Primer failure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having trouble with primers failing to detonate. My guess is that polishing the hammer mechanism or installing a heavier spring be the course of action to correct this?

some more info would help,
what ML are you shooting?
what primers?
have you tried any other primers?
Has this just became a problem or is this a new ML?
It’s a Cabela’s 58 cal Hawken about 25 to 30 years old in apparent Queen condition having been a resident unfitted of my safe for all but a very few of those years. I’ve one new tin of primers and one older tin of primers both marked with a U imprinted on them. I have never fired it previous to yesterday.

It’s a Cabela’s 58 cal Hawken about 25 to 30 years old in apparent Queen condition having been a resident unfitted of my safe for all but a very few of those years. I’ve one new tin of primers and one older tin of primers both marked with a U imprinted on them. I have never fired it previous to yesterday.
Actually made by Interarms is what I was told by Cabelas.

Yes but Only sometimes. Many times the priming is left plugging the hole in the holder.
If they are not seated all the way on the nipple they will not fire you need #11 caps and seat they . Seem they are not seated and the first strike is knocking the compound out

Well you have the proper caps (#11). I would take the advice above and check for spent caps in the hamner cup. Remove the lock and spray it good with Gun Blaster or similar (carburetor cleaner), dry and add a drop or 2 of CLP on the spring and the other moving parts. Also when you reassemble check to be sure the hammer isn't dragging on the stock which will slow it down.
Install a cap and push down on it to be sure its seated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back