Picked up an Omega last night

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an original not the Z5 and picked it up cheap. Now have to decide which ones to keep. Knight MK 85 blued and Grey Laminate, Accura MR, Disc Elite with Lehigh conversion and the Omega. Don't need them all so will work with them and decide on 2 to keep.

My Buddy gave me a Z5 with a pitted barrel so I will put the sights off of it onto this gun. It has a Synthetic thumb hole stock so if it fits, I will use it when hunting and sell the Z5 action attached to the barrel.

When I got my Boyds Omega stock I found that I had to take out some material where the lugs go in order to fit the barrel properly.Now,I do not like how wide the fore end.It is to uncomrtable and not a good grip.So I am gong to sand it down like my Knight Mountaineer then use 000-0000 steel wool with gun oil to bring back the luster.Plus it is really heavy.I like the factory t/h stock presented here and wish I had waited.

I sent Boyd's a picture. I got no reply until I called and left a message stating my dissatisfaction with their stock and customer service. I get an email in 5 minutes stating it's not a scratch or a defect.Its a mineral stain which they have no way of knowing which stocks this will happen with. This is normal with laminated stocks. I guess the other 10 I have are impervious to this imperfection.I can tell you , they aren't qualified to sweep Tony Gilbert's shop.Maybe everyone else's laminated stocks I own actually do " quality " control

I sent Boyd's a picture. I got no reply until I called and left a message stating my dissatisfaction with their stock and customer service. I get an email in 5 minutes stating it's not a scratch or a defect.Its a mineral stain which they have no way of knowing which stocks this will happen with. This is normal with laminated stocks. I guess the other 10 I have are impervious to this imperfection.I can tell you , they aren't qualified to sweep Tony Gilbert's shop.Maybe everyone else's laminated stocks I own actually do " quality " control
Thats terrible to hear, I'm sorry you have that kinda BS to deal with & paid to have to do it.

That stinks. I surely feel your pain as I went through the e-mail thing a few years back. Never got it resolved and ended getting a refund.

It seems like a lot of businesses are in that you order you eat mode,I do see defects visually like that often in laminate stocks ,still you would think that they would get a final visual grading ,it is such a hassle for me to have to box something back up and back to the company I brought it from, I guess I don't mind one time but the more I see others that have the same issue with that company and I've seen this with Boyd's as well as other issues I won't do business with them, I have built a lot of stocks myself from scratch and have done a lot of stock work I realize the challenges that companies like Boyd's face and Richard's microfit Etc I will probably send my business to Richard's microfit because I know up front I'm going to have to do stock work I'm not let down when a stock company sells you a stock that you're supposed to be able to drop your rifle into and head down the road and you can't do that that's a problem I think what keeps companies like this in business is you really can't get some of these stocks from anybody else you're stuck with having to deal with those companies maybe that's good for them it's not always good for the shooter

When I got my Boyds Omega stock I found that I had to take out some material where the lugs go in order to fit the barrel properly.Now,I do not like how wide the fore end.It is to uncomrtable and not a good grip.So I am gong to sand it down like my Knight Mountaineer then use 000-0000 steel wool with gun oil to bring back the luster.Plus it is really heavy.I like the factory t/h stock presented here and wish I had waited.
Gun oil does not belong on wood. EVER

Nice good buy! I have a ss Omega standard laminated stock same color as yours. I won it in a gun bash raffle in 2014. It is still new in the box unfired. I won it after I bought a Triumph my user. I may break it out this spring I have a Nikon muzzleloader scope to put on it. I won't be selling it though. Good luck with your Omega I think you will be happy with it.

Will be using BH 209 Powder and have lots of bullets and sabots around will probably start out with my 300 Grain XTPs in a Green Crush rib over 70 Grains weighed BH. Anyone have any loads that shot really well from an Omega. Not trying to cut corners on my load development Just Ideas on anything I might need to try.

Will be using BH 209 Powder and have lots of bullets and sabots around will probably start out with my 300 Grain XTPs in a Green Crush rib over 70 Grains weighed BH. Anyone have any loads that shot really well from an Omega. Not trying to cut corners on my load development Just Ideas on anything I might need to try.
My Omegas shoot the 300 gr Shockwaves in an MMP HPH12 or Harvester CR with 100-110 grV Bh209. Personally I have never had great luck with .429/.430 bullets in any rifle. Don’t forget to try knurled bullets - can make a huge difference!

Ron, mine will print moa with 90 gr bh and 260 gr pt gold with harvester ez sabot. I really like the expansion of an xtp but did not have good success . Maybe the 300 gr would be the ticket. Keep us posted. You have a gem there. Good day.

Back