Pictures of Leupold 1.75-6x32mm mounted on T/C Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32mm mounted on my Thompson Center Omega. I used the Leupold Quick Release base and the Leupold LOW Quick Release rings. I hunt in Ohio (scopes allowed) and in California (scopes not allowed). I wanted QR rings so that I could remove the scope and use iron sights when required. Also, I really don't want to mess with the iron sights when the scope is on the gun so that I don't have to re-zero them everytime I switch.

IMG_0001.JPG

As you can see, the objective bell clears the barrel, but the rear sight protrudes about one-third of the way up into the objective field of view. It also limits how far forward I can mount the scope. Eye relief is just o.k. I have to move my head about 1" further back than is natural for me in order to get a full field of view. I can see the front site in the bottom 1/3rd of the field when I look through the scope. It's blurry, of course, and I may just leave it on the gun when the scope is in place. It doesn't bother me too much. If I take the front sight off the barrel, I can still see the barrel in the bottom 1/3rd of the field of view.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Hammer clearance bothers me the most. I can get an un-gloved thumb directly on the hammer, but just barely. Some of you guys with sausage fingers won't be able to cock the hammer at all using LOW rings. I can sort of get at the right side of the hammer from the right side of the gun, but it's not a strong purchase. With a winter glove on, I don't get good contact using either method.

IMG_0006.JPG

The scope looks beautiful on the gun, but I think I'm going to switch to the MEDIUM QR rings. I need to be able to get to the hammer a bit easier. I hope these pictures help others decide on which scope rings to use without going through an exchange hassle.

Happy Hunting,

Bob K

Bob K said:
The scope looks beautiful on the gun, but I think I'm going to switch to the MEDIUM QR rings. I need to be able to get to the hammer a bit easier. I hope these pictures help others decide on which scope rings to use without going through an exchange hassle.

Medium would help with both clearance and the sight issue, but high would be better for those.

IMO, go with the medium rings. It won't give you everything you want but will keep the scope lower to the barrel than high rings. You'll still have the issues you mention but they will be lessened.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the medium rings on my pistol. I'm not sure medium rings will be high enough since after examining mine they only add about an 1/8" or so. I think Grouse is right, go with the high rings.

mediumrings.jpg

Nice looking rig. Looks a little odd with the iron sights still on it but your explanation for leaving them on makes sense. If seeing that sight in your scope doesn't bother you, it's OK with me.

Now With High Rings

I exchanged the low QR rings for Hi QR rings. I didn't believe the Medium QR rings would allow enough room for a gloved finger and I was probably right. I can fit a full bare thumb on the hammer with the High rings, which means it'll be a tight fit with a gloved thumb.

Hi1.JPG

Hi2.JPG

Hi3.JPG

Latest posts

Back