Federal Premium 209MZ Muzzleloading Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0328.jpg

G_0329.jpg

A couple three days ago was shooting the 45 Omega. Load was 105g 777ff, a vegetable fiber wad, and a 45 caliber 260g Speer Jacketed HP #4481, sized for land riding. Reloading was done after swabbing, and all went well.

Then came the notion to reload without swabbing. Wow, reloading without swabbing was a horrible idea. Bullet was stuck about 2" above the powder. Had to beat on the ram rod with a 2 X 6 to get the bullet to the powder. Oh well, live and learn.

Yesterday the 45 Omega was loaded with 100g Blackhorn, the land riding Speer, and the vegetable wad. The loaded rifle, and the primers were left out in the driveway overnight. At the house this morning it was 12°. The rifle, and the primers were put in the back of the truck for the ride up to the hills. It was 9° with a strong breeze upon arrival up there. One shot was made on target. Ignition of the Blackhorn in the cold was instantaneous.

G_0330.jpg

THANK YOU for the Cold Weather Testing🙏. So, it appears they are Equivalent to the CCI209M Magnum Primers 👍

Thanks for freezing you a\+ off just to bring use this 😊,
I bought some 2 months ago and was wondering if they would work with BH 209 in cold weather now I know.
Thank you again for the sacrifice I know I couldn’t do it.
9 Degrees brrrrrrrrrrr.

I thought they were a cooler primer, like Winchester 777 primers

Ron, Your tests are awesome. :elmer:
Being east coast here and shooting 9 degree temps with wind,,,, I don’t know if I could hit the target. :roll:

Last edited:
These also work well in my CVA, 100% reliability so far and not much for blowback.

I had the exact same experience with a no swab second shot and the bullet getting stuck (very stuck).

A followup shot with a land rider with no swab is impossible with triple 7 in my experience

Thanks for getting frostbite to get this little test done Ron.

My first inline was a Winchester 150 bolt gun when the gun was first available and it was primer fired. Back then I shot T7 granular. That gun would shoot super on the clean barrel with a sabot and bullet, but a follow up shot without a quick wipe was something of another nature. The bullet and sabot came from Canada and was sold here at Cabelas, 180 grain lead spitzer shaped bullet. Uncanny accuracy as long as one accepted the need to wipe the pipe after each shot. A buddy at that time was handloading a .45 cal revolver and was using a 225-240 grain bullet with a half jacket and exposed lead semi-flat point and I talked him out of a couple just to see how they fit this gun's bore and they fit with what was about a perfect imprint of the lands and went thru the barrel about as hard as the sabot/ bullet so I tried those two with some wadding and a slightly cooler charge of the T7. At the same target I'd shot the saboted bullet this solo bullet hit two inches higher. I was impressed, until I forgot to wipe the barrel when I tried the other bullet. That's when I was faced with Ron's and Rob's experience. Wood dowel at home with a hammer from the breech end finally removed the stuck bullet.

Now back then I simply assumed that the powder was dirty enough to hinder a second load and was partially correct as right from the very muzzle a second shot would begin to balk. Primers at that time were sold in the reloading department. Period. None of today's weak tit 209 stuff back then. And my assumption back then with the second bore fit bullet was that the copper jacket was harder than the sabot plastic which I could actually get forced to the powder with the ram rod for a second shot if needed.

Today I shoot the same T7 at the range but use the slightly cleaner burning [for me at least] fffg granulation. Won't touch a pellet. I have just accepted the need to wipe between shots and honestly shoot the exact charge that I do in each gun that uses BH209 in the hunting realm. I get identical results on the paper and on a deer. I've also decided that a sabot/bullet combo shoots best in my guns and have settled on that. Another conclusion is that it's not so much a primer problem, because I still get the crud ring using any of the muzzleloading primers of the many I have tried. I still have some black and Pyro that I mess with just to burn it up and when everything is the same except for the powder, and I keep coming back to seeing it's the T7 as the only headache handing powder I have shot. I have plenty of the Winchester reloading primers as well as a steady source for Cheddites to ignite my BH209 powder during the deer season and since I know the Winchesters do well in really cold weather with the 209 powder, I reserve them for that purpose.

There are plenty of other powders out there I could try but T7 is as far backwards as I am going to go from BH209. My fussing with stuff has ended. I am happy with what I shoot and happy with the components and darned happy with the field results. Now.... if this wind will quit for a morning I plan to try my hand at smokeless. I have three powders all weighed out and a couple bullet choices. I'll be shooting sabots. I'll be shooting a Woodman Patriot with a McGowan 1:17 24" barrel. Lighter loads to start. More to come on this adventure when the wind decides that Canada needs a decent blow as that will work well for the club I shoot.

Left the rifle loaded with Blackhorn outside all night. It was 10° here at dawn. Went up into the mountains with the loaded rifle, and primers in the back outside. Shot the load into the same target as yesterday using the 209MZ primer. It was 6° up there this morning. One does not want to touch the rifle barrel at 6°. Ignition of Blackhorn was instantaneous.

G_0331.jpg

Cold cold weather is forcast for next week. May be able to shoot some more then.

Wow, That's amazing!! I would have thought the Blackhorn would have never went off. That primer must be hot enough to do the job. I have found more than one fellow that bought the Blackhorn when it came out years ago and sighted in when the weather was good only for the gun not to go off in cold temps because of the 777 style primer.

What breech plug is being used in the test?

Am using Bestill' breech plug.

Myself, i agree the breech plug design is important when one shoots Blackhorn. The OEM Omega plug is perfect for design, and i bet it would work great. Reason for using Bestill' plug is one can fit it to one's rifle, and primer.

Last edited:
At dawn this morning it was -16° at the house. Loaded rifle, and primer were outside all night. Load was same as OP. 100g Blackhorn, the land riding Speer, and the vegetable wad. The rifle, and primer rode in the back in the snow from house to the mountain.

This trip, in the rifle was a standard OEM Omega breech plug. Temperature on the mountain was zero degrees.

It felt like trigger finger might stick to the trigger; it didn't Ignition was instantaneous.

G_0333.jpg

WOW, THANK YOU 🙏 for Braving the Elements 🥶!!!

Did the OEM Plug have the Flash Channel drilled out to 5/32”?

Great News, Sounds like those Fed 209MZ are as the Factory Claims “ Equivalent to CCI 209M” 👍

Packaging does say “Compatible with FireStick and all conventional in-line muzzleloading systems”

Thanks for conducting these tests Ron! Very much appreciated.

BTW....You must be used to those temps! I'd be hiding under the blankets until spring! :rolleyes:

Back