Postal Match Start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that the bolt actions are better for distance & accuracy rather than a barrel for the Encore though. But since I don't have any experience with Smokeless it at least would be a start with the encore barrel. Have to settle this one with the wife.
Do what I do............. Tell her that if you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money and time to do it over?

Notice..................... There are times it doesn't work :oops:

IMO.......... just a couple things to think about when going SML.

Determine your actual usage. Break open rifles can not withstand heavy charges with heavy bullets. For many, not all, they are very accurate 300yd rifles. The full customs though are capable of heavy charges and heavy bullets. Customs are very capable at ELR. Customs also, as Luke used to say, make the best BH209 rifles. That can't be argued.

Next in the SML world is what ALL of us are trying to obtain............ certain primers and certain smokeless propellants. LRMP's are exceptionally hard to find and IF some place gets any in stock, they're gone in less than 5 minutes. We are starting to see more LRP's though, which will work with both SML and BH.
Propellants............. well there's another issue. If you go to the SML section, there are those who have found replacement SML propellants. None to my knowledge carry blistering speed, but at least they find propellant to shoot.

If you intend to shoot heavy bullets like a 350gr and want to send it at 3,200fps, finding the propellant won't be easy.

They say its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.......... LOL

AGAIN............ THERE'S NO BOTTOM TO THE RABBIT HOLE.
I at least have the LRP's , about 6000 of them & I have 3lbs of H4198, I reload centerfire, it's convincing the wife that I have the problem with. She will say another one !!

I at least have the LRP's , about 6000 of them & I have 3lbs of H4198, I reload centerfire, it's convincing the wife that I have the problem with. She will say another one !!
I know exactly what you mean. I just talked the "little woman" into letting me buy one of the new Garmin radars, along with 400 XLD's.

I've been thinking about my approach (thinking is a good first thing) to .... suggesting ... that I need a new custom 40cal. Its something a guy just doesn't jump right in to. Ya have to think about it and plan it accordingly.

I know exactly what you mean. I just talked the "little woman" into letting me buy one of the new Garmin radars, along with 400 XLD's.

I've been thinking about my approach (thinking is a good first thing) to .... suggesting ... that I need a new custom 40cal. Its something a guy just doesn't jump right in to. Ya have to think about it and plan it accordingly.

You can't hide deep pockets.
They end up like mine full of lent....

:lewis:And Thank you & Mnt monkey for your expert advice & knowledge Much appreciated !

I'm sure that the bolt actions are better for distance & accuracy rather than a barrel for the Encore though. But since I don't have any experience with Smokeless it at least would be a start with the encore barrel. Have to settle this one with the wife.
No need to go with a 10k full-custom rifle as your fist sml. I’d put a sml barrel on an Encore or Omega or have a Scout converted. One of these builds will do 95% of what most of us need/want it to do.

An Encore Barrel will run $1,500 or there about. I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT BE THREADED FOR A MUZZLE BRAKE OR BETTER YET, COME WITH ONE.
You end up with a 300yd rifle and a production rifle can match that.

You can buy a 45cal Brux barrel #17 Heavy Varmint: 1.250×5:”, ST 0.9@30″ (finish up to 30″, fluted from 8.5-26.5) for $540 and a Defiance action for $990.
The Brux listed will shoot very heavy charges of smokeless or BH209, much heavier than an Encore or Omega. You also have a 1,000yd rifle.
A Stockeys next generation carbon fiber stock will run right around $550.

$540 + $990 + $550 = $2,080................... $2080 - $1,500 = $580

So for approximately $580 more than an Encore barrel alone, you get a top-of-the-line action, barrel and stock. Additional costs would be for one of the builders to put it together and your choice of trigger. I don't believe anyone of them is going to charge you $8,000.

Going full custom doesn't have to be anywhere near $10K.

Again............. If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money to do it over?

An Encore Barrel will run $1,500 or there about. I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT BE THREADED FOR A MUZZLE BRAKE OR BETTER YET, COME WITH ONE.
You end up with a 300yd rifle and a production rifle can match that.

You can buy a 45cal Brux barrel #17 Heavy Varmint: 1.250×5:”, ST 0.9@30″ (finish up to 30″, fluted from 8.5-26.5) for $540 and a Defiance action for $990.
The Brux listed will shoot very heavy charges of smokeless or BH209, much heavier than an Encore or Omega. You also have a 1,000yd rifle.
A Stockeys next generation carbon fiber stock will run right around $550.

$540 + $990 + $550 = $2,080................... $2080 - $1,500 = $580

So for approximately $580 more than an Encore barrel alone, you get a top-of-the-line action, barrel and stock. Additional costs would be for one of the builders to put it together and your choice of trigger. I don't believe anyone of them is going to charge you $8,000.

Going full custom doesn't have to be anywhere near $10K.

Again............. If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money to do it over?
Thank you very much for all the info. & most of all your help & knowledge. Because, before I joined MML, I didn't have a clue about any of this. Thanks again Encore!

Last edited:
Where's all the shooters ?????

We've had a ton of rain in the past week, so getting on the club's range would be a muddy mess trying to hang targets, so it was time to get things done here at home so when the range does dry, I can shoot.

I've rolled the lawn twice. Spread 200# of 19-19-19, along with 150# of 46-0-0. Before this last rain, I spread 80# of Spectracide Triazicide for ticks in the yard.
The spring yard work is complete.

All the trees that had broken limbs from the heavy snow have been trimmed, including a couple apple trees. I did get all the trails throughout the woods too. Hooked the disc up to the Ranger and tilled up the large food plot. Pulled the gong out of the other garage and put that out at 100yds. It's no challenge with the muzz, but I do a lot of pistol shooting with it.
When I put the gong out, I picked up all the rocks that had either fell from the berm or were knocked down by the deer climbing it. Need to keep those mower blades sharp ;)

Still have both garages to clean up from winter's mess, along with taking down an old ShelterLogic shed and putting up a new one. We use it to store wood, garden hoses and a few other odds and ends.

Getting the work out of the way to be able to shoot...........

Where's all the shooters ?????

We've had a ton of rain in the past week, so getting on the club's range would be a muddy mess trying to hang targets, so it was time to get things done here at home so when the range does dry, I can shoot.

I've rolled the lawn twice. Spread 200# of 19-19-19, along with 150# of 46-0-0. Before this last rain, I spread 80# of Spectracide Triazicide for ticks in the yard.
The spring yard work is complete.

All the trees that had broken limbs from the heavy snow have been trimmed, including a couple apple trees. I did get all the trails throughout the woods too. Hooked the disc up to the Ranger and tilled up the large food plot. Pulled the gong out of the other garage and put that out at 100yds. It's no challenge with the muzz, but I do a lot of pistol shooting with it.
When I put the gong out, I picked up all the rocks that had either fell from the berm or were knocked down by the deer climbing it. Need to keep those mower blades sharp ;)

Still have both garages to clean up from winter's mess, along with taking down an old ShelterLogic shed and putting up a new one. We use it to store wood, garden hoses and a few other odds and ends.

Getting the work out of the way to be able to shoot...........
Dam! Doing all of that work you'll be too tired to shoot!🤣

Back