Power Belt Bullet recovered! Pic inside!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroszkowski

Reaction score
well i was butchering my deer i shot with my muzzy a while ago, and i came across this lodged in the front quarter. ALMOST a coplete pass through, but not quite. another half inch would've done it. this is the 300 gr, and i used two Pyrodex pellets.

bullet.jpg

300gr Powerbelt over 100gr. Pyrodex pellets at 30 yards,,,and no pass-thru?!?! Nuff said....

8)

About a round's balls worth of lead left. You must have used more than 80 grains of Pyrodex.:lol:

Any bullet you can dig out of the deer hanging in the barn did just fine. Nice work.

I know alot of you guys have seen this before, but for those of you that haven't, here's the last Powerbelt that I put into animal.

bustedpowerbelt.jpg

Powerbelts...no thanks. To many better far superior choices.

i was pretty happy with the results i saw inside, but i do think i will be giving Shockwaves a try. haha with the hide off you could see clean through the deer with the fron quarters on. it was impressive. would've been a little happier with an exit wound tho haha

Mroszowski,

On your origional "post" of your deer kill you mentioned that you had used a powerbelt bullet at very close range so I aked you if you had complete pentatration.

I am not surprised you did not...but you should have. I am glade to hear you will be testing other bullet options.

chocdog

well i have seen hogs shot at a yard with a huge bullet and no pass through.

I've seen those huge holes that the Platinums leave! Did it look anything like this Entrance hole?
HPIM0656.jpg

HPIM0655.jpg

Sounds like you had a good trip, any pics of the deer?

haha ya kinda! but you could see through it even with the quarters ON! i was impressed. I also have a question. I shot a T/C Omega, and i want to stick with Pyrodex pellets. what is the best possible load (primer, sabot, bullet, and powder amount) for this rifle? just curious. i am planning on heading to the range this sat. if the weather is nice, and i would like to try some new loads. any suggestions?

You can try the winchester 777,winchester w209 and the remington kleanbore 209 primers. You'll just have to see which one is the most consistent, groupwise.

okay how about bullet and charge wise? i am already using a winchester W209 primer. but thanks for the input i will give the others a try!

Its hard to mess with your current load, Even though it did fragment, it put a massive hole into that deers body cavity and penetrated deep. Next size up is the 338 platinum and i admit, i'd love to see how that one performs.

How far deer travel after being hit and how was the blood trail, if any?

You could try the 338. i plan on using your current load next year but with about 80-90gr Pyrodex P. I just have to see how well my Optima shoots them first.

You may also consider buying some loose powder of your liking and start off with around 70gr and work you way up until you hit the most accurate powder charge or accuracy suffers. You can buy powder tubes to hold your premeasured loads off of forum member Lane. I have 40 of his tubes and they are the best money can buy. Very inexpensive and are waterproof.

huh okay! i will look into that! Thanks! but i do want to play with at least one other bullet type, just to see. i was thinking shockwaves? or else Barnes Expanders...

EXPANDERS!!

Better yet, there is a new concial thats based off the solid barnes bullet. Its called the Thor bullet. Available in 250 or 300 grain. I dont know the website but let me see what i can find.

mroszkowski

Power Belts are way to the bottom of the good bullet list...

The best bullets in my book is a very short list...

for deer... Nosler .451/260 grain Partition
for elk..... Nosler .451/300 grain Partition PP or .458/300 grain Partition PP (really it is a 45/70 rifle bullet) in an Orange MMP sabot.

Of course you could sub in the Barnes line up but the Noslers are the best.... by the way did I tell you I am biased... a whole lot biased...

Those are expensive bullets - the best alternative at a decent price....

for deer .452/250 grain Speer Gold Dot
for deer or elk .452/300 grain Speer Gold Dot... with a BC of .233 dang thats good.

The Gold Dots are bonded and do not come apart.. they expand down to the dot then keep on driving.... I call them a "poorman's Nosler"

I shoot all of them with 110 grains of t7-2f.... for deer 100 grains would work just fine also.

These GD's should be just as devastating as a Nosler at aboput 1/2 the price.

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

Get either one of them and your good to go

If you are going to pay the price you pay for PB's you can buy a good bullet for the same price, on that shoots flat , like a Parker or a Barnes or an A frame or a Partition bullet, even the FPB or the 460 gr have many advantages. The logic of paying a premium price for a bullet you can not even push with a decent load escapes me. Lee

Latest posts

Back