Price for an Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUY A .50 !!!!!!!!!!!!

.45's are mostly HYPE unless you have plenty of time to tinker..

How far is your average shot?

Nah, don't feel that way. .45s are no more hype than .50s - it's just that manufacturers seem to push the .45s in a hype fashion and do not support their use properly. A .45 can do anything a .50 can (if given the same level of support from bullet makers/sabot makers). As a conical rifle, a .45 is far more practical for the home caster due to availability of moulds that will produce an acceptable bullet.

And the 1:20 twist would have been fine had the manufacturers put out quality barrels and suggested loads similar to a 350 grain PowerStar rather that try to sell them as varmint rifles. 8)

I wouldnt go with a .45 either. I know my state (colorado) does not allow is for elk size game. Plus they seem to be a little more picky with bullet combos.

I am selling a .50cal omega for $475 shipped.

9.7-9.8 out of 10 condition.

Shoots conicals and sabots excellent.

Has a bushnell trophy 3x9-40 scope.

Smooth crisp trigger and to top it off, A laminated rosewood thumbhole stock.
Picture490.jpg

All targets @ 100 yards...
250gr Parker hydracon,
Picture496-1.jpg

405gr Aerotip Powerbelt,
Picture487-1.jpg

295gr Powerbelt,
Picture468-1.jpg

Had some target pics with 370gr maxiballs but i cleaned out my photobucket

Don't worry UC, I was bein' a little sarcastic. I fell just fine with .05" less bore diameter than the rest of the guys shootin' .50's, never seemed to slow me down any. Sure slowed down the deer when 460 gr of lead hit them. I should get some of those powerstars. Sounds like a good round.

I've finally narrowed it down between two choices. I'm going to follow your recommendation and go with the .50 cal. More choices in bullets and powder charges etc. The toss up is between a Triumph with a black stock,blued barrel, weathershield, for $347. The other choice is an Omega, black thumbhole stock, blued barrel for $325. Thanks for the offer Gander. That sure is a beauty. So what do you think gentlemen?

I've made up my mind. I'm going with the Triumph. I'm going to get it tomorrow. Thanks once again for all your help. You guys are alright!

Because of the tropical storm I couldn't get my Triumph until Monday. I actually bought it for $20 cheaper than what I had posted. I'll be hitting the range this weekend to see what it will do straight out of the box. Any suggestions on a scope base?

Flhtr said:
Any suggestions on a scope base?

You made the right choice for sure. Congradulations 8)

Big6x6 talked me into the cheap one piece Encore/Omega base i think. :) They have worked great on my two Triumphs.

Thanks Grouse! From all the reviews I've read I'm sure I'll be happy with it! :D

Flhtr said:
I've made up my mind. I'm going with the Triumph. I'm going to get it tomorrow. Thanks once again for all your help. You guys are alright!

You WON'T be sorry! 8) Get some Blackhorn 209 while you are at it!

Hey 6x6. I don't think I'll be sorry either! :D I see that BH 209 is not a full pound of powder. How many shots, on average, should I get from a container of BH 209?

4375 grains/container

assume 5% spillage/waste

leaves 4156 grains usable

100 grains volumetric weighs ~68 grains

4156/68= 61 charges of 100 grains volumetric

$33.00 per container/61 charges per container= $0.54 per shot

ps: has anyone actually weighed the powder in a fresh container?? And why does the bottle have to be so big for so little powder.

Trickery?

Underclocked, Thanks for that detailed forensic analysis! :lol: Could you do my taxes next year? :lol: Just kidding! Thanks for the info!

Back