Plantinum Powerbelt Results??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Ok, huntin season is almost over. Did anyone actually take game with a platinum powerbelt?

How did they perform compared to the old "fall-apart" series? As you can tell I am not a fan of regular powerbelts, BUT they are EASY to load and am interested to see how the new ones perform.

Redclub said:
Hey Elk
I couldn't even get them to shoot :oops:
Redclub

Huh, thats funny, that was the old designs only other attribute, they were very accurate, at least in most guns.

Apparently everybody is afraid as I am of these things?!

I'm not getting many responses of field use.

My Brother swears by Powerbelts , don't know if he's used the new ones , but has taken many deer over the past several yrs. He shoots an Omega .45 cal , stainless barrel , he says they put em' right down no problem , average shots aroung 50yds , I believe he uses the 225 gr bullet , if not mistaken .

Elk

I used a 300grain 45cal Platinum, pushed by 120grains of Shockey's Gold on a 125 pound spike. Range was 55yards, dropped right there. The bullet fragged just like normal. Made massive damage and did not exit.

But I did find out that we are WAY overdriving the PB's. My son and I worked up a (45cal) 70grain powder charge with a 275grain PB for his wife to shoot, so as to reduce recoil. It worked great on a 50 yard shot right thru the heart and lungs and out the other side! Boom Flop! No fragmentation. This load was sighted in at 112yards with that crappy 1x scope.

I will be testing/chronographing this same load soon. Will also try it with just 60grains powder. The 45cals don't need as much powder as the 50's to get the same speeds :wink:

The Platinums have a second coat over the regular copper jacket, that makes them a little stiffer. I believe the 45cal/300grain combined with 70 grains of powder will be a real game stopper thats easy on your shoulder:shock: :D

I'm sure that the lighter 45cal 225grain PB's would be just as good pushed with just 60grains of powder :)

But, like we are all learning the hard way, use the heaviest PB that you can and don't over drive them.

I'd try 80grains powder with 348/444 50cal PB's and call her good :)

Also check out my old post with some Plat pics: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1840494

Latest posts

Back