Postal Match Start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running carbide at .036 " Im checking the hole every time I clean the plug. It isn't moving so far.
After sending a bunch of rounds downrange, I heard a little voice in my head say "Check the flash hole liner stupid!" The .036 pin gauge dropped right through. Lesson learned. X

After sending a bunch of rounds downrange, I heard a little voice in my head say "Check the flash hole liner stupid!" The .036 pin gauge dropped right through. Lesson learned. X
I have no clue how many rounds I've sent through my ASG plug, but its right at .034" tight.

Remington 700 short action, barrel nut from Hankins or Arrowhead, 15 minute build, you'll be shooting in an hour, if you have a range close by,, a lot of information here. If you have a Remington action, and technically you could use a long action also of course I want to five shank for 4 in will require a gunsmith fitting and head spacing your plug the barrel node allows you to do that yourself both Hankins and Luke have videos to do that ,or show you how, it's really an easy build, a couple of guns I've had that would actually shoot one hole were barrel nuts, not that I don't prefer a shoulder build.

Sorry for the confusion and lack of proof reading,.125 shank for 4 inches allows you to shoot much hotter loads the barrel nut is .120 diameter it's still gives you plenty of barrel especially for shooting like you're witnessing

Sorry for the confusion and lack of proof reading,.125 shank for 4 inches allows you to shoot much hotter loads the barrel nut is .120 diameter it's still gives you plenty of barrel especially for shooting like you're witnessing
Thanks, a lot! For the info. Mnt monkey! much appreciated ! Don't have any Remington 700 actions, are there any other options ?

Thanks, a lot! For the info. Mnt monkey! much appreciated ! Don't have any Remington 700 actions, are there any other options ?
Arrowhead often has built 45's in stock. Might want to check. If not, they have barrels and actions, but a smith will need to do some work, unless you're capable.
https://arrowheadrifles.com/product-category/in-stock-builds/

There are a number of other custom builders that could build you a rifle. However, know that most are very busy and it may take well over a year, even two.

THERE'S NO BOTTOM TO THE RABBIT HOLE !!!

Arrowhead often has built 45's in stock. Might want to check. If not, they have barrels and actions, but a smith will need to do some work, unless you're capable.

There are a number of other custom builders that could build you a rifle. However, know that most are very busy and it may take well over a year, even two.

Gotcha! I will check the website & take a look. Thank you! Could you build one using a Thompson Encore ?

Thanks for the info. Arrowhead has some beautiful rifle builds. I especially like the Arrowhead Obsidian, but price is a little stiff, I would buy it but wouldn't be able to shoot it, because my wife would shoot me ! But beautiful guns. I'm going to look into this farther & see what I can Come up with. Thanks for your help.

Gotcha! I will check the website & take a look. Thank you! Could you build one using a Thompson Encore ?
IMO.......... just a couple things to think about when going SML.

Determine your actual usage. Break open rifles can not withstand heavy charges with heavy bullets. For many, not all, they are very accurate 300yd rifles. The full customs though are capable of heavy charges and heavy bullets. Customs are very capable at ELR. Customs also, as Luke used to say, make the best BH209 rifles. That can't be argued.

Next in the SML world is what ALL of us are trying to obtain............ certain primers and certain smokeless propellants. LRMP's are exceptionally hard to find and IF some place gets any in stock, they're gone in less than 5 minutes. We are starting to see more LRP's though, which will work with both SML and BH.
Propellants............. well there's another issue. If you go to the SML section, there are those who have found replacement SML propellants. None to my knowledge carry blistering speed, but at least they find propellant to shoot.

If you intend to shoot heavy bullets like a 350gr and want to send it at 3,200fps, finding the propellant won't be easy.

They say its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.......... LOL

AGAIN............ THERE'S NO BOTTOM TO THE RABBIT HOLE.

I'm sure that the bolt actions are better for distance & accuracy rather than a barrel for the Encore though. But since I don't have any experience with Smokeless it at least would be a start with the encore barrel. Have to settle this one with the wife.

Latest posts

Back