powerbelt aero tip platinum series bullets in Colorado??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Reaction score
Are these bullets allowed in Colorado? And would a 270 grain bullet be adaquite for elk hunting? If so what power grain charge would you recommend for a T/C Triumph.

Thanks for any input.

Yes, they are definately legal to use in Colorado.

No, I would not recommend the 270 grain for elk. Go with the 338 grain.

I would try in the 90-110 range of powder. If you get accuracy, you are set.

I would not reccommend using any powerbelt on elk, I would stick with some other form of conical.

If you do use one, get the biggest that is legal. In CO's Muzzleloader season the length of the bullet cannot be over twice the bore's diameter. This does not include the plastic piece behind the bullet. I believe you can get the next size up over 338 grain and still be legal.

Powerbelts

I am hunting Elk here in a few weeks in Colorado. I tried the 270 platinums and did ok.

I would go with the 295 Powerbelt aerotips. I have had great groups with them. I know several that have taken Bulls with the 295 aerotip. I personally have taken a Cow Elk with the 295 aerotips and recovered the Elk at about 80 yards.

First off, I have not had the pleasure of hunting elk with powerbelts. I have only hunted deer.

I do not see why the platinum tip powerbelts would not work just fine. Granted I will admit, if a larger weight powerbelt would shoot as good then I would go with something heavier, but if the 270 is accurate, and you're pushing it with a good powder charge. Place that powerbelt in the right place and if you can distroy some necessary vital organs, then you will have an elk.

The big thing with any animal we hunt is shot placement. If you can not hit where you aim then it will not work. Also then you have to take into consideration the design of the projectile and the powder charge. In this case, the platimum tip powerbelts were made for better penetration then the standard powerbelts. And they are of still enough weight that when they hit vital organs they should do the job.

Good luck to you and all the others who will be elk hunting this year.

Back