powder,bullets question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b smith

Reaction score
Getting close to buying a Omega, never had a black powder rifle before,
what do I order with it remember I have nothing that pertains to black powder.What powder,bullets or anything else do i need.I have used a 30-06 all my adult life to hunt with, the last year i really have gotten in to bow hunting, killed 3 this year with my Matthews Drinalin but would like to get into black powder. The 30-06 is just to easy.
Thanks

WHAT DO I NEED WHEN I AM ABOUT TO SHOOT MY RIFLE

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER

? Pyrodex RS
? Triple Se7en 2f
? Goex 2f
? American Pioneer Powder 2f
? - loose or pellet
do not forget to get some 209 primers .. Remington Kleenbore is shooting loose powder, and Winchester W209 if shooting pellets work for me.

TOOLS NEEDED

? See through powder measure (if you good loose)
? Cleaning jag
? Bore guide (not essential)
? Cleaning mop
? Bore brush
? Short starter
? Capper/de-capper
? Loading jag for the projectile
? Nipple pick
? Breech plug removal tool ? socket set with long extensions works also (inlines usually supplied)

CLEANING SUPPLIES you don't need all of them
? Isopropyl alcohol 91%
? Car windshield washer fluid (50/50 with alcohol makes swab solution that can also be used to clean the rifle with.)
? Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
? Gun Oil ? Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP
? Q-tip safety swabs
? Cleaning Patches
? Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
2. Butch?s Bore Shine

PROJECTILES

? Sabots for the caliber of rifle
? Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
? Conicals
? Roundball and patch
? Breech plug grease ? CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease

? Cleaning jag of the proper caliber
? Range rod

order some 250 grain Shockwaves and some 240 grain XTP's when you order your rifle. That will give you something to shoot. You can order the XTP in bulk then you have to buy bulk sabots as well. For now get them pre packaged.

I am sure I forgot a lot of things.. Have fun with your new rifle.

B smith

Depending on were you live and the regs. if you can have a scope or not or if you can shoot sabots or conicals but here we go.

Scope
scope bases & rings
Targets
777 2fg loose powder or Pyrodex rs
TC Shock waves or hornady SST 200gr or 250gr boolets W sabots
Loading Jag for Poly tip bullets
win. 777 209 primmers
209 Capper
TC U view Powder Measure
3 speed loads
Cotton Patches For cleaning
Cleaning Jag
Brass Brushes
Good Bore salvent
Rem . Oil
Breech plug Grease
Stiff bris. Tooth brush

This should get you started.

Those are 2 pretty complete lists. Oh, you'll need money :wink: to get it all. Have fun as it becomes an addiction

don't forget some kind of storage box/bag. doesn't have to be fancy just something to keep you organized so your not digging for the item you need wasteing time.

stuff

get a couple big boxes. Everytime you think you have everything you need, the perfect load, bullet etc., the guys on this forum tweak and play with the load, gun, etc and you will want to give it a try. As you start accumulating you will shift the old stuff into a different box than the new stuff! What makes it fun is you are only limited by your imagination (safety) to what this sport can bring. Hunt Safe!

Looks like I better sell more eggs if I am to get all that stuff...Or take out a loan...LOL.....Your right though,it doesn't take long to acquire a ton of stuff...I remember back when I first got into reloading,,I had very little,,Now I have a ton of stuff....Thanks for making up the list fellows..It's great to have guys like you who are willing to help out...Keep up the good work..God Bless

Back