primers stuck in bare 209 bolt face

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not due to exceeding max load. The rifle is rated for 150 grains of powder. I have the same issues with the same bokt and breechlug with less powder than what he is using. Except my primers not only stick in the bolt face but also get stuck in the plug sometimes. Recocking and firing again doesn't work either.

I now have a Lehigh plug and extreme bolt with Lehigh adaptor. It is going to be a little while but I am going to reported my findings and comparison of the mountaineer style bolt and plug vs the Lehigh system. My early thoughts are the Lehigh system is better and knight needs to do something about their new conversion system.

Where is it stated that knight rifles are safe with150 grain of blackhorn or triple seven mag powder? Don't believe that is a safe statement.

There's several issues with knight bare primer setup. Mostly headspace issue and flame channel volume is to small and ventliners erode and firing pin is to large.. then add excessive loads and you have a leaking sticking mess.
The fix is proper load, headspace, open flame channel ,install carbide bushing and smaller firing pin and bushing in bolt.

bestill said:
Where is it stated that knight rifles are safe with150 grain of blackhorn or triple seven mag powder? Don't believe that is a safe statement.

There's several issues with knight bare primer setup. Mostly headspace issue and flame channel volume is to small and ventliners erode and firing pin is to large.. then add excessive loads and you have a leaking sticking mess.
The fix is proper load, headspace, open flame channel ,install carbide bushing and smaller firing pin and bushing in bolt.

+1

Whether the knight is rated for 150 grains of bh209 and triple seven has been debated a few times and I don't care to get into it. But it doesn't really matter because I am having the same issues with typical loads of bh209. So how can it be narrowed down to too big of a load? In my opinion the problem will be fixed with proper headspace (shimming) and not having to do install different firing pins and carbine bushings.

captaincaveman said:
what shims do I need and where do I find them?

OK finally getting time to get to this.

Headspace of the lack of can be one of the biggest reasons that a primer from the battery cup is forced up into the hammer hole in the face of the bolt.

If you look carefully at this picture of a Knight NFPJ Breech Plug you can see the SS shim installed in the bottom of the primer pocket to achieve a 'primer crush' and 0 headspace with a given primer. And in my case it is modified to accept W209 primers.

Most new rifles in the Mountaineer series and possibly the new Extreme series have a much tighter 'tolerance' on the depth of the breech plug pocket in the barrel. On the other hand older rifles like the Original DISC the tolerance level was much lower. In those days no-one thought about a clean breech. I have two Original DISC's that the breech plug need to be shimmed to 0.025" to achieve 0 headspace. Even older DISC Extremes/Elites can vary by as much as 10-15 thou.

It seems to me the new Mountaineer series can vary but 0.005" and some will require shimming. Not all of this is dependent on the depth of the BP hole. If the bolt length is off just a little it will greatly effect the head space. Even the rear of the bolt and how it closes can effect headspace. So it really does not have to be one thing.

It really helps if you determine the measurement of what shims you might need to fix your problem before you start shimming. The shims for this process come in 3 thicknesses and 2 OD sizes that you can use.

OD sizes.... there are a group of shims with an OD of 0.241" that will drop right into the primer pocket. With these shims you can just keep adding shims until you feel the primer crush. Then add up the number of shims you have installed and you will know what you might need. The 0.241" will then fall out or can be easily pulled out to empty the primer pocket.

The second OD size shim is a 0.248" shim and will/can pressed into the primer pocket. This shim will stick and stay in the primer pocket - you will not be able to remove it. So before installing these shims make sure you know the size you need to use.

This is a package of 0.0248" x 0.032" shims -probably a size you will never need but they are available.

This picture shows a 0.0248" x 0.005" shim inserted in the top of a BP ready to be driven down with a spent 209 primer and a plastic mallet.

This link should carry you to the McMaster-Carr catalog page for the correct shims

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3249/=10geukw

For the 0.241 OD shim look in the group of shims labeled -> 18-8 Stainless Steel. Three sizes 5 - 16 - 30 thou thickness. I see no reason to get any 0.030 shims, followed only a few would ever need 0.016 shims. The 0.005 is probably the best all around for testing to achieve the correct fit.

For the 0.248" OD shim look in the -> Spring Steel section -> for shim thicknesses of 5 - 15 - 32 thou. These shims can be pressed in for a permanent fit.

An easy way out of all of this is to use high pressure rubber "0" rings... they normally last about 50 shots.

Achieving 0 to near 0 headspace is a real desirable in my mind.

My spent CCI magnum primers get stuck in the breech plug channel and it's very difficult to get it out. When it does come out, then I have to remove the bolt and pry it out the the breech face. It's a hassle. I'll probably switch to W209 primers.

shims arrived today and are installed...going to bang off a few this afternoon...I will let yall know how it goes

captaincaveman said:
shims arrived today and are installed...going to bang off a few this afternoon...I will let yall know how it goes

How long did it take for them to get them to you?

I want to try just one of the thinnest shims in my Super DISC. Win209s are ok but the Feds and CCIs nearly always stick in my NFPJ adapter.

chaded said:
captaincaveman said:

2 weeks to get the bolt and breech plug. 2 days to get the shims to fix it

GM54-120 said:
I want to try just one of the thinnest shims in my Super DISC. Win209s are ok but the Feds and CCIs nearly always stick in my NFPJ adapter.
PM me your address and I'll send you a couple. Had to order 50 and only needed 3

shimmed it .0015 and it works great. Thanks for the help Sabotloader Just curious why I have to fix new stuff to make it work

captaincaveman said:
chaded said:
captaincaveman said:

2 weeks to get the bolt and breech plug. 2 days to get the shims to fix it

Thanks. I ordered on Saturday and it was sent out ups today. I live in ohio so it should be here by Wednesday. I will shim mine and report how it goes.

Got my shims today. I shimmed mine .015. I am getting a slight crush and fired a handful of primers which all fell out clean. I could go .020 and be okay but I am going to see how .015 does because I can always add another shim if I need to but I think it will be good since I am getting a slight crush. I am heading to the range tomorrow or Thursday to see how it goes with decent doses of bh209.

This is with a knight super disc .45 with Lehigh plug, extreme bolt with Lehigh adapter, and W209 primers.

chaded said:
Got my shims today. I shimmed mine .015. I am getting a slight crush and fired a handful of primers which all fell out clean. I could go .020 and be okay but I am going to see how .015 does because I can always add another shim if I need to but I think it will be good since I am getting a slight crush. I am heading to the range tomorrow or Thursday to see how it goes with decent doses of bh209.

This is with a knight super disc .45 with Lehigh plug, extreme bolt with Lehigh adapter, and W209 primers.

I have done 3 or 4 Super DISC`s and they seem to be pretty consistent at 15-20 thou...Most often all you need is a slight `crush` because when you shoot the prime it will also grow about 0.005 thou.

I suggest that either this thread (or new one) is a sticky. We are getting enough people and threads on this issue that I think warrants one. It has been very helpful and I think the information could be of value to others. Just my opinion though.

chaded said:
I suggest that either this thread (or new one) is a sticky. We are getting enough people and threads on this issue that I think warrants one. It has been very helpful and I think the information could be of value to others. Just my opinion though.

X2

Back