Picked up a Greyhound Rescue Dog Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
The house isn't really large enough for a 3rd Greyhound, but this 8 month old was too good to resist. SHe only is about 35 pounds. Compare that with our male who is closer to 85 lbs.
She will be a foster with the possibility of adopting. My wife is a Colorado Greyhound Adoption foster coordinator, and we have had several fosters. We adopted many of these fosters over the years.
As is usual with Greyhounds, she has to adapt to a household. Windows, stairs and the routine of household life are all new to her.
She is very skinny with a healed broken leg that kept her off the race track. So far, she has a wonderful disposition. Now, we have to see how she is accepted by our other 2 Greyhounds.
jackie10.jpg

jackie11.jpg

We also recognize that 2 dogs act like 2 dogs. Three dogs become a pack. Pack behavior is different than individual dog behavior.
Ron

Ron, I have a lot of respect for people like you and your wife that foster dogs. I've read about Greyhounds that are raised for one purpose only after a short race life the owners have no more use for them.  I just want to say THANK YOU!!  She looks wonderful

Thank you, Joe!

My wife is the one who commits so much time to the rescue organization. She is a volunteer. I am a volunteered. :D

Now, we have 3, 40 mph couch potatoes.
Ron

She is a beautiful dog and deserves a great home. She is very lucky that you and your wife care about them. I sure hope she finds a loving and caring forever home. Its a shame people raise them for their own self serving wants and then dis guard them. Those kind of people have no heart or compassion.
God Bless you both for the volunteer work you do.

Our other two Greyhounds are a little put off, and the new one has to learn not to go nose-to-nose with them.
She is supposed to be cat safe, but is showing a little too much interest in the felines. That needs to be a subject of training.
Chief dog just below us in command structure:
asher210.jpg

And a female who had been a big race winner, then bred once and not cared for properly. We adopted her at 7 years old. No-one seemed to want an older dog. Once adopted, she had to have 13 teeth removed due to lack of proper care at the racing kennels. In her usual position:
2014-011.jpg

jess_d10.jpg

Nice going guys, these babies need all the love and attention you can mustard.

Buck Conner said:
Nice going guys, these babies need all the love and attention you can mustard.
We use Ketchup on them as well. :D
Ron

I make a mistake and then get pounded by my friend ..... "G" string comes to mind :roll: .....

Ron, years ago I saw a video of a guy who hunted coyotes in the winter with his greyhounds. He cruised the back roads and when he spotted a coyote, he'd turn one or two loose on him. They ran the coyote down and killed it. 

Great way to spend the winter IMO. I think it was in Kansas but eastern Colorado would work too.

patocazador said:
Ron, years ago I saw a video of a guy who hunted coyotes in the winter with his greyhounds. He cruised the back roads and when he spotted a coyote, he'd turn one or two loose on him. They ran the coyote down and killed it. 

Great way to spend the winter IMO. I think it was in Kansas but eastern Colorado would work too.
That was in Wallace KS, the rancher's name was Wilber Williams, he did this all the time. Said the coyotes were know to have good lung power for running long distances, but no match for his crew of Grey Hounds. They run the coyotes until they were about helpless (winded), then the Hounds did their thing. We used to hunt buffalo on Wilber's 21 secions ranch south of Goodland KS. Wallace was the last stop for the trains during the last days of the buffalo hunting era.

I had heard about the Greyhound being used for coyote hunting. They use Galgos, a Spanish Greyhound for hunting like that to this day.
Our male will do "zoomies," sprints in the back yard, on occasion. Otherwise they prefer to flop onto their dog beds and lounge around.
We could use some Greyhounds on coyotes around here.
Ron

"We could use some Greyhounds on coyotes around here."

That's what you ought to do instead of letting them be couch potatoes.

I can't tell you how many "Dog or Cat missing" signs that are posted around here. I know that I have cleaned up several carcasses or remains of squeamish neighbor's  terriers and other small dogs along with finding remains of local cats. The coyotes take the soft parts and leave the rest. My male would make a good coyote hunter.
Ron

Ive been to Rons house and those dogs are the boss. You wont be going into Rons house unless you want to be dinner for those guys. But they do listen to Ron.

Ron you have some great looking dogs, it is good to know that you and your wife care for them and foster them. Part of my job is that I supervise the department animal shelter. We have tons of people come through every day looking at your dogs.

my wife's boss have two Greyhound Rescue dogs.

RonC said:
The house... 
We also recognize that 2 dogs act like 2 dogs. Three dogs become a pack. Pack behavior is different than individual dog behavior.
Ron
I know someone that bred German Shephards for a long time.  Talk about pack behavior :affraid: when you put four of them living in the same house :!:

I also know someone who fosters dogs.  That individual ended-up keeping one of them.  Very giving of oneself to provide foster care in any way :Red tup:

RonC said:
I can't tell you how many "Dog or Cat missing" signs that are posted around here. I know that I have cleaned up several carcasses or remains of squeamish neighbor's  terriers and other small dogs along with finding remains of local cats. The coyotes take the soft parts and leave the rest. My male would make a good coyote hunter.
Ron
Ron when we lived in Morrison (approx 5-8 miles from you) one evening there was an up-roar in the backyard. A couple hundred pound young black bear was climbing over my 6 foot stockard fences escaping being darted up the DOW. 

For some reason the heaviest of 4 officers was the one chasing the poor guy. After three fences he was half way over my back fence and gets hung up on the stockard fence points on his belt. He's hanging on the fence and yelling for help, his buddies come to help. I tell one of them "dart him, he needs a rest". His fellow mates got to laughing and had problems getting him off. Then my neighbor yells "here come that bear again" - the big boy got off like right now. Between the neighbors and this guy's fellow employees we all laughed for an hour after.  

The biggest number of wild childs we saw there in 14 years were red foxes, they can walk the top cross rail of the fences. They were so tame that they would come within 5 feet of you to see if you had something to eat. One fall we had all this squeeling under our deck, a mother fox had her babies under there, we had the pleasure of watching them grow up and finally staying under our pine trees during the day, leaving about dark to hunt the ridges below us. Really miss that place 10 years after leaving.

Racing greyhounds are often neglected, abused and tossed out.  

RonC, it is a good thing you and your lady are doing, caring for greyhounds.

Latest posts

Back