Federal Premium 209MZ Muzzleloading Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a factory plug that is still un-altered it might be fun to see if those Federal MZ primers will ignite the BH209 in temps like these. My Accura V2 with a factory BH209 plug and Winchester shotshell primers will ignite BH209 at -8 below.... personal experience. A conventional non-bh209 plug from CVA and the same primers and 209 will result in a hang fire at temps as low as 11 degrees. Again, experience.

If you have a factory plug that is still un-altered it might be fun to see if those Federal MZ primers will ignite the BH209 in temps like these.

Already did -- yesterday morning. Ignition was instantaneous.

At dawn this morning it was -16° at the house. Loaded rifle, and primer were outside all night. Load was same as OP. 100g Blackhorn, the land riding Speer, and the vegetable wad. The rifle, and primer rode in the back in the snow from house to the mountain.

This trip, in the rifle was a standard OEM Omega breech plug. Temperature on the mountain was zero degrees.

It felt like trigger finger might stick to the trigger; it didn't Ignition was instantaneous.

View attachment 31564

From what I've been reading the Fed MZ's appear to be in between the 777 MZ type primers and the full power primers. There's a thread on here where someone was shooting conical bases (hopefully got that right) with the different primers over a chrono and these fell in between fps wise.

It was Ron (duh on my part)!

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/primers-compared.56434/

I live in Vermont. We have only 12 more weeks ‘til black fly season. Or summer.
You have to wait that long? At our cabin as soon as there are patches of bare ground the black demons are out and about. And it just gets worse as the rest of the snow goes away.

Latest posts

Back