Primer misfires/scope leveling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

Reaction score
Back from a week at camp.

I had 3 777 primer misfires over the first few days. All were only when firing the gun to clear it at the end of the day.

The first one was probably my fault. I didn't fire a primer before loading the first day. There was most likely some moisture in there.

The second one happened after a trip to town. I pulled the primer and stuck it in my pants pocket. Came back, hunted the afternoon, then aimed at a target near camp - click - no bang. New primer - bang.

The third was a primer I had in my rubber primer holder while re-sighting the scope.

I had to go to a local gunshop to get help leveling the scope. He said he was an avid muzzleloader and told me to use regular old shotgun primers. I now have CCI shotgun primers and shot 10-15 rounds without misfires.

About the scope problem. I mounted it and leveled it myself. Everything I read said to level the top of the scope to the top of the scope mount. I did. As I ranged out beyond 50 yards my pattern was moving to the left. The stock was very noticiblely canted.

The level was verified by the gunsmith. We decided to check the level to the sights on the barrel- way off. We leveled it to the top of the front sight. Shot 20-30 rounds 50-100-200-250 yards. All on target.

As you can see in my signature I have the Nikon omega. I am now using the superglide shockwave 250's. The retical for 200 yards shot 1/2 a target high. The retical for 250 was a full target high. The pattern at 200 was about the size of a coffee cup saucer. The pattern at 250 about a dinner plate.

NO deer- first time ever. There is a well project on the property which must have pushed them around. Still lots of season left!

Max

I had 3 777 primer misfires over the first few days. All were only when firing the gun to clear it at the end of the day.

That would surely be the LAST time I'd use THOSE primers. I'm hearing of that problem more and more with those primers. Boy..they will REALLY decrease the "crud ring" if the rifle doesn't DISCHARGE! :lol:

I'm thinking the Triple Se7en primers are going to the Modern Muzzleloader DO NOT USE bin! It's about time for some muzzleloading "writers" to amend their "review" of those primers don't you think?

Max: As per big6x6, sounds like you solved the misfire problem.
To scope leveling, it may be that your scope base mounting holes were drilled and tapped off center. An easy way to level your scope is to hang a rope with weight at 100yds, then with rifle level on bench align vertical cross hair with rope. Good luck, Dean

I've heard of some guys having the mis-fire problem with 777 primers, but I bought 3 boxes about a month ago, and I have shot all but 20 of them, and have had no problems. Maybe I just got lucky, but they really will cut down on the crud ring problem, and blow back around the primer hole is much less also.

I have had excellent luck with the Winchester 777 primers with 2 777 pellets pushing the 250 shockwave. I tried using regular Winchester w209 primers and I thought that it was a little bit of over kill primer wise. I always make sure I fire a primer first to burn off the excess oil, or I will most certainly have a misfire on the first shot. I tried using the 245 powerbelts but could not get them to group as well as the shockwaves from my Black Diamond.

Another easy way to level a scope is to place a clear glass of water across the room, and make sure the gun's plumb. The water line will always be level. :wink:

Those 777 primers are junk in my opinion the guy at the store gave you great advice CCI's are a very good primer i doubt you will ever have a problem with those. I had the same problem with the 777 primers as you it took only three miss fires and i tossed them there junk.

Back