Picked up T/C Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I bought an T/C Encore yesterday.  I prefer the original Encore vs the Pro Hunter models.  Just old school I guess.  

When I looked over the rifle it looked very clean and well taken care of. He said he hadn't shot it in 8 years.  I shined a light down the bore and it looked shiny all the way to the breech plug. I ran a patch with some Ballistol down the bore moving it slow. I felt a slight rubbing when the patch got to the grid ring location.  (He was using Triple 7 pellets the last time he shot it). So I soaked down a few more patches with Ballistol and did a lot of brass bore brush scrubbing, then more patches.  The patches came out dirty.  I soaked some more patches down this time with Break-Free CLP Lubricant and more vigorous bore brushing.  Finally the patches came out clean and this time the bore was "really" shiny.

Shining a light down the barrel doesn't alway tell the whole story.

Wt1Q8M.jpg

Nice smoker 'Joe !   A .50 I'm assuming. 
Glad you were able to clean-up the stubborn part.  Hard to beat a good  brushing to cleanup a bore. :ttups:

I had one I really enjoyed.  It was as accurate as any centerfire with certain loads. There are a lot of choices. I ended up with 90 grain Blackhorn 209 and a 240 grain .430 Hornady in a green Crush Rib sabot. I flattened a lot of deer and hogs with that. For longer range there are better projectiles but out to just over 100-yards I had one-hole groups and deadly performance. I used Brownells Shotgun Wad Solvent on a moist patch (not much) every so often to make sure there was no plastic in the barrel. You have to remove the barrel and make sure you don't have a plastic cleaning rod, jag, table or even sights because that stuff eats plastic like a starving dog eats steak. Best of luck with it!

I have had several Encores and Pro Hunters and have always enjoyed them.  I got into one of those "thinning the herd" brain skips and sold them along with a few others,  I wished I would of kept now....oh well.  I won't be getting rid of this one but I think I might be replacing the laminated stock set with the Pro Hunter Flex Tech stock set.  The laminated stocks are heavy!  The rifle weighs in at 9 lbs. 4 oz.  I also have the CVA Accura Mountain Rifle with the Nitride treated finish.  That one weighs in at just a touch over 8 lbs. I love shooting both rifles!

I was in the same boat a year or two back. Sold my TC Endeavour, Encore 209x50 and a Traditions Vortex Ultra light except for a TC Omega. Now I wanna pick up another barrel to go with my Encore in 25/06.

Some changes to the encore.
Removed the front sight, put in a filler screw.
Replace the ramrod with T/C T-Handle model
Replaced the Leupold scope rings with an aluminum DNZ Game Reaper
Replace the Laminated stock with a T/C Encore Pro Hunter with Limbsaver butt pad,
Forend is made by Choate Machine & Tool. It's a little wider, more grippy than the T/C Pro Hunter forend and in my opinion more comfortable

Replacing the laminated stock and scope rings also reduced the weight from 9.4 lbs. to 8.5 lbs.

Next to the range to sight it in.

Latest posts

Back