Providence

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lighthorseman

Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading the various hunting stories from all of you this season. Like most I had high hopes before the season started. Trying to hunt between shoulder surgeries, I figured Oct was the only window I had as my right shoulder replacement was scheduled for the 7th of November.......but as it turned out the surgery was delayed until two weeks ago and so I had all the deer rut to hunt.

I have two places to hunt, here on our 36 ac. and 30 minutes from here on "the ranch" which has about 1,800 acres. Hunting with my smooth rifle, success was more likely here at home rather than the wide open spaces of the ranch. Choosing to hunt for mature bucks and bulls, I was once again limiting myself, however I had decided early on that by the last couple of days of the deer season, had I not taken a buck yet, I'd "Baptize" my new smooth rifle with a doe. Elk season was a bust with the local herd not showing up during the season here at home and too many guns blazing at the ranch slaughtering nearly ten spikes...which I refuse to kill. But this year even deer season saw few nice bucks.....few bucks period and certainly none I wanted......stranger yet, fewer doe than normal on the ranch, though we still had the 15 or so doe and fawn hanging around on our 36 ac. Add to that a very wet Oct. (6" of rain for the month) and wet as well in November, hunting was pretty awful. December 1rst finally arrived which is the end of regular rifle season with fresh snow on the ground I had decided to head out to my blind a couple hundred yds from the house and sit for the evening.

Preparing to leave, I looked out the back kitchen window and saw 20 yds from the back door eight or so doe browsing in the woods........a few years back I was standing washing dishes when I noticed a nice buck chasing a doe, no more than 30 yds from the house. Grabbing my Sharps, I dispatched the biggest whitetail buck to date at 40 yds, while using the the door post to steady on. This would have been the same shot only closer with my smooth rifle and I would finally made meat with my new flinter........but standing there I remember the full freezer next to me and how a patient had brought fresh caught salmon from Alaska to Clair and now the freezer was filled to the brim. Watching the most obvious target broadside, I realized how easily it would be to fill my deer tag. But standing there I realized right then there was nothing in me that wanted to pull the trigger on the peacefully browsing doe.......not an issue of conscience but rather simply no desire....not even any bragging rights to finally killing a deer with a smooth bore flintlock.......more of a peace that my season was over and I was okay with that. A lot different than 30 years ago when "getting skunked" would have left me feeling a bit hollow. Having some venison jerky right now would be nice, but letting that doe who hopefully was covered this year throw a nice little buck next spring....who will hopefully mature into a nice mature buck, just seemed this year to make more sense.

Congratulations to y'all who made meat this year or will do before it's over......especially those who killed their first muzzle loading deer or elk.........never let the "getting" become more important than the "hunting".

Be Blessed! :hats off:

Doug

LH:
I'm 63 and time has mellowed me also. With Maine's deer population so low , I'm happy to get a glimpse. The important thing is to keep going out and enjoying what we still have! Nice story!
Nit Wit

I with you guys.  But, its been 5-years since I dropped a buck and I'm getting kind of anxious to do some buck popping.  Doe eats the same, but I don't get the same rush. Ya know?

Old Smoke said:
I with you guys.  But, its been 5-years since I dropped a buck and I'm getting kind of anxious to do some buck popping.  Doe eats the same, but I don't get the same rush. Ya know?
 Amen! ;)

Nit Wit said:
LH:
I'm 63 and time has mellowed me also. With Maine's deer population so low , I'm happy to get a glimpse. The important thing is to keep going out and enjoying what we still have! Nice story!
Nit Wit
NIT............thanks! :hats off:

I get excited just being out in the mountains and exploring. Hunting elk in Colorado is pretty tough in my parts, but I KNOW they are there, its just catching them at the right spot at the right time. Once a week they may move through a certain area and if you are not there, your tag is going to be mighty dry in that soup this winter.

Jon

the last trophy bull that was in the right place at the right time, was poached out from under me by a road hunter on our property.......several shots were sent in my direction requiring me to duck behind a large Ponderosa.......when the ground fog lifted, all I could do is watch as they drug the bull off from the neighbor's property (which they were also illegally trespassing on)......a call to Idaho Fish and Game resulted in further frustration........but I have found that unless Providence intervenes, my hunting success or failure is less a "crap shoot" and more listening and being led. I used to fancy myself an accomplished hunter, but too many years spent covering miles.... up and down mountains throughout Colorado, revealed that being in the right place at the right time was for me personally....bigger than myself. :thumbs up:

Never was a trophy hunter although i lucked into  three bucks that scored over 175 points in the 1960s.   

Due to some serious medical problems it's critical that i stay active.   Every day i'm alive is like Christmas, New Years, the 4th of July and Labor Day all rolled into one.  To me its all about getting out and enjoying nature.  i could care less that the deer elude me.  Don't eat much meat anyway.   Every year about April i defrost the freezer and take 50-75 pounds of venison and wild pork to the food bank.   In 2016 I killed two bucks.  Also found a fresh road killed doe that i checked in.   Gave them all away.   

My passion is  hunting hogs.   Currently i get a wild hog about every  2.5 trips out.   i prefer company while hunting.  Unfortunately  my friends here are too busy eating, crapping and waiting to die to get out and hunt.

Falcon

seems a good number of us here on this forum are a bit long in the tooth and obviously most seem to want to still be to be out there. For myself, I have a life long vision to complete, a wife to love and serve and being the "Patriarch" of the family, still have some wisdom and knowledge for those of our kids and grandkids that will still listen. All of this I hope to complete before I "go under".

Hunting is still high on the list and as I started out toten a muzzle loader, it's always been more about trying to experience the historicity of the more primitive hunt. Some may understand that carrying a reproduction flinter or cap gun......or even my Shiloh, is trying somehow to capture what it must be like to have been that long hunter, mountaineer, or buffalo hunter. Even if there is little game to shoot at, just carrying my smooth rifle, shooting bag, powder horn and belt axe allows me to live for a few fleeting moments, the difficulty of the stalk or challenge of single, but well placed shots. Like Jon is experiencing, even the clothing goes a ways to transport us back to...year after year live out a fantasy, which if Providence wills it, also procures meat for the freezer or a trophy mount. Hopefully this brings back time after time that moment when the universe is perfectly and after the smoke had cleared.....a buck, bull, hog or bear laid lifeless on the ground.....once again to remind us why we hunt and also why we pursue game with the methodology we have chosen.

I 've never hunted hogs but reading you fellows hog hunting exploits sure has added it to my bucket list.

:thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back