Primer for new CVA Accura MRX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just saw a Video where a CVA rep said the new Accura MRX/LRX will be shot using a “large rifle primer” with Variflame adapter. Apparently it helps stabilize the bullet velocity to a more consistent value.

So my question... I have a whole bunch of 209 shotshell primers I bought....will those still work? Or am I gonna have to try and find some “large rifle primers”

I’ll be using Blackhorn 209 if it matters.

Last i heard the MR-X and LR-X come with a 209 plug. The Variflame is a optional plug.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-qrbp-variflame-conversion-kit-accura-mr-x-lr-x-ac1737.html
Converts the CVA™ MR-X & LR-X from a 209 primer
into a large rifle primer ignition system

qQAOHkm.jpg

Last edited:
Basically the variflame adapter is a steel carrier for a large rifle primer. You prime and deprime the adapter similar to how you would a case. When it's all assembled it looks somewhat like a 209 primer but different dimensions. The advantage to this is that the large rifle primers leave less of a crud ring with Triple7.
As mentioned above, I do believe I saw 209 is standard ignition and the variflame system is optional.

Thanks for the replies! I contacted CVA I guess they are still recommending the 209 shotshell primers but are currently experimenting with the large rifle primers/variflame. Stay tuned.

I switched my Remington UML to Lukes LRMP's I am all out of 209 primers However I do have 1000 LRMP's + as well as 1000 + LRP more than I'll ever need if they could be shipped I would gladly share some for one in need My gunsmith was able to repair the ding I got to the muzzle with very little loss of metal With the chance of hunting 4-6 times on disabled hunts I will use the UML I sold my smokeless as I figured I would never be able to hunt again Should have looked into this but I figured my hunting days were over

I switched my Remington UML to Lukes LRMP's I am all out of 209 primers However I do have 1000 LRMP's + as well as 1000 + LRP more than I'll ever need if they could be shipped I would gladly share some for one in need My gunsmith was able to repair the ding I got to the muzzle with very little loss of metal With the chance of hunting 4-6 times on disabled hunts I will use the UML I sold my smokeless as I figured I would never be able to hunt again Should have looked into this but I figured my hunting days were over
Can I buy your large rifle primers?

They sit flush with the breech plug or the action wont close. I bet that might be a reason you are not seeing the Variflame available for QRBP yet. They just fall out and almost nothing holds them in the plug. Make them tight enough to hold and seal up like a ASG, you are gunna need a tool to remove them too.

If you had the vari-flame adapters, or modules such as Lukes, you can ship them to someone to prime, and they could then be shipped back to you, much the same way primed brass is shipped.
I find it funny primers by themselves can't be shipped, but primed brass can.

Latest posts

Back