QLA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vadeerhunter

Reaction score
SOME FELLOW BLACKPOWDER HUNTERS OF MINE HAD THE QLA CUT OFF THEIR OMEGAS AND HAD THE BARREL RECROWNED.THEY ARE TELLING ME THE ACCURACY IS 100% BETTER.WITH ALL THE VAST KNOWLEDGE HERE AT THIS FORUM CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN WHY THE ACCURACY WOULD BE THAT MUCH BETTER.I CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT.I SAW 1 OF THE GUNS TONIGHT AN IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THAT.

I hope it looks like it came from the factory which indicates the barrel cutting and re-crowning was professionaly done. It better be to shoot well.

I have never had a "QLA" cut off but some shooters have. If the crown inside the "QLA" is not concentric which can happen from T/C, the rifle will not group. Then again a bad crown on a centerfire rifle will not group either.

Chocdog

Think of it this way.

We know that a good crown at the muzzle is important to rifle accuracy. That's why it's recommended to clean cartridge guns from the breech - to avoid damage or wear to the crown. Bench rest ML shooters use a "false muzzle" when cleaning or loading for the same reason. Many muzzle loaders use a brass or nylon bore guide to protect the crown when swabbing the barrel.

Now with some QLAs (not all for some reason) it seems that when the bullet transitions from the rifled barrel to the QLA, gas blowing between the bullet and QLA is not evenly distributed around the circumference of the bullet and has an effect on accuracy - similar to a damaged crown. It may be that the QLA is not perfectly aligned with the bore, or the transition point between rifling and QLA is poorly formed. Who knows. But there enough reports of QLAs affecting accuracy that I have to believe it does happen on some guns.

Semisane..........thanks for the reply.i now have a better understanding why the accuracy is better in their inlines.the way you have explained it really helped me to understand.an yes ..the work was done by a quality gunsmith.THANKS AGAIN.

Vadeerhunter said:
SOME FELLOW BLACKPOWDER HUNTERS OF MINE HAD THE QLA CUT OFF THEIR OMEGAS AND HAD THE BARREL RECROWNED.THEY ARE TELLING ME THE ACCURACY IS 100% BETTER.WITH ALL THE VAST KNOWLEDGE HERE AT THIS FORUM CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN WHY THE ACCURACY WOULD BE THAT MUCH BETTER.I CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT.I SAW 1 OF THE GUNS TONIGHT AN IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THAT.

I was wonder about this exact topic incase I can't find a conical that shoots good.

1) What bullets are they shooting that they noticed an increase in accuracy?

2) What did it cost them to have it done?

3) Blued or Stainless barrels?

Thanks!

Once the bullet is loaded, a QLA section can do nothing but detract from accuracy. On some rifles the effect is minimal, on others it's dramatic.

I had a problematic 209x45 SS Encore. First barrel was just plain BAAAAD and, after fooling with it too long, when the replacement barrel came I immediately had the QLA section cut off and recrowned by a gunsmith friend. He put an 11 degree target crown on the bore and shortened the ramrod while he was at it. Later discovered the target crown interfered with easy loading so I redid the crown using a grinding ball and a cordless drill. That barrel shot terrific afterward.

I recently sold the rifle to a fellow in Illinois. Here is his his feedback after shooting it for the first time: "I had a chance to shoot the gun for the 1st time today. I REALLY like it. I put a 3x9 Leupold on it and am putting 225 grain powerbelts in the same hole at 100 yrds. The shockwaves are also doing well but Illinois has a stupid law regarding the projectile out of a M/L needing to be a minimum of .44 Cal and the sabots don't make it. But I am very pleased and I hope you are enjoying your new guns as much as I am enjoying this one."

Cajun.........one guy is shooting the 300gr hornady an the other is using the 250gr hornady.that was their primary bullet they had been using but i think they will be experimenting with different bullets an loads to try an tweak them better.As far as cost they did not provide me with that info ...but i will ask an see what the cost is.both of the inlines did have blued barrels though.I am pondering about this for my omega as well but i would want to talk with someone that has had that done for awhile an see if there is any cons about it.i would hate to screw up a good barrel for nothing.as soon as i find out more i will post it.

Has anyone had their Omega QLA removed and if so did it help in any way. also has anyone used the above smith or can you recommend anyone.

Latest posts

Back