possibly changing to bh 209 several questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
hey folks, new here...

currently shooting encore, 150 grains 777 and 250gr shockwaves. groups are ok, but not tight as I would like and am wanting to change things up with powder and possibly bullets

1. what would you suggest for starting powder grains/weight?

2. what sabot/bullet?

3. what do you use in the field or range for measuring and pouring your powder?

I am not very technical, so go easy on the terminology and pics and links are always a plus :lol:

have officially sold ALL centerfire rifles and barrels to go all ML or archery.

TC encore load

110 grain bh 209, 250 gr. shock wave, short black harvester sabot, win. 209 cap. Shoots 1 inch at 100 yds.... Good luck. What gun you shootin?
Wayles

Re: TC encore load

wayles said:
110 grain bh 209, 250 gr. shock wave, short black harvester sabot, win. 209 cap. Shoots 1 inch at 100 yds.... Good luck. What gun you shootin?
Wayles

I shoot an encore and have access to a triumph and omega.

the harvester sabot just replaces the sabot that comes with the shockwaves right?

Yes the short black Harvester sabot replaces whatever sabot you get with your SST or Shockwave bullets. If you check the forum you will find most are getting at least MOA with this combination. I have a Triumph and the first 3 shots I took with this combination gave me a 3/4" group at 100 yards.

g.g. -
I weigh my charges and put them in tubes. Cornsequently, I have an almost new TC U-View Powder measure #7222 and the original package. You can see that item at TCArms.com/store/accessories. WalMart has that item for $12. Tell me that you sent, or will send, $10 to saxman1 in Florida, and I'll send the item to you at no further cost.

Static charge caused a few grains to cling to the side of the plastic tube. Swab that sucker with a dryer sheet and that won't be a problem.

Hope to hear from you.

Corncob

Tell me that you sent, or will send, $10 to saxman1 in Florida, and I'll send the item to you at no further cost.

WAY TO GO, Corncob!

Someone take this offer quick, it's a great deal. Everyone else, just send that envelope to saxman the way Chuck said.

TC encore

YEP , it just replaces the supplied sabot. I forgot to mention that I use the smooth sabot , not the crush rib. I have some crush ribs but have not tried them as the gun shoots great with the smooth short black.
Wayles

g.g. said:
hey folks, new here...

currently shooting encore, 150 grains 777 and 250gr shockwaves. groups are ok, but not tight as I would like and am wanting to change things up with powder and possibly bullets

1. what would you suggest for starting powder grains/weight?
Try 100-110-120gr

2. what sabot/bullet?

If you have a Triumph or an Omega the short black Harvester sabot and the 250 gr SW or SST bullet

3. what do you use in the field or range for measuring and pouring your powder?

The TC U-View funnel top measure

I am not very technical, so go easy on the terminology and pics and links are always a plus :lol:

With my Triumph and 120gr BH and the short black sabot mentioned I have actually out grouped my 223 varmit rifle. Lee

have officially sold ALL centerfire rifles and barrels to go all ML or archery.

Corncob said:
g.g. -
I weigh my charges and put them in tubes. Cornsequently, I have an almost new TC U-View Powder measure #7222 and the original package. You can see that item at TCArms.com/store/accessories. WalMart has that item for $12. Tell me that you sent, or will send, $10 to saxman1 in Florida, and I'll send the item to you at no further cost.

Static charge caused a few grains to cling to the side of the plastic tube. Swab that sucker with a dryer sheet and that won't be a problem.

Hope to hear from you.

Corncob

what types of in the field tubes are you using? any type of material to stay away from with the powder?

have already ordered the tube on a recommendation from woodys yesterday, but thanks for the generous offer. someone should jump quick!

also, what am I missing here, why send sax money?

oops...I see the sticky on sax now. very good cause and I will drop some in the mail.

Re: TC encore load

wayles said:
Wayles

Sounds good to me too. Might go up to 120gr BH209...

g.g. -
There are lots of options for tubes. The one's I use are:

Powder Tubes available at ?onlinesciencemall.com?

Get the polypropylene tubes - not the polystyrene

12mm x 75mm ?great for Savages/smokeless and for storing 209 primers
13mm x 100mm ? great for Blackhorn ? holds up to 120 grain by volume.
16mm x 125mm ? great for ? 3 pellets plus a saboted bullet with a primer in the cap

Last time I ordered 200 of the 13mm x 100mm and they were delivered for $46.50. (500 cost $65 with freight)

Best regards-
Cob

Back