powder coating bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
I was reading on another forum about a guy who is test if powder coated cast bullets will work instead of lubes. got me thinking, wonder if that would work on muzzleloader full bore.

started doing some research, a basic, home use gun cost $45 plus shipping, complete kits (gun and powders) for $100 shipped, and powders cost as low as $3/lb shipped. baking temps at 400degrees for 10 to 20mins

then got reading on ingredients, the 3 main are big no no's in muzzleloaders.

wondering if it is worth the risk?

never thought of powder coating, but the copper coating kits sure look interesting!

I do lube all my full bores. thinking of something that will add a little more diameter to the bullet little like paper patching. but the basic investment is bothers me.

figure it would be close. just the wonder how it would take to the grooves, what type of foul it would leave, and if the coating would hold up.

Lube does more than lube. It keeps the fouling soft. Not as important with some of the sub powders.

I know muley, lube thickness and the type lube can also effect accuracy too. also take into account that powerbelts, thors, and hornidy fpb are full bore conicals that don't need lube. but they are copper coated or made from brass bullets. the powder coat has one main ingredient in it that is used, plastic. so sabots are made with some type of plastic mix. as does not need lube. if you do a lot a shooting like I normally do. you will swabbing between shots.

little up date, started the test how to do the coating stage, I have the powder coating gun coming in, more like setting on the local terminal floor.
since I am also casting and reloading for 9mm and 40s&w. using the 9mm as a test platform. I am also using a fluidize bedding system to coat at the moment.
made some mistakes on this, did not clean them before coating, used alox, and cured at too high of a temp. the pencil cup work well, next set I make, I am going to clean the bullets and just preheat them.
34CFBBC2-F330-42E0-B8ED-646C56BD3186-2513-00000229CA70D6C9_zps3f8ad0f2.jpg

52211D5E-7B47-461B-829F-F0565B78D818-2513-00000229CE17E523_zpsf4d4353b.jpg

just gotta figure out the right number of bullets in the cup or come up with an vertical hold system. some do have a nice bronze color to them lol.

the system I like
097A76B1-D879-42C7-9FA0-6DDAAE5D1CAA-407-000000591028CB28_zps6347eb2e.jpg
added a 4" coupler to the top to add a little more powder once I get some more.

you maybe able to cast 6 boolits, put them in the cup, dip, shake a little just to roll the boolits, pull out tap the powder out of the cup. drop on the baking sheet. you don't want to heat your cup up

one of my goal is to use pc to increase the diameter of the conical to allow to full oversized bores. I will still lube the boolits.

Been thinking about this , won't the PC come off the bullet and foul the barrel ?

alot of test have been done another forum with good results with smokeless. clean barrels, maybe a little pc foul from chambering. with muzzleloader loads the question is can get it started down the barrel

going to try casting a few bullets, put them in the in my cup for FB, then trying to coating them. maybe I get time tomorrow to do those.

I end up buying a powder coat gun and 4lbs of powder. coated 6 lee 401-175 tl bullets. look great but my first curing rig stunk. too flimsy. could not find a coat sheet small enough to put in the oven that I have. so I made a curing set up.

the bottom is 22ga steel, the top is a aluminum grill pan cut and bent to fit in the pan I made. may end up changing a few things

2AC2B9F2-9DEB-48F7-85FE-14B4C03B4AB2-2604-0000037D048E47F8_zps6e091cae.jpg

ABA9EA85-74E3-483D-BA9B-5AA8070678DD-2604-0000037D07BF0B37_zps5cd3de85.jpg

that rack system is not being used I got arts and crafts on the subject.

went to test my custom made powder coating tray. basically, I made a mold that has rubber bumpers in the bottom to make indentations, and used plaster of paris, lined the out side with the non stick foil. did use a aluminum grid used on grills to help reinforce the plaster. don't think I need it.

B2A1121F-30DE-4B09-B925-84C8B51C4100-3562-0000051C89A6E8ED_zps39aac6e7.jpg

those are lee 401-175 tl. the mold drops right at that with the alloy I am using. micked a set of those bullets. added .003 to the diameter.

before I even stuff a conical down the barrel of a muzzleloader I need to get the hardness of a bullet with the coating. if I a max of 7bhn, it should work. maybe a small amount of lube just to help with fouling.

I run around 425 for 15mins. I know I annulled the lead. the toaster oven I am using only goes up to 15mins before it go to the hold.

most of the powders call for 400 for 20mins. figured I will cut 5mins off with the little higher temp. you have hold over from where I let it set and cool in the oven.

I used a powder coat gun on those. just waiting on my sizer to come in. should be very soon

Did you just sprayed the powder or did you have to negatively charge the bullets before spaying them ?

The gun I use has a negatively charges the bullets while I spray. I just connect it to the foil lining under the bullets.

Back