Precision Rifle "Dead Center" bullet experience?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_vanfossen

Reaction score
Anyone have any?

I'm wondering if they are as good as they claim and their test proves...

Also- anyone have any experience shooting all lead bullets and issues with cleaning?

Thanks

Since they use a sabot, I would not think cleaning would be any different than with using a shockwave or sst. I have had very good accuracy with their 240 gr, 40 cal in a .45 barrel. This has been with a charge of 70 gr of t7 2f, and I would not hesitate to use that load (at about 1725 fps) out to about 150 yards.

I tried them they are soft and if you don't handle and load them just so then you get fliers. I came to the conclusion that jacketed bullets are more reliable. I believe that jacketed bullets have a jacket for very good reasons and that modern muzzle loaders and been developed to the point where that applies. Lee

I have used the Precision Rifle Dead Centers, and Extreme Elite HP's for the last 4yrs. They are a very good bullet, however as Lee stated, you must handle and load with care!! They come with a bullet seater in every pack, and that is the only one I will use on a PR Bullet. A good rotating collet above that is advised. These bullets are excellent performers, but you must find the right sabot and powder charge to get good groups with them. I have used the 240gr, 260gr in .40 calm and am now trying the 300gr .43 cal. If you have anymore questions on these, just let me know!

PR Bullet

I have used the 45 cal 195 dead center in my winchester x-150
and harvested a good number of deer with them My fartherest shot
was 180 yds (Laser range finder before I shot) This was in a open field
I could see the deer run off and followed up to retreive it
By using this bullet I never had a DRT I know of several fellows
using the 300 gr extreme Elite bullet with DRT results I always
shot for the boiler maker (Heart Lung area)
The 195 DC would shoot sub MOA Cecil Epp has alot of info
on his site I'm currently shooting in another 45 I tried BH209
with the 240gr DC The bullet didnt seat very tight I had two shots
go off and two that misfired I know if I shoot 777 FF of 777FFF
I could get MOA with his bullets My next componet to try with
BH209 is the 40 SST

pioneerhunter said:
is it true that lead becomes softer than air at velocities faster than 2,200fps?

yes.. .the key to these bullets is to stay 2100fps or less.

Dead Centers and esp. the QT line have a HUGE hp... too much velocity and they come apart. Slow them down and they work well.

Precision Rifle bullets

Well I just started shooting Elite 260's as I was unsatisfied with everything else I tried. All I can tell you is this is by far the greatest groups ever tenfold out of my Disc Elite and I've tried alot. Nothing fancy aside from indexing rifling in the middle of sabot petals, 76 to 84 grns weighed T7 and it will shoot one continuous hole at 50 yards and one ragged hole at 100 yards, settled on 82 grns weighed for my next two hunts. Tried 200 yards but 15 mph crosswind the day I tried 200 and had trouble holding crosshairs steady and had about 7" group, will work on that one again soon. Only 3/4" elevation difference in POI from 50 to 100. I didn't chronograph these yet but I'm looking to shoot this load around 2000 FPS which is plenty horsepower with a lead bullet which should be around 80 grns weighed. I've had no trouble with bullets deforming other than very edge of hollow point. I use a real slender Saunders archery field point for small carbon arrow and push it in hollow point lightly and rotate it and it makes the hollow point perfectly round before I load. I love them and they are a steal of a deal especially in bulk. I will work up a load for Blackhorn next chance I get. Western Powders site states 2030 FPS for 260 with 120 Grns volume. Hope this helps.

great shooting Jim! For $6 a dozen I'm going to buy them as well. They did great in the drop contest listed on their site....

I've found that the 220 gr 40cal Dead Center gives me great accuracy in both my 45 and 50 cal Kngiht Disc Elites. I've killed deer out to 140 yard with a short blood trail and have head shot quite a few does with the same bullets.

hawghunter- you must really know your rifle to head shoot your game!! I'm new and just trying to just get to know the ML trajectory! lol

260 DC as recovered from a wild boar...

From a Savage 10ML-II / 44gr 5744

Picture041.jpg

good deal.... Doohan.

your avitar- the black tipped bullet- is that the PR extreme ballistic?

That is the Parker Ballistic Extreme.. 275 grain

By far my favortite bullet!

Back