Powder and primer for Disc elite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmbb

Reaction score
Gentlemen; i have a Disc elite that has never given me better than a 4" group at 100 yds. i have tried a variety of bullets. It seems that the 300 gr. xtp are the "best" with Pyrodex. What other combination suggestions do you have? I love the gun but am a bit perplexed with the poor groups compared to some that I read about on this forum. I have changed scopes and mounts. That does not seem to be the problem. It currently has my Leupold 1.5X 5 on it. Thank you

Get some 250-300 grain Barnes bullets. Then try two or three Pyrodex Pellets. If the rifle does not shoot excellent groups with that, contact Knight Rifle and tell them you believe there might be a problem with the rifle.

This is what a Knight Technician told me in an e-mail when I was asking him about loads for my Disc rifle. This is a copy of the major parts of the email when I was discussing my Disc rifle with Knight...

Dave, please check the scope base immediately ahead of the breech opening... then check each screw to verify that it is holding the base tightly...

We would use 100-150 grs. Of powder and a 250 to 300 gr barnes bullet to check accuracy..if this still does not achieve accuracy ... We would receive that rifle here (remove your scope).. the rifle will shoot inside the 2.5 in. .. we would contact you to discuss what we have found.. Le ex. 138.

I ended up having scope problems. A new scope fixed my problem.

IMO the "go to" load in a Disc Elite .50 is a 200gr Shockwave and 100-120gr ffg Triple Se7en loose.. I've always used a CCI 209 but can't see that being much of an issue...

Absolutely what Chuck said....

Chuck we could use a sticky on this subject... :D

Elite combo

I shot my Elite for first time this past weekend and it drove tacs. I used 78 grns weighed t7 fffg behind 200 grn shockwaves and it was awesome and recoiled not much more than a 22, closer to a 410. I'm going to try working up a little hotter load this weekend, I, ve weighed out some 80 grnrs. If not 78 grns here we come. The gun showed less than a half inch difference in height from 80 yards to 150 yards.

Hey Chuck, any idea what kind of velocity 200 grn wave in front of 110 and 120 grns T7. Is that weighed or by volume. By volume that is probably pretty close to my 78 weighed?????_______I've never owned a volume measurer, I figured if I wanted real good groups weighing would be the way to go. Thx

Hey Jim. By my calculation 78 grains weight of T-7 FFFG would equal about 89.7 grains volume.

I've never shot 200 grain bullets, but 75 grain weight T-7 FFFG under a 300 grain Gold Dot gives me 1660 fps out of the Mustang.

Hey Chuck, any idea what kind of velocity 200 grn wave in front of 110 and 120 grns T7

Using a T/C U-View powder measure by volume:

120gr ffg- 2150fps
110gr ffg- 2095fps

86.5gr BY WEIGHT ffg:
2177fps

In my Disc Elite- "Chuck's load" with a regular Winchester 209 primer. I'm using 110 gr of 777 2f and the 200 gr Shockwave. Accurate, and puts deer down quickly.

Velocities/powder measuring

That 86.5 grns sounds like an actual load for one of you guns. Is that a load for you Elite. If that is that's a smoking gun for a real smoke pole. Please let me know as I would like to try it this weekend if possible.

There seems to be a lot of desparity between weighed and measured charges. Semisane (he thinks so) weighed and volume measurement has a conversion factor of about 115 and Chuck's weighed versus measured had a conversion factor of over 125. Please note Semi is using TFFF which I'm sure packs together a little tighter but still a lot of difference. Seems like the only way to be real consistent especially when giving load data is by weight. 80 Grns is 80 grns weighed in Louisiana or Indiana on a good scale of course but 80 grns volume could be 74 next door and 86 across the border. Just my two cents.

That 86.5 grns sounds like an actual load for one of you guns. Is that a load for you Elite. If that is that's a smoking gun for a real smoke pole. Please let me know as I would like to try it this weekend if possible.

Sure is!

Seems like the only way to be real consistent especially when giving load data is by weight. 80 Grns is 80 grns weighed in Louisiana or Indiana on a good scale of course but 80 grns volume could be 74 next door and 86 across the border. Just my two cents.

Couldn't have said it better myself and you are 100% correct!

There's a BIG difference between T-7 FFFG & FFG in volume/weight comparisons.

On my RCBS balance scale, 100 grains of FFFG weighs 87.0 grains and FFG weighs 77.7 grains.

big6x6 said:
IMO the "go to" load in a Disc Elite .50 is a 200gr Shockwave and 100-120gr ffg Triple Se7en loose.. I've always used a CCI 209 but can't see that being much of an issue...

Same for me but I use Win. 209s in the blue package. I still have some 250gr TMZs I haven't shot yet though, need to give them a run.

If weather cooperates I will try some loads this weekend. I will have to llook thru my notes, but it seems the 200 gr. did not do well at all.
I have a bottle of Pyrodex P. Any thoughts on using that? I think I have Pyrodex pellets, Pyrodex loose Select and some T7 loose. Thanks for the help!!!!

cmbb: Welcome
Does your gun have a WOOD or COMPOSIT stock? Look at your barrle were it lays in the stock to make sure that there is no surffes mark on it, ( like were the barrle and stock are rubbing togather ) If there is you may need to sand the stock in that spot until that pressure point is gone. then recheck again , Also give your gun adiqet time for the barrle to cool inbetween shots - if it was me I would stay away from useing the pellets becouse if you seat your bullet to hard you will crush them and that can hender your shots. IMO this is a good starting point GET some 2f t7 loose "remember on t7 you will need to reduce by 15% to adcheve the same as BP or pyro" start with 80-90gr with 3 differant brand of bullets ( BARNS - 250 or 290 TMZ ) ( PARKER - 250 or 275gr ) ( HRNADY SST OR SHOCKWAVE 250 or 300gr ) Start at 35 yds shoot 3 rounds of each with 80 & 90gr do not adjust scope you are going to be looking for witch ones group the best at a given charge, then take the one that grouped the best and zero your scope in to that one bullett at 35yds, next move back to 50 or 60yds and shoot all of them again with 80 & 90gr that should tell you witch one your gun likes the best. PS make shure that you clean all the oil or grease out of your barrle before you start AND swab inbetween ea shot 1 damp patch AND 2 dry. This is how I start all of my guns out and have had good sucss. If nothing helps you need to call KNIGHT !!!!

Lungbuster1
Laconia IN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOOD LUCK & SAFE SHOOTING :D

Elite

Make sure your front screws didn't bottom out before the mount was fully secured. I just put Leupold bases on my Elite a week ago and front screws bottomed out before base was extremely secure. I shaved 15 thousandths off each but still wasn't enough. I wound up shaving 25 thousandths off total to prevent screws from bottoming out before bases extremely secured.

Put 80 Grns weighed T7 loose in her behind a 200 shockwave with T7 primer and it should stack them one on top the other. Run one Spit Patch down barrel between shots. ((((Old Spit Patch official load))))

Thanks guys. I will double check the screws, you never know!

I did shoot a doe with it last year. Had 2 pellets of Pyrodex and a 300 gr. xtp. I had followed the deer for about an hour, we had snow, she was in her bed. Damn scope nailed me in the nose. I bled about as much as the deer!

Has anyone ever weighed the pelletized powders and how much variance is there pellet to pellet? Also, are they 50 grains in volume or by weight? It seems the purist shooters all shoot loose, maybe that is the solution! :wink:

If you have to put powder down the barrel it might as well be "LOOSE"
powder.

chocdog

i to disc elite 50. cal
i had the same problem i called knight and they told me to try barnes bullet 290 grains i try it worked well started with 100grs and workrd up to 150grs the powder i used was 777 lose powder and american pioneer powder the 777 was the best that worked at 130 grs knight told me the longer bullet worked better thats what they use to test ever gun that leaves everone that shoots knights that i talk to uses barns and they love them. try it ive killed a lot of deer with it this set up. :?:

Latest posts

Back