Power Belt Bullet recovered! Pic inside!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frontier gander said:
EXPANDERS!!

Better yet, there is a new concial thats based off the solid barnes bullet. Its called the Thor bullet. Available in 250 or 300 grain. I dont know the website but let me see what i can find.

I have shot 10 of the 15 thors I bought and they shoot great with either 100 grn BH 209 or 110.
They were $28.00 for the 15 pack
I think I can get the same preformance at a better price but they shoot good
They load hard

Wow, they ain't cheap! I guess if you ordered multiples, the price would come down since you only have to pay shipping once. And when they are in retail or other online stores, I am guessing that the price will be lower yet

well i went ahead and and bought some 300 gr. Shockwaves, and some 300 gr. XTP's. What i am wondering is what the 45-300 MAG means on the XTP package?!? they are the high velocity ones... How are both of these bullets expansion/lethality and accuracy wise compared to the PowerBelt?

mroszkowski said:
well i went ahead and and bought some 300 gr. Shockwaves, and some 300 gr. XTP's. What i am wondering is what the 45-300 MAG means on the XTP package?!? they are the high velocity ones... How are both of these bullets expansion/lethality and accuracy wise compared to the PowerBelt?

Looks like the "Mag" applies to the sabot and it is a standard Hornady XTP and NOT the XTP magnum. That is a good thing IMO.:
https://secure.tcarms.com/store/index.p ... evstart/0/

You'll have to see for yourself how it compares to the Power Belt but the overwhelming majority of folks will tell you it's a much better choice. It will require more muscle to get down the bore than the Power Belt I bet. That's why a lot of guys will buy the Hornady XTP bullets in bulk from the reloading section and then you can get a separate bag of sabots. There are other sabots available that are of slightly different thicknesses so you can play with them to see what shoots best and requires the appropriate amount of pressure to load.

I shoot an encore- same bore and twist as the omega. Best load ive found is the 300 grain t/c shockwave with the superglide sabots over 130 grains of 777 pellets (two fiftys+one thirty). The hornady SS/T is the same bullet but with a hornady sabot. The sst loads ok in a clean barrel, but won't go down a fouled barrel. I load my first shot with a Hornady at the truck and my speedloaders have shockwaves in them as i can shoot 4 shots before cleaning with them.

mirage1988

Best load ive found is the 300 grain t/c shockwave with the superglide sabots

The regular SW with supplied sabot is a MMP HPH-24 sabot, the 'super glide' sabot is a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load sabot, the supplied sabot with the SST is also a MMP HPH-24, but Hornady now offers a red 'Low Drag' sabot also which is a HPH-3p-EZ load sabot.

But supply contracts can change at any time...

mroszkowski said:
twenty or so yards. i want a load that is the most devastating deer load possible.

I believe that would be an 81mm mortar Aim for the middle-no skinning necessary

Charlie

mroszkowski said:
twenty or so yards. i want a load that is the most devastating deer load possible.

A round ball ball would suffice at that distance. No need for an over priced conical that wears a skirt.

That is one disastrous bullet failure that wasted way too much meat. The Kill was sudden and final but that was out and out bullet failure irregardless. I am wondering why PB cannot build bullets ala partition for much better results. The front half would be blown off upon entry but the rear half would drive thru and fly out the other side even at BP ranges and would have no problems driving thru bone. I shudder to thik what kind of ugly wound that would leave on an Elk.

oldelkhunter said:
That is one disastrous bullet failure that wasted way too much meat. The Kill was sudden and final but that was out and out bullet failure irregardless. I am wondering why PB cannot build bullets ala partition for much better results. The front half would be blown off upon entry but the rear half would drive thru and fly out the other side even at BP ranges and would have no problems driving thru bone. I shudder to thik what kind of ugly wound that would leave on an Elk.

BUT,,,,they look good on paper.... :lol: :wink:

I'd quit hunting if all I had to choose from was a Powerbelt. 8)

Well I am going to use my extreme for Elk in colorado next year and contemplated using those bullets since they are legal. Thank god I read some of these posts and saw some pictures . They are last on the list. Last Elk hunt I had a super 91 and used .50 460 grain super slugs, now that was bullet performance on game. These PB's are posers.

Batchief909 said:
I'd quit hunting if all I had to choose from was a Powerbelt. 8)

Whoa, lets not get too crazy, the 444 gr FP isn't too bad...Its almost like I 460 gr with a fancy copper wash and plastic skirt.

"Isn't too bad",,,and "almost" sounds like a compromise to me. I just won't do that to an animal. 8)

Powerbelts

If I am in a territory / state / province that mandates full bore conical s - then I would use powerbelts. I find it difficult to settle for them, given the selection of superior sabotted projectiles out there.

Full bore conicals are easily obtained from here: http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/

Dan will cast whatever you want,,or need. No need to compromise with something wearing a plastic skirt. 8)

Dan's prices can't be beat. 8) No need to pay rediculous prices for "glitz".... :wink: 8)

Back