Percussion vs Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Percussion vs Flintlock

strong eagle said:
you also will find when you recover these pure linen patches that they are not round in shape, they are square.
Huh....  I've been cutting at the muzzle for decades, and all I recover are octagonal.

I precut patches from from .020" mattress ticking and .025" denim and have fired quite a few round ones; I've seen no difference in the accuracy of either.  Rifling in some barrels can be quite deep.  My radius grooved barrels have .016" rifling and most of the square grooved ones are around .010".  Thicker patches compress into the grooves better helping seal the bore and prevent gas cutting.

they are square with the 4 edges nicked off. i can see how they could be taken  for octagon. their are many good patching materials, even tight woven hemp. i find linen to be consistant and never ever burned through or come apart.

Actually, I sometimes "nip" off the corners, too.

Hanshi said:
Percussions are simple and relatively foolproof.  And, yes, I do know there are many fools out there that are a new strain of fool.  But if you simply learn and listen a little it works out just fine.  Flints, on the other hand, require more attention to get the same reliability as a capgun.  I prefer flinters but do have both type and like them all.
Agreed.....

Back