Problem pulling a No Excuses bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know. I think I will get the long, since I also have a Renegade.

This bullet is at the bottom of the barrel. That will be a lot of grease.

Thanks.

Good to know. I think I will get the long, since I also have a Renegade.

This bullet is at the bottom of the barrel. That will be a lot of grease.

Thanks.

You might have a Hard time finding the long ones, They seem to be a “Specialty“ type item, at least around here, Nobody carried them. I had to order the Long one

Plenty of Places online, like this
https://zerksplus.com/zerks-1-4-28/

I was able to find a long zerk here locally but I could see that they might be tough in some areas. We have a lot of manufacturing companies in southern Idaho.

This bullet was the one that was jammed down the Hawken that my friend has. I don't have a clue what that bullet is. I don't think it had powder at all. The plastic is I think, a polly patch.

p5NXZPo.jpg

jaJ5w0M.jpg

This was the ball before I started work on it.

KsiHpRi.png

I screwed a ball puller into it and left it in. Then I pumped a couple pumps of grease. It was so tight that it popped and shot almost all the way out. The diameter of the bullet was odd to me.

hwdUr8v.jpg

My friend Bill is a older man. I think he was very embarrassed by it and when I questioned him he was angry about trying to answer questions so I left it alone.
I looked into the barrel when it was out. This is the breech before.

4NuGDYo.png

This was the breech after.

bvOHkp9.png

I pushed a patch down and took another picture so I could see the barrel better.

CxuHfTK.png

The gun will most likely never be shot again but I did want to clean it up as well as I could.

Be aware, if you try the drill bit trick first and wind up putting a hole clear through the projectile, then the grease method will not work for you anymore.

Well, here is my lesson.

The drill bit worked this morning. I think I thought about all that grease for most of the night. Good point about not drilling through the conical.

Here is what I think for the future. Especially on range days. I am going to keep the two dowels and paint them different colors. One color for no load and another color for the load. Whenever we get a long stop at the range I will put the appropriate colored dowel in the barrel. Normally I can see the stop coming and just never start any loading. But, at least I can see that bright yellow rod telling me (we are empty and waiting).

Thanks to everyone. Lessons of life and age playing an increasing part of everything.

Well, here is my lesson.

The drill bit worked this morning. I think I thought about all that grease for most of the night. Good point about not drilling through the conical.

Here is what I think for the future. Especially on range days. I am going to keep the two dowels and paint them different colors. One color for no load and another color for the load. Whenever we get a long stop at the range I will put the appropriate colored dowel in the barrel. Normally I can see the stop coming and just never start any loading. But, at least I can see that bright yellow rod telling me (we are empty and waiting).

Thanks to everyone. Lessons of life and age playing an increasing part of everything.
You may be able to get the range officers to help you out possibly. The range I use is almost always CF shooters, I'm usually the only muzzleloader shooter. Often they would call a cease fire when I was in the middle of my loading process. A couple times it was even when I just had a fail to fire due to a blocked flame channel and needed to remove the nipple and put some powder under it. That creates a problem obviously, as I can't get my weapon empty and don't have the time to do so before the full cease fire is called. As you know, being interrupted can also lead to problems. When signing in I've started asking the range officer on duty if they would mind watching me and calling a ceasefire right after I fire, and explained why. They have had no problem doing this.

If you get real desperate;
- get a 7/16" wood dowel
- with a 1/8" high speed drill bit, drill a hole about an inch and a half deep in one end of the dowel
- epoxy the butt end of the 1/8" bit into the hole in the dowel
- use the dowel/drill bit assembly to drill a hole into the nose of the bullet, twisting by hand
- it will be a slow process because you will need to drill about 1/4" at a time then pull the drill rod
from the barrel to remove accumulated lead
- squirt some lubricant down the bore
- use a good quality rod to screw the bullet puller into the hole in the bullet nose
- PULL HARD 😁
I too was now in this fun road about a year ago, I did almost the same thing. I took a 716 steel rod, drill the 8th inch hole in one in and braised a bit into it. Picking the opposite end, I board a whole and braised small tapered metal screw into it. By wrapping the rod with electrical tape, I was able to safely place it in the bore.
I could then by fastening vice grips to a bare spot on the rod turn it into the ball. Then turning the rod around, I use the vice grips to screw into the ball. Placing a piece of inch pipe over the rod, I could tap on the reattached vice grips and the ball came right out. I made my rod long enough to use in any of my 50 caliber rifles, in case I have to do it again. My problem was that I had stuck a ball halfway down the barrel and couldn't move it any further. I didn't want to drive on it with a hammer as I might injure the bore. It worked like a champ.
Squint

Well, here is my lesson.

The drill bit worked this morning. I think I thought about all that grease for most of the night.

I have seen a lot of guys that chickened out because " all that grease".
When I extracted the bullet with grease I bet there was less than a spoon full. I have seen guys screw up their barrels trying stuff when the grease is literally the safest way. Glad you got it out.

Latest posts

Back