.  Just one person ease dropping got this crap started. 

In those early years I was very lucky to have good friends to watch by back (several old bikers that would rather fight than f... ) not really, funny now but not then.

Bear Claw said:
We're a dying breed, but who cares? I could care squat what anybody else thinks. I get called a snob all the time for just using dry flies, bamboo rods, and silk lines when fly fishing. I ignore them. I do it because it brings me the most pleasure.
You care Pete or you wouldn't be here watching our backs.  :bow:

Latest posts

Back